R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Delivered quality

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 04:50 PM
maddog2020
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's hard to say this as an Englishman (all-be-it transplanted to California), but my Mini at least, seems to demonstrate the British build quality sterotype. One day after I picked up my MCS, the right side light assembly (the silver bit with the S on it) fell out. It kept doing it, until I figured out that the flange it clips into was bent, bent it back, and heard a satisfying click as the assembly finally snapped into place properly. Then this morning I hit a small bump in the road and found the trim panel under the steering wheel resting on my knees. This snapped back into place with no problem, but you've gotta wonder.....

Hopefully these will be my only problems, other than the fact that this car makes me drive like a raging psychopath. What a blast to drive, I wonder when I'm going to find out where the edge of the envelope is.......

I had a friend whose first ever car (20+ years ago) was a Mini drive the MCS. His comment was that it was amazing how like the original Mini it was to drive, only faster, handling better, and more comfortable. He now drives a 1996 Porsche C4 by the way.

Old 01-12-2004, 07:56 PM
C4
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
>>It's hard to say this as an Englishman (all-be-it transplanted to California), but my Mini at least, seems to demonstrate the British build quality sterotype. One day after I picked up my MCS, the right side light assembly (the silver bit with the S on it) fell out. It kept doing it, until I figured out that the flange it clips into was bent, bent it back, and heard a satisfying click as the assembly finally snapped into place properly. Then this morning I hit a small bump in the road and found the trim panel under the steering wheel resting on my knees. This snapped back into place with no problem, but you've gotta wonder.....
>>
>>Hopefully these will be my only problems, other than the fact that this car makes me drive like a raging psychopath. What a blast to drive, I wonder when I'm going to find out where the edge of the envelope is.......
>>
>>I had a friend whose first ever car (20+ years ago) was a Mini drive the MCS. His comment was that it was amazing how like the original Mini it was to drive, only faster, handling better, and more comfortable. He now drives a 1996 Porsche C4 by the way.
>>
>>

Well, my '04 MCS, (Sept '03 build) has been excellent. Tight as a drum and the car has had absolutely ZERO manufacturing faults. 3,500 miles and not once back to the dealer since taking delivery on October 3rd, 2003.

As far as your trim under dash panel falling on your knees, I think you need to slow down when driving on bad roads or approaching potholes, or better yet, avoiding them all together. Don't fault the car. I think bad roads and bad driving habits go a long way into creating problems that otherwise may seem as "build quality issues".

Enjoy your MINI. This car is a far cry from the days of shoddy British assembly quality and LUCAS electrical systems. This car has BMW written all over it.