R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Front Strut install ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 04:14 PM
brokedown
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Strut install ??

Thanks to this forum, I was able to drop my sub frame assembly and replace lower, inner ball joints, control arm bushings/brackets and sway bar bushings.

Now, as I come down the home stretch, I'm at the point of installing new front struts and there lies my problem.
Removing the old strut was a breeze......removed the pinch bolt it slipped out without a problem.
Installing the new strut isn't going as smoothly because I can't get it to slide in the steering knuckle. I've sanded down the heaving coating of paint on strut and tried coating the strut with a thin layer of lube.........all to no avail.

So, I'm hoping someone can help by providing a tip or advice on what I may be doing incorrectly.

The plan is to finish this in the morning and then take it to the alignment shop.

Thanks!!

Old 12-30-2011, 08:18 AM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
What brand of struts are these? Someone with similar should be able to help.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:24 AM
THE ITCH
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
They have spreader tools available in the market. You can get by using a 1/4" socket extention in the pinch bolt slot and twisting to open the knuckel a little.
Steve

Old 12-30-2011, 04:00 PM
brokedown
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Strut Install

The job is finished and I learned plenty along the way.
As for the brand of struts, I used Billstein Touring struts.
I ended up using a 3M abrasive disk in my drill and removed the paint from the strut area that slides into the knuckle. Using a file, I dressed the bottom edge of the strut dressing the edge to a 45 degree angle. I then used a drum sander attachment and lightly cleaned up the knuckle. I did use a 1/4 drive extention in the slot to help spread it just a bit. The key is where you position the extention so as to allow full insertion of the strut.
I then dry fit the strut to ensure I wouldn't have any problems. After some fine tuning, the strut slipped in just fine.
My last step was to apply a thin coating of anti seize.

The complete job encompassed changing struts, strut mounts, inner ball joints, lower control arm brackets with new bushings, and sway bar bushings.

I tried the "short cut" method of removing the lc brackets but, it didn't work. So, I dropped the sub frame, etc and went to work.
Personally, that's what I'd recommend to anyone considering doing this install. It's not too bad and to assist me with this I simply kept my laptop on the work bench and referenced several posts that walk you through the process.

I just returned from the alignment shop so I'm good to go for now.
A tire purchase is on the near horizon but need to wait until next payday firsts as funds are a bit low right now.

I like the ride and I really like the fact that I was able to do the work myself......that allowed me to really become familiar with the car.

Thanks to all for providing the various information on this forum!!