R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Anyone order the rain sensing wipers/auto dimming rear view

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2002, 01:14 PM
DaveFrehley
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just out of curiosity..... those of you who ordered for late 2002/early2003 production....... how many of you decided to go for those infra red rain sensing winshield wipers and the dimming rear view mirror that comes with it??

I ask because i'm considering placing an order for them with my mini...... i think they'd be conveinient..... and i wanted to know how many other people shared my interest in them!

Old 08-25-2002, 02:20 PM
davequick
2nd Gear
I've waited too darn long for my MCS - they said that the auto-dimming mirror/rain-sensing wipers/HK audio system would be available 9/2002 and I decided to wait until mid-july to order in order to get them and ensure I would have a post 9/1/2002 car to have the 2003 upgrades (stereo different, additional minor changes throughout car learned from 2002 problems)...

when they changed the date to 12/2002 for availability on the HK/auto-dim/rain-sensing wipers I decided enough is enough - from what I understand they delayed due to supplier problems and I wouldn't bet money on the 12/2002 availability date... so, I decided explicitly NOT to get any of these options to ensure my '03 MCS is not delayed for any reason.

-Dave :smile:

Old 08-25-2002, 02:35 PM
DaveFrehley
4th Gear
Yeah i noticed that as well! I believe in a certain area of the miniusa.com web site it still says 9/02 as the availability for the wipers/dimmers(it may be updated by now?!)...... but in the "build your own" area they show it as being 12/02..... I'll check the status and put my order through for it with the wipers, but if the wipers are delayed again, i'll just drop them from the specifications before they build it! No big deal!

Old 08-25-2002, 06:09 PM
DavidG
3rd Gear
Just my $.02:
I have the auto-dimming mirror on my Golf GTI VR6. I didn't ASK for it (and probably wouldn't have paid for it), but it came as part of the GLX option. HOWEVER: after living with the car for 3 years, the mirror is one of the most USEFUL features I've come across recently (on new cars). The mirror has an uncanny ability to kill off glare from headlights behind you; and as soon as they turn (or disappear), the mirror restores full brightness to the rear vision. VERY, very slick system. The mirror is one of the reasons I decided to wait for a later delivery of my MCS.
(the additional $3K-6K being the other).

Anyway, I can't vouch (yet) for how this feature works on the MCS, but on the Golf it works superbly!

Old 08-25-2002, 08:01 PM
Rokk1
3rd Gear
Dave,

My Jetta VR6 has the atuo wipers and mirrors. The auto wipers are OK, but I wouldn't go out of my way to have them. On the other hand, the auto mirrors are fantastic! After having this feature I will always want a car with auto dimming mirrors. The mirrors just slowly fade darker whenever a car is behind you. It is a really great feature. Of course, these features will not be available until early December. I'm waiting because I also want the HK stereo, also available in December. You could always have your car ordered in early December. My dealer says that my car's order should go in the first week of December and my MINI should be at my dealer by the end of January or beginning of February.

Old 08-25-2002, 08:21 PM
DaveFrehley
4th Gear
>>Dave,
>>
>>My Jetta VR6 has the atuo wipers and mirrors. The auto wipers are OK, but I wouldn't go out of my way to have them. On the other hand, the auto mirrors are fantastic! After having this feature I will always want a car with auto dimming mirrors. The mirrors just slowly fade darker whenever a car is behind you. It is a really great feature. Of course, these features will not be available until early December. I'm waiting because I also want the HK stereo, also available in December. You could always have your car ordered in early December. My dealer says that my car's order should go in the first week of December and my MINI should be at my dealer by the end of January or beginning of February.

The dimming mirrors...... are they like those prescription glasses that some people wear that when they go outside the lenses actually darken to sunglasses?? That sounds like it could come in handy!! The thing about the wipers that i like is that it's a gadget! LOL I want to fill my car with neat gadgets! But i'll probably have a build date in december so i don't have to worry about the mirrors/wipers being available (unless they push the availability date back again) so i'll definately be going for them!! The mirrors sound like they're worth the upgrade alone!

Old 08-25-2002, 08:24 PM
minimaxdo
1st Gear
hey i ordered the rain sensing wiper/auto dimming mirrors. call me a glutton but, my experience is that these items are like dishwashers were in the 60's. when dishwashers came out they were considered a luxury item but, now they're a necessity. when i ordered my bmw 323ci i got the auto-dimming mirrors as part of a package. at the time i thought "well that's kinda cool, but a little over the top, isn't it. i mean how hard is it to flip that little lever thingy when you need it." well now i've gotten so used to the auto-dim i don't think i could live without it. imagine you are driving along on a dark, rainy night and you are trying to find a road, or exit or something and there are cars all around and bright lights zipping by in the other lane. just paying attention to the speed up slow down speed up slow down traffic is taking all of your concentration. then you see a sign that could be the turn you seek, you squint thru the dark to read it. just then a big, nasty SUV attaches itself to your rear bumper and his headlights are on "blaze." you bob your head around trying to dodge the light beam. now, which would you rather have? the auto-dimming mirrors or the little lever thingy you have to find in two nano-seconds while you're blinded. i vote for the auto-dimmers. the auto-dimmers aren't perfect though. some lights they don't dim as much as others. but most of the time they are sweet. the same goes for the rain sensing wipers. i thought, "those are definately overkill, i mean the switch for the wipers is right there at my finger tips." but, i drove a friends bmw with them and changed my mind. it was raining one of those kinds where it goes from just spitting to full-on deluge then back, etc., etc. i flipped the switch to auto and the wipers did there thing. i was in an area new to me trying to follow the navigation system, i needed gas. i just concentrated on driving, found the gas station. the wipers were so seamless that i didn't realize until i had stopped and was filling the tank that they had been wiping away without input from me and had done a fine job. very cool. i highly recommend them both, unless of course you can't wait that long.

Old 08-26-2002, 08:00 AM
Rokk1
3rd Gear
The dimming mirrors...... are they like those prescription glasses that some people wear that when they go outside the lenses actually darken to sunglasses?? That sounds like it could come in handy!! The thing about the wipers that i like is that it's a gadget! LOL I want to fill my car with neat gadgets! But i'll probably have a build date in december so i don't have to worry about the mirrors/wipers being available (unless they push the availability date back again) so i'll definately be going for them!! The mirrors sound like they're worth the upgrade alone!

Yes, they are similiar to prescription sunglasses that actually darken. My Jetta's rear view and side mirrors all dim so that the lights behind you become a soft dark green. It is a very cool feature. I love it. The mirrors are worth the upgrade regardless if you want the auto-wipers or not. When I first got my Jetta I got the auto dimming mirrors and the auto-wipers because I am gonzo over gadgets. Plain and simple! I love to have tons of gadgets in my car.

Old 08-26-2002, 08:02 AM
Rokk1
3rd Gear
minimaxdo, great stories!! You paint a very vivid picture. You also sum up several similiar experiences to mine where the auto-wipers and auto-mirrors were very handy.

Old 08-26-2002, 11:49 AM
DavisGentry
Neutral
I ordered my mcs with auto mirror and wipers - very disappointed that the delivery date has been pushed back, but going to stick it out. Have the auto mirror on my truck and love it.

Davis

mcs all the options