R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Picked up an 03' R53 JCW....dissapointed with the power..normal??

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 06:25 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
Picked up an 03' R53 JCW....dissapointed with the power..normal??

I just picked up a super clean 2003 R53 Mini with the JCW package on it (at least that's what it says on the intercooler...and it does have the JCW exhaust on it.

I've never driven any mini before, but I'm not really impressed with the power this thing makes...and I'm wondering if there is something wrong with it. If I blip the gas pedal while it's idling...the throttle response is very slow and sluggish. It doesn't seem to really make much power until I get the rpms up over 3000 or so. I can start hearing the supercharger start to make it's distinctive whine at around 4500rpms...and the motor pulls all the way up to the red-line. But I was expecting it to make the kind of power that would light up the tires in 1st gear if you really got on it...but it doesn't do that at all. Don't get me wrong, it's not a dog....but I was expecting 200+hp to deliver at least some decent torque steer in 1st gear..and at least break the tires loose.

Does that sounds about normal...or is something wrong with my "new to me" R53? It idles great, delivers smooth power, and shows 35+mpg on the highway....but I'm just worried that it's not making enough power.

Is it possible that someone took the 15% JCW pulley off and put the standard pulley on there? Could the pressure bypass valve on the supercharger been bleeding off boost? I guess I should install a boost gauge and see what kind of numbers I'm getting.

OR....is what I described pretty normal...and I'm just expecting too much?

Any info would be great! Thanks guys!!

PS.....I love this little car, so much fun to drive!!

Old 08-11-2011, 07:11 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Bad throttle response is pretty common on these cars, and they do tend to start making power at 3000RPM. I have an R50 so I can't speak directly to your issues, but I have driven an R53 and had the same impressions.

A tune or a Sprint Booster will help with throttle response quite a bit. A tune will net you power gains as well, of course. I have a Sprint Booster in my R50 and it feels punchier than the stock R53 and R56S's I drove, even though it has MUCH less power. Best $300 I've spent.

I'm sure experienced R53 owners will chime in though!

Old 08-11-2011, 08:09 PM
ACEkraut11
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My understanding is that the JCW package came with an 11% pulley. It is hard to know if the package was installed at the dealer, at the factory or somewhere else and therefore exactly what you have installed from the JCW package. Do you have any paperwork that confirms exactly what was done to the car and where?

Old 08-11-2011, 08:13 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ACEkraut11
My understanding is that the JCW package came with an 11% pulley. It is hard to know if the package was installed at the dealer, at the factory or somewhere else and therefore exactly what you have installed from the JCW package. Do you have any paperwork that confirms exactly what was done to the car and where?
No paper work confirming what's actually been done to it.....but it's got the JCW interior, JCW cover on the intercooler, JCW tuning kit tag on the valve cover, JCW exhaust....so I'm assuming that it's got the full JCW kit.

I thought I read somewhere that the JCW kits were installed at the factory only after 04', before that...there were installed by the dealership....but who knows.

Maybe I need to swap out the 11% JCW pulley for a 17% pulley?

Last edited by IQRaceworks; 08-11-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:21 PM
Evasive
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Might be too obvious but just in case - if you're trying to light up the tires make sure you have the traction control off. Otherwise it'll just cut off the power.

My 15% pulley MCS breaks traction 1st to 3rd.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:57 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
From what I've found:
First off the pre '04 to '05 JCW did not make as much power as the post, 200bhp out of the factory/dealer maybe (most likely in the area of 155whp or so)

First things to do:
Plugs, NGK 1 to 2 steps colder (I think it's the 7's)
Clean or replace the air filter (if you replace it I prefer a cleanable foam)
While you're in there go ahead and remove the flap at the rear of the air box.
DT/BPV (esp. on an '03) will give you more response.
**TUNE** you can really wake up a JCW car with a good tune, I've seen JCW's make in the 190's whp with a good custom tune.
As far as the pulley is concerned JCW's are 12% or so, if you can, check your boost, should be 12.5 to13.5, if not check for leaks and such. You can change the pulley but be fore-warned the JCW pulleys have been known to be a real M/F'r to remove, many have had to be cut off, so be prepared if you decide to tackle the job yourself. (personally I've kept mine thinking that the gain might not be worth the trouble esp. since I like the high rpm's and would only go 15%)

Try these things first, good luck.

Last edited by BlwnAway; 08-12-2011 at 01:22 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:25 PM
martinb
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I've heard that the earlier models didn't have the greatest throttle response becuse of the way the control module is programmed. I here there are aftermarket parts/tunes that will help.

That said, my 06 JCW cabriolet will light the 215/40-18's up no problem.

Do you have the limited slip dif? If so, that's going to make it harder to light them up as both wheels are gripping.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:37 PM
duvinclunk
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Felt the exact same way when I purchased my 2004 JCW. I have owned several high horsepower cars since my first MINI but this thing just lacks the oomph I remember from the first. Figure a good tune and pulley can sort that out...

Old 08-12-2011, 02:42 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Can someone give me more info on the "tunes" for the R53's? Do I have to call up a custom shop for a tune....or can I buy a tuner that plugs into my mini and upload different tunes? I haven't seen the programmers for the minis' like you do with other cars and trucks out there.....I'm just trying to figure out how I can get a new tune in my car.

Thanks

Old 08-13-2011, 03:56 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
Any of the Plug-N-Play options that are out there are really not worth it, a custom tune is the only thing that really works, esp. for what you need.

And that depends on where you're at:
Grass Roots in NC
Way Motor Works GA
RMW CA
Mynes CA

If you're not near any of these, RMW offers a remote tune and Mynes offers an option to do it yourself.

If you decide to use someone locally just make sure they are familiar with BMW / Siemens Logic tuning.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:22 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Well, after doing some checking and measuring...it looks like my mini has a stock "non JCW" pulley on it. With all of the other JCW stuff on it (exhaust, IC cover, JCW Kit sticker on the valve cover)...I just assumed that it had all of the JCW stuff on it...like the 11% pulley, I guess I was wrong.

So now I guess I will order one of the Way 17% pulley kits and see how that peps it up. I bought this car to save on the price of gas....but it seems like I'm just spending all of that money I'm saving on performance parts

Old 08-13-2011, 08:24 AM
hernlui
2nd Gear
Go ahead and get the Dtroit Tuned BPV while you're at it. It's only $125 and it will help boost kick in sooner.
Good bang for the buck, besides, it's been known for the springs in the BPV to break or become weak.
When you swap the pulley, be sure to get an appropriate shorter belt that won't slip. Goodyear Gatorback works great.
Hope this helps.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:58 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Any true jcw should make you smile....
I would have it looked at before spending too much $$ on random parts...
A compression check, and a few basics on scheduled mantance....plugs (easy to do with the compression check), filters etc....even a new belt...
Maybe check the SC with a boost guage...it could be worn out...it IS A WEAR ITEM. Depending on if a bad airfilter was used....it could have lots of wear....if a fabric/foam filter was used, it could have been overoiled....covering sensors....
Bypass valve can be zip tired sit before spending $$$ on a new one.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:01 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
The stock and jcw pulley look the same....both hotpressed steel.
On a early jcw, the SC is coated compared to non jcw cars...good for a bit more efficiency, and a bit less heat...all 05+ cars got the coating.
It is possible you have jcw bits but not the engine kit+tune....a dealer can tell you with the computer hooked up 100% for sure....maybe from a vin#.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:50 PM
kazlot
4th Gear
Picked up an 03' R53 JCW....

Go here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...confusion.html post #4
to see the difference between the 200 hp and 210 hp tuning kits.

As suggested by others a tune would be a very good idea.
Lots of bang for the buck. My car picked up 10 lbs. tq and 13 hp.
The key here is a 'significant driveability improvement' over stock.

Hope this helps...

Old 08-13-2011, 07:14 PM
ACallahan
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Early JCW 's did not have the CAI or the 380 fuel injectors. Try adding 380's and a aftermarket CAI and see if you like that.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:40 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Actually your car sounds quite normal. From the sounds of it you do have a dealer installed JCW kit and as someone mentioned, it will look like the stock pulley. One thing to keep in mind is that on the pre-'05 cars the gearing was a lot longer, particularly in first gear, which is why it probably doesn't feel as peppy down low. Also, despite being supercharged, this is a 1.6 liter engine, so it's not going to produce gobs of torque, particularly down low. Combine that with the gearing and it sounds exactly like what you are experiencing. Going with a 15 or 17% pulley will surely help a bit in increasing the power available down low, but a good custom tune will help a lot as well.

Good luck and happy motoring!

Old 08-17-2011, 07:00 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Well guys...I think I finally found out why my mini was so down on power...and just didn't feel like 200hp should. I started looking around, and found out that my bypass valve has a broken spring, and wasn't closing all the way...bleeding off lots of boost.

So to test out my theory....I wired the BPV shut, and went for a quick ride around the block. WOW.....it feels like it gained 50hp!! This mini has tons of power now....torque steer in 1st is a handful, and 2nd gear isn't much better. I'm very happy now

......now my only question now is if I should go with the VGS mod and leave the bad spring in the stock BPV....or just spend the money on a DT BVP and replace it.

I do lots of highway miles to and from work.....so not loosing a bunch of MPG at cruising speeds (70mph...3000rpms) is a big concern to me. What's the best option??

Old 08-17-2011, 07:21 PM
hernlui
2nd Gear
Told ya

Don't leave your JCW with a broken part! If I were you, I'd get the Detroit Tuned. Don't do the VGS mod unless you have a yo-yo problem. Results are not consistent.

If you are not willing to spend $125 on the DT BPV, just put up a WTB in Marketplace and I'm sure you can get a used one from another member. I'd sell you one I have here, but I'm in another country...

Anyway, it's something you can swap out yourself, no big deal. Just do a search here.

Good luck.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:27 PM
hernlui
2nd Gear
Regarding mileage, the DT would decrease your fewl efficiency only in city driving, as it makes boost kick in at lower revs. That's it. At 3K BOTH oem and DT would behave the same. If you're accelerating, at 3K both would be closed.
At highway cruising speed, mileage would not be affected at all.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:49 PM
duvinclunk
5th Gear
Originally Posted by IQRaceworks
Well guys...I think I finally found out why my mini was so down on power...and just didn't feel like 200hp should. I started looking around, and found out that my bypass valve has a broken spring, and wasn't closing all the way...bleeding off lots of boost.

So to test out my theory....I wired the BPV shut, and went for a quick ride around the block. WOW.....it feels like it gained 50hp!! This mini has tons of power now....torque steer in 1st is a handful, and 2nd gear isn't much better. I'm very happy now
I want to check if this is my problem too. How do you wire the BPV shut?

Old 08-21-2011, 02:36 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Well, I finally got the new DT BPV installed. It was actually pretty simple....took about an hour and a half to complete the job. The car runs so much better now.....it actually has power when you get on the gas now! According to my boost gauge, I'm getting around 12psi at WOT .....I'm assuming that's about right since it's a JCW car with the 11% JCW pulley on it. It runs great now!! I was thinking about getting the 17% pulley for it, but now that it's running good...I think I'll just leave it for awhile.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:31 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by IQRaceworks
Well, I finally got the new DT BPV installed. It was actually pretty simple....took about an hour and a half to complete the job. The car runs so much better now.....it actually has power when you get on the gas now! According to my boost gauge, I'm getting around 12psi at WOT .....I'm assuming that's about right since it's a JCW car with the 11% JCW pulley on it. It runs great now!! I was thinking about getting the 17% pulley for it, but now that it's running good...I think I'll just leave it for awhile.
Glad to hear you got it worked out

Now go out and enjoy your newfound power

Old 08-21-2011, 03:46 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Congrats...glad it was a simple item!!
Like stated above, go have fun..the power, and modding is addictive, and the jcw is a great starting point imo!!

Old 08-21-2011, 04:01 PM
Cavalier Cooper
3rd Gear
Edit: didn't read the whole thread first...

Quick Reply: R50/53 Picked up an 03' R53 JCW....dissapointed with the power..normal??