R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 My Best MINI Story - Share yours too!

Old 11-15-2003, 09:12 AM
Pebbles
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, yesterday, I had had my Chili Red MCS, Mr Bridger, for 10 days. He was dirty from the drizzle rains we've had and there was a sunny break in the weather so I ran him over to our local Genie Car Wash. It's the car wash that has a large viewing window from the lobby so you can watch your car get sprayed down by the robot. It's pretty cool!

Now, I pay and turn to watch my car go down the line. There was 2 other ladies and a lady with a boy all watching too! The lady with the little boy would every so often say "It will be here soon and you'll see it get washed" or "Just wait, it will be here"... and I'm thinking "how cute". Then all of a sudden she says quite loud too "Jeremy, look, it's here!!!!" He was about 4 years old and yelled out " THERE IT IS " to which I turn to see his Mom's car . . . .

but it was MY MINI that had started down the line

The little boy sort of cheered when the spraying foam started. and in my heart, I felt the same joy! but it was my MINI's first wash! Then his Mom turned to me and said "we saw you drive up. What type car is that?". So I answered 4-5 car questions and we all proceeded outside to watch the man dry him off and wash his wheels! When he was done, they said Bye to me when I left!

WOW
It was surreal !
I couldn't believe it was happening!

so all you MINI owners . . . Share your best MINI story ! !

Old 11-15-2003, 09:32 AM
10851CS
Former Vendor
Great story. I have someone come and wash my at my house. It's cheaper and a better job and none of the brushes and people that don't know how to wash a car drying it.

My stories are usually a costo gas pumps where everyone asks questions. quite a few people have told me they want one. I said drive it and you'll buy it.

earl :smile: :smile:

Old 11-15-2003, 09:49 AM
Bk_MCS
5th Gear
One time I passed a GTI and the kid didnt like it so he sped up and passed me, so I had to pass him back.

The same night I pull up to a light and this kid about 16 is yelling at me from his car next to mine (an old beat up Integra with a girl driving, he probably thought he was rice king or something), my window is up, I roll it down and he asks me if it's fast, I said yes and then sped off around the corner chirping tires.

My neighbor with a 70K lexus SC 430 and a BMW Z3 came over one day while I was bathing him and asked me all sorts of questions and told me how cool he thought they were.

All of that was in the first weekend at the end of the first week of ownership. Had it about 3 weeks now, even though I barely drive it cause I'm 3 hours away .

Old 11-15-2003, 09:53 AM
Andrewsky
3rd Gear
"My neighbor with a 70K lexus SC 430 and a BMW Z3 came over one day while I was bathing him and asked me all sorts of questions and told me how cool he thought they were."

Bathing him?

Hehe

Old 11-15-2003, 10:02 AM
Bk_MCS
5th Gear
You people! Every time it happens. Dont you name your MINIs. My MINIs name is Andre, thus he is male, thus I bathe him not her. No I'm not gay, my girlfriend just lives 3 hours away, lol, but really, I'm not gay, and no offense either.

Old 11-15-2003, 11:28 AM
kumquat78
3rd Gear
Sorry bro, from the context I think we thought you were bathing the neighbor. Thought that only happened in my area.

Old 11-15-2003, 11:36 AM
Andrewsky
3rd Gear
>>You people! Every time it happens. Dont you name your MINIs. My MINIs name is Andre, thus he is male, thus I bathe him not her. No I'm not gay, my girlfriend just lives 3 hours away, lol, but really, I'm not gay, and no offense either.

I wasn't calling you gay, I just thought that saying "bathing him" was funny compared to "washing him". That's all.:smile:

Old 11-15-2003, 11:49 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
:smile: :smile: I like that Bk_MCS said he "bathes" his baby! Sounds much gentler than washing and I know we all baby our babies, tee hee!

When I drove Wanda cross-country, except for the Tail of the Dragon MINI Meet, I was usually the only MINI on the road and I loved the intense rubber-necking...the double and triple takes of folks checking her out! I especially loved Bubba-stuffed pickups in the South...whoa, baby! They'd look at her like we were from outer space, tee hee!!

Old 11-15-2003, 11:51 AM
inioway
6th Gear
BK_MCS, it is kind of a funny sentence. It would sure be a friendly neighborhood if you did bathe each other too. My preference would also be co-ed but "not that there's anything wrong with it" for those with other preferences in that department.

My favorite experience so far is a call I got from a woman I'd just met and in conversation mentioned having Mrs. Peel, my CR/W gal I bathe. By coincidence her 12 yr. old daughter had mentioned at the dinner table that same night how if she could have any car it would be a MC. When asked what color: CR/W. Of course, that kid got a ride in her (that's Peel, Emma Peel) the next day.

Today as I walked up to her (Mrs. Peel) a couple was admiring the car and I heard the man say, "they are supposed to be incredibly safe cars" (I think maybe laying groundwork for eventually springing that he wanted one). I told them it was, about the airbags and construction. Of course, I then got the usual "It's also really cute" from her. That's from the woman, Mrs. Peel said nothing.

Old 11-15-2003, 06:17 PM
apexer
6th Gear
Last nite I took my wife to K-Mart to get something from the pharmacy. It was dark and I pulled behind a white Cadillac that was parked right in front almost up to the entrance ramp. I know that is a no parking fire zone but, since I stayed in the car with the motor running (it was cold out) and parking lights on, I could move it if it became necessary.
Many who walked by looked at my 04 mcs, smiled, a couple waived, etc. Frankly, I was digging it.
Some guy was looking at the Mini as he drove by me from the rear, his head turning as he came along side of me. At the same time a lady pushing a cart started walking out from in front of the Caddy.... I saw what was happening and blew my horn. The guy looked foreward just in time to slam on his brakes... damn near hit her.
Just then my wife came out and I told her I was just getting ready to move before I get someone killed.
"Got to be careful where you park your Mini for more that the usual reasons".

Old 11-15-2003, 06:31 PM
Bk_MCS
5th Gear
I know what you guys mean, but HE's more than a car, that's why I BATHE him...
LOL

DISCLAIMER
**I'm not gay and no offense to those who are**

Old 11-15-2003, 06:41 PM
CooperBeagle
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have soooooooooo many MINI stories... here's just one: A couple of weeks ago I was traveling across state on a main highway, when at one of the few lights, I found myself next to a Ford Focus. It was filled with a few 20 something guys and they asked me to roll down my window. With great respect, the driver asked me all about my MCS... then he said, "Well, do you want to race at the green?" I said that I'd give it a go... then I smoked him big time. A few miles down the road they caught up and gave me enthusiastic thumbs up. Very nice.

God speed.

Old 11-15-2003, 07:17 PM
mikeoconnor1
2nd Gear
Today I stopped in at a local sandwich shop. The teenage girl working there really liked the car. Says she wants to get one. The owner starts asking really dumb questions though.
What does it get for mileage?
About 30.
Is that it?

And
Can it get out of it's own way?

Time to go at that point. Hope the girl was setting this guy straight.

Best story was when we met some Harley owners at a Dairy Queen. Talked for a few hours about the MINI and the Harleys. You sure do meet some nice people with this car.

Old 11-15-2003, 09:22 PM
Pebbles
6th Gear
>>"My neighbor with a 70K lexus SC 430 and a BMW Z3 came over one day while I was bathing him and asked me all sorts of questions and told me how cool he thought they were."
>>

Hey, all of a sudden I feel like a bad Mother. Here's a fine MINI getting bathed with loving care and I take Mr Bridger to the robots to run down the line of the car wash!! Yikes! I need to give him some quality time!

Old 11-16-2003, 04:44 AM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Bk_MCS..... You know, I never once assumed you were gay... until you started putting the disclaimers in your posts!

Old 11-16-2003, 06:08 AM
inioway
6th Gear
I got a similar remark from a nice old guy who parked next to me at a recyling center. As we were both putting embarrassing numbers of empty beer bottles into our machines he said while head-motioning back to my car, "looks like rain so maybe it'll grow". Afraid maybe I'd take it as an insult (I didn't) he added as I turned to walk away, "sure is cute". Guess I might as well get used to that ubiquitous comment unless I'm willing to trade Mrs. Peel in for a truck...naw.

Pebbles, I don't think you are a bad parent, but you should try the joys of hand bathing Mr. Bridger (and if you go through an automatic be sure it is a "touchless one with no brushes).

Old 11-17-2003, 02:24 PM
Cooptime
3rd Gear
Well, I always have people looking at the car in parking lots. The most awkward part is when you see people staring at it when you are about to get it. I feel bad pressing the button, b/c the lights coming on startels the onlookers. Then it's wierd b/c they apologize for looking at it, etc etc. Must have happened a million times.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:33 PM
BMBULBE
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
While I waited for a traffic light, a big black sedan pulled along-side. It looked nice so I started checking it out. Nice body lines. Bright silver wheels. Good paint job. Nice, sharp car. A Mercedes. Then, I noticed the sidewalls with their "BLIZZAK" script in big block letters. The light changed, and she was off.

Blizzaks in August in Chicago in 90 degree weather. WOWZA!!!!!

Old 08-16-2009, 08:52 PM
Normalizer
4th Gear
I pre-ordered my '02 MCS a year or so before they went into production and it was delivered on the first load of cars to hit Tennessee. I immediately hit the road, to get the breakin period over asap, and headed out to the country to some cool backroads I knew and ended up in Tupelo, MS before coming home. In the first week my car caused at least 3 car accidents and one motorcycle wreck from people staring as I drove past. I even saw a kid on a dirtbike wreck in his yard from not paying attention as he stared at the car.

Back in Nashville things were better, but still surreal. I was filling up with gas and a kid pointed the car out to his father who told him it was an Aston Martin. I said thanks, but it's a MINI. As he walked away he told his son that I was a moron for not even knowing what kind of car I was driving. I was shaking my head laughing and the clerk in the gas station came out and asked me if it was solar - WHILE I was pumping GAS. I told him it ran on hydrogen and carbon, which he thought was cool.

Another time, at a movie theatre directly next door to the MINI dealer, while I was circling looking for a safe parking spot, my buddy who had bought the tickets already and was waiting for me overheard two ladies talking about the car, one of whom said she'd blow the driver to get a ride in it. When I walked up to get my ticket he immediately introduced me to them and they walked away angry. I had no idea what that was about until after the movie.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:38 PM
RockyMC40
3rd Gear
I was driving by the local elementary school, I pulled up next to a school bus as I waited to make my turn. All of the sudden I hear one young kid go "Cool Car!" then all the sudden there were heads popping out of every window up and down the length of the bus all yelling cool car and such. Kids really love them.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:19 AM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
I would mention my favorite MINI story but it might sound too Penthouse Letters for NAM! Plus it involves a new co-worker that looks like Jessica Alba

Old 08-17-2009, 07:51 AM
Not4no1
5th Gear
I've had lots of comments & even more stares. The most recent story was when I was walkiing out of the grocery store & started the top down procedures, so Butters will be ready for me when I make it to the back of the lot...anyway...

...As I get closer I see a women with 2 kids (maybe 5yr old girl & 7yr old boy) & the Mom says quite loudly "That's Tight!".
By this time I am walking up behind them & the daughter says "Mom! Stop saying that"

Mom replies "But it is. Look at it"

Then the mom sees me & gets slightly embarresed. While her daughter continues their converstaion stating:

"I know it is, but you need to stop saying that."

Then I get complements from both of them saying how much they like Butters. The little boy just hid in the MiniVan untill I drove off...I can't wait till my daughter is old enough so I can embarrass her some day

Old 08-17-2009, 09:48 AM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Latest one for me was Saturday.
My sons and I spotted a Nissan GT-R in the parking lot and pulled up next to it to look at it. While we were looking at the GT-R 4 different cars drove by and someone in the passing car pointed at my MINI.
I like my MINI but we were standing next to a freaking GT-R.
Just shows the power of the MINI and the under education of the public about real super cars.