R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 How can you tell if a Mini has been abused?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 10:33 AM
minipooper!
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How can you tell if a Mini has been abused?

Are there any tell tale signs a Mini might have been driven hard? I know one thing to look for is a beat up bottom...dented skid plates. When buying used you just never know outside of a Carfax search.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:42 AM
SNEEEZY - Erika
Rattle Can Queen!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by minipooper!
Are there any tell tale signs a Mini might have been driven hard? I know one thing to look for is a beat up bottom...dented skid plates. When buying used you just never know outside of a Carfax search.
Don't put too much "reliability" on Carfax reports; only incidents which were reported to an insurance company will be listed on a Carfax report.

A car (any vehicle, not just MINI) can be in an accident and if the owner knows someone handy with bodywork, the repair can be done "under the radar" so the owner avoids an increase in insurance premiums.

Good luck!

Old 05-14-2008, 10:44 AM
Xymox
5th Gear
Buy new.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:48 AM
minipooper!
Neutral
New is nice.....taking donations....send money.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:52 AM
bthayer23
2nd Gear
Check tire wear. If you see a section on the outside edge of the tread, kind of a ring of rubber in an area that's not usually worn, that looks blistered, that could mean the previous owner did some track or autocross time. Uneven wear across the tread profile would tell you how hard they corner, too.

That said, there's a difference between abuse and spirited driving, i.e. there's no way to check how often the previous owner changed the oil. There's also a lot of grey area, too, so just use your judgement.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:55 AM
Deviant
5th Gear
I wouldn't rely on the undercarriage inspection too much. When I drive my MINI hard the undercarriage doesn't take a beating, as I ease into most driveways and parking lots or idle across a gravel parking lot is when most of the damage occurs.

I'd look for things like abnormally worn tires and brakes or even search around the inside for things that might indicate the owner was a little more spirited than average such as a dragstrip timeslip that fell under the seat (I only mention that because I've seen it).

Old 05-14-2008, 10:57 AM
minipooper!
Neutral
Yes...it's a crap shoot for sure. A good dealer can mask all sorts of potential problems. Maybe a crysal ball?

Old 05-14-2008, 11:18 AM
findude
4th Gear
You might look for mushrooming on the strut towers, I've heard that's a problem. It might point to bad luck with potholes rather than abusive driving habits.

Probably the best way is to do some interview research with the owner/seller. Just chat them up, ask the how the car drives, where the good twisties are, see if they have ever tracked it. It's amazing the information people will give you if you seem interested and stay quiet enough for them to talk. When they pause as if they have finished with an answer, say nothing and remain expressionless--that's when they will really uncover interesting stuff.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:20 AM
davavd
6th Gear
Like this??

Last edited by davavd; 05-14-2008 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:55 AM
minipooper!
Neutral
Just like that!!! Yea.......perfect.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:06 PM
pmustang
4th Gear
In the UK, when you buy a used car, like I just did, you get the title (V5) that says the last owner and his address on it, I really want to contact him but may not want to hear what he has to say. Sometimes it is best to NOT know.

Peter

Old 05-14-2008, 12:09 PM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
how can you tell if a Mini has ben abused
if it's in rehab

Old 05-14-2008, 12:19 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
The hair do and clothes of the owner can yield several clues...

Old 05-14-2008, 12:20 PM
MRGTX
1st Gear
[SIZE=2]I agree with what has been said, but a few things that are valuable as rules of thumb-
Check to see if the shoulders on the tires are rounded off (the way mine always look!! :D ) or any other strange wear (as mentioned above)
If tires look okay, make sure that they're no too new and may have been replaced prematurely.
Pay attention to where and how the clutch grabs.. It it engages too high, it may have been beaten or just poorly driven. You may need to drive a few to get a sense for what is normal. Clutch jobs are very costly in these cars…
Look at the condition of the interior… the seats and the headliner especially. If these show wear and neglect, you can bet the car wasn't well cared for.
Likewise with maintainence records… if they cared enough to keep them, they probably were taking good care of the car.
Don't flat out ask HOW the car was driven but try to get a sense through how they talk about it. If you ask, most people selling a car will know the wrong kind of answer and tell what you want to hear.
Try to find a car that hasn't been driven by younger people…young males will tend to drive a car hard, young girls will tend to neglect…sorry for the stereotypes!! :O
Basically, just keep the owner talking…and keep your radar tuned.
Good luck!!
[/SIZE]

Old 05-14-2008, 12:27 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If it jumps when U yell at it that's a sign of abuse, also look for signs of swelling around the headlights

Old 05-14-2008, 12:32 PM
mpdwag
2nd Gear
You can also check for curb rash on the sides of the rims. It won't tell you if it's been driven hard, but it will tell you it wasn't driven well.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:19 PM
Woobn8r
2nd Gear
If you're buying used...look for a lower mileage car...

...also check clutch engagement and slop in the shifter....
Some of them test pilots like to be a-rammin' & a-jammin'!

Old 05-14-2008, 01:58 PM
ToroPerro
3rd Gear
On of my favorite tactics is to let the seller drive first on the test drive. It can be very interesting. You'll get to see if he rides the clutch, down shifts or brakes, and a lot of other things that will likely be very different from how you'll drive. Just tell the seller that you want to ride in the car as a passenger for a few miles before you drive it

Old 05-14-2008, 02:09 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sequence
If it jumps when U yell at it that's a sign of abuse, also look for signs of swelling around the headlights

Old 05-14-2008, 02:15 PM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
AMEN! Halelujiah, PREACH on Brother minipooper!

I am passing my collection plate!

The problem is that MINIs begg to be driven agressively. There is a fine line between agressive driving and abuse.

Infact the only to ab-use a MINI, that I can think of, is to neglect it through non use.

I know of a 2004 R53 JCW that is slowly dying a sedentry death at home in a garage. They currently have 3 Mini's. His MINI sits neglected at home in the garage, because Wifie can't drive a manual. So hers is a R50 CVT automatic. Then she will not go out in the summer unless it is in the R52 S Drop top Slush box. And the R50 will be ab-used/neglected soon because they have a R55 S with slush box on order!

Thus two Neglected and ab-used MINIs in that SICK DEMENTED Family.

Last edited by DrDiff; 05-14-2008 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:37 PM
Jhud
4th Gear
usually when the CBS says -8000 for inspection and the rims are squared it may not have been taken care of.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:54 AM
minipooper!
Neutral
Maybe some day cars will have a little robot on board that will rat the previous owner(s) out.....

Old 05-15-2008, 10:21 AM
pmustang
4th Gear
I find that when you walk up calmly to a MINI with a rolled up newspaper and the headlights avert your eyes, its been abused.

Torro Perro has the best answer yet, I find it funny as when the dealer rep took me out in mine he was egging me on to shift at 6500 and hit the apex and give it some welly, Had he bin the PO I would have walked.

Peter

Old 05-15-2008, 01:47 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Is there a shelter for battered MINIs?

Generally, an 'abused' car will show signs of neglect, dirty engine compartment, loosening of the controls and switchgear, damage repairs, etc. Luckily, these are tough little cars and can take a lot of abuse without problems. Even pampered cars are not immune to troubles that crop up on their own.

It's best to have an indpendent mechanic or someone very knowledgable about cars to give the car a complete once-over, looking for crash damage, shoddy repairs, non-original parts, etc. Those are good first signs of a shady history.

One increasingly common issue given the extreme weather conditions going around lately are cars that have been 'flooded', then cleaned up and sold as typical used cars. These are often nightmares in waiting, as corrosion of electrical bits and structures can take a while to show up, and subsequent repairs are very expensive. While it is possible to repair a car that has practically been underwater, it has to be done promptly and thoroughly, niether of which is usually possible in a disaster area. Such cars sit and soak, and with battery power available, the electrical systems deteriorate very rapidly.

Look under carpeting for signs of mud and fine dirt in out-of-the-way places. If this is seen, stay away from that car.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:56 PM
Thinker2112
5th Gear
Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts
the youtube video is so funny! I love the end. Love the way that when he wants money that to not send anything,just call him and he'll pick it up. Love the way his eyes get huge!

Quick Reply: R50/53 How can you tell if a Mini has been abused?