R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Would you leave your MINI at the Airport??

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 11:02 AM
daniel1
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My job requires some travel. Recently, we received a memo indicating that we can no longer take a car service to the airport and we would have use our personal vehicles & park in the long-term parking lot. I just came back from a trip and used a car service. I was told that I couldn't do that anymore. I then told my boss that this would be a problem becuase I have a new car (MC) and wouldn't dare leave it at JFK or LGA! (NYC) Am I being overprotective of my MC?? What would you guys do??

Old 07-25-2003, 11:04 AM
red03miniS
Banned
yeah leaving the cars at aiports at long term parking is safe

i have left my cars at airports and nothing ever happend to them. my lexus/honda and couple of other cars. my parents also do it all the time.

Old 07-25-2003, 11:07 AM
C4
Banned
Should not be a problem. However remind your boss that if something happens to your car, you'll put it in his tab.

Old 07-25-2003, 11:11 AM
jerrygee
4th Gear
I have never had any problems with long term airport parking except that my car is always dirty when I return!

Old 07-25-2003, 11:13 AM
ronvan
3rd Gear
Is it legal for your employer to dictate how you get to the airport? Does your company have rules governing transportation to the office each morning? No taxis, only subways! Doesn't sound right to me. I wouldn't want to leave my car at the airport.

Old 07-25-2003, 11:15 AM
red03miniS
Banned
there are usually lots of porsches/benzes/nsx's parked in the parking lots..which means cars should be safe, otherwise these people woudnt park there :smile:

Old 07-25-2003, 11:27 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>Is it legal for your employer to dictate how you get to the airport? Does your company have rules governing transportation to the office each morning? No taxis, only subways! Doesn't sound right to me. I wouldn't want to leave my car at the airport.<<

I'm guessing that they mean they won't pay for car service to the airport, but that they'll reimburse for long-term parking. This seems strange, because unless you're taking a swanky limo with a hot tub in it or something, the costs are probably quite similar.

Old 07-25-2003, 11:30 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
I used to travel 90% of the time. I've used long term parking, to the point of it practically being my garage. Never had a problem. Use only a reputable place, and get to know the managers. They may allow you to park within sight of their booth for added security.

Old 07-25-2003, 11:39 AM
red03miniS
Banned
>>I used to travel 90% of the time. I've used long term parking, to the point of it practically being my garage. Never had a problem. Use only a reputable place, and get to know the managers. They may allow you to park within sight of their booth for added security.

very good idea. tipping the attendant is good idea too..though i never did..and never had any problems..but if i had a 911 turbo i would def tip them!

Old 07-25-2003, 12:23 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
It's a $20,000 hatch, not a 360 Modena. I have parked my MINI at the airport for extended periods. No problems.

Old 07-25-2003, 12:34 PM
Red
6th Gear
I park my car at LGA short term pretty often and never had a problem, even after 5-7 days. But then again it's a company car Taurus.

I won't even take the MINI to a Mall because it's a third car, and I don't want to expose it to damage. You may not have that luxury

A good rule is, bring it there dirty! It's less noticeable than a real shiny car IMHO.

Good luck.

Red

Old 07-25-2003, 12:44 PM
~Scooper~
3rd Gear
I have to do this for the first time next week, but after parking it in my apartment's garage for two weeks (on vacation) and returning to dings all the way down one side (Ford Explorer next to me)...let's just say I've now got a tolerance for this.

I'm a consultant, and spend a lot of time on the road. I'm guessing that your boss has some difficulty explaining the "car service" expense to some client/exec, and is not interested in paying for it out of profits. It's likely more reasonable-looking to whoever's footing the bill that a traveller parked his/her own car, and charged that cost through.

If you're flying out of LGA or JFK, and don't want to park...plenty of good public transportation. I mastered it when I was poor, but flying. Plus, you're not as worried about your new car, even if long term parking is safe.

Just my two cents. Have a nice trip! (business rarely is, though...huh?)

Old 07-25-2003, 12:56 PM
jeebus
1st Gear
I had to go on a business trip recently and had to leave my beautiful '02 PS/BLK in long term parking for a little over a week. I found a spot at the end of the row so I had plenty of room. Came back positive that my car was going to dinged and scratched but I was wrong. Just a little dusty. I could take a taxi and work would pay for that but since my neighborhood has gone to the ghetto, I feel safer leaving it at the airport.

Old 07-25-2003, 12:59 PM
wagsFTB
4th Gear
i left mine in the parking lot at an airport for 10 mins to drop my mom off and some bloody ****** knocked off some paint on the passenger side just under the mirror. don't know if it was a door though, because there is no dent, just black scuffs above and below the nickle-sized paint chip we were late, and didn't have time to find an end spot to hug the curb, so i guess it's sorta my fault.

- wags

Old 07-25-2003, 12:59 PM
scobib
5th Gear
I like the covered parking options available here at the Dallas airports... that being said, I always have someone drive me out there (co-worker, friend, family), as I refuse to park my MINI out there. I mean, they are safe and all, but I just don't like the thought of leaving her out there... in the open... even if it is covered... Heh...

Old 07-25-2003, 01:00 PM
capsaicinmini
2nd Gear
Did once.....now I drive my wifes Rodeo which is best of both worlds. MINI is ding free and she gets some seat time in the MCS which she does not drive normally.

Old 07-25-2003, 01:08 PM
mikehome1
3rd Gear
It's a car,and a very affordable car at that.

Old 07-25-2003, 01:13 PM
scobib
5th Gear
>>It's a $20,000 hatch, not a 360 Modena. I have parked my MINI at the airport for extended periods. No problems.

Does that mean we shouldn't baby them any less? I drove a '67 Bug that I wouldn't park at the airport either. Since when has cost been the sole determining factor as to how we should care for our vehicles?

Old 07-25-2003, 01:17 PM
Darksky
4th Gear
I don't mean to hijack the thread, But- What does long term airport parking cost?

Old 07-25-2003, 01:18 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
DIA
Regular Garage $15 a day
Long Term $7 a day

Old 07-25-2003, 01:28 PM
ronvan
3rd Gear
>>>>It's a $20,000 hatch, not a 360 Modena. I have parked my MINI at the airport for extended periods. No problems.
>>
>>Does that mean we shouldn't baby them any less? I drove a '67 Bug that I wouldn't park at the airport either. Since when has cost been the sole determining factor as to how we should care for our vehicles?
>>

Good point! If my car can be at home in a garage, available to my spouse should the need arise, why should my employer force me to leave it at a public garage. Of course if my car was normally parked on the street under a pine tree, that long term parking looks pretty good! :smile:

Old 07-25-2003, 02:01 PM
brgfan
4th Gear
It wouldn't be my first choice, but I'd park the MINI at the airport if I *had to.* But I'm surprised to hear that its less expensive for your employer to pay mileage and parking for your own car, than for you to take a shuttle?!?

I don't know what long term parking costs are at Logan, but at SFO and Oakland, unless I'm only going for a day or two, the shuttle is less expensive.

In fact, when I'm going to be gone a couple of weeks, I could justify a towncar/limo against the parking expense (in more prosperous times), and the shuttle is *much* less expensive.

Old 07-25-2003, 02:08 PM
hafid
6th Gear
So what if I have the car cover? If I park it at the airport with the cover am I just asking for trouble? I always park in garaged parking.

Old 07-25-2003, 02:16 PM
EBMCS03
4th Gear
Ya its usually safe... cuz its long term people park there and dont realy move it so u have a very low chance of getting a door ding and theres always buses and its in a locked place so no one can really go in and steal it, but i still wouldnt do it with the car i love... i'll use a crappy beater car. i mean... its outside... its all alone... the dust... the rain the sun... oh the poor baby...

Old 07-25-2003, 02:53 PM
jerrygee
4th Gear
I don’t get it but I am sure that some of you will set me straight. The last time I looked, a MINI was just a car. Paint, plastic, rubber, glass, metal and a few more manufactured materials not previously mentioned. Nothing more. This thread is about long term airport parking like there is some kind of diabolical scheme to damage your beloved car. Then there is the thread about valet parking and the fears that the valet may damage the car or drive it in a manner that you find objectionable. And make sure you don’t downshift and use the engine for braking when coming to a stop for you may cause undue wear and tear on the clutch and gearbox. The MINI is a fun car and I enjoy mine a lot, but it is just a car, a tool to get you from point A to point B and have a lot of fun in the middle. If you are going to worry about any subsequent damage you may sustain by using your MINI as a means of transportation then I suggest you park the car in your garage and put a cover over it. It should be O.K. there for years to come!

Quick Reply: R50/53 Would you leave your MINI at the Airport??