PittStop MINI Club The PittStop MINI Club Forum. Visit our club site at www.pittstopmini.org

Spring Driving School at Beaverun

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 03:53 PM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, as usual, that was a well spent $35! What a bargain! I have yet to have a bad time at BeaveRun. I only wish that we could have gotten a few more timed autoX runs in... but I guess it was a decent trade-off for a few fun laps on the North Track. ...and who among us doesn't wish for more track time, regardless of how much we get?

The morning portion - maybe better referred to as the pre-lunch session - was a slalom exercise through cones and then an avoidance/control maneuver through more cones. These were interesting "warm-up" excercises to prepare you for the autoX in the post-lunch session. Overall, the event was geared at the beginner level driver but was flexible enough to accomodate the more advanced driver. Technique is obviously something to be improved with practice, and even though you should progress to ever more challenging levels, it never hurts to review and practice the basics. Considering it was the first track session of the year, I think it was an appropriate way to ease out of the winter months.

I can't help myself but point out that it was the 3 Coopers (read: not S's ) in attendance - out of 22 MINIs - with some of the fastest times on the autocross - especially since my bone-stock CVT was one of them! Admittedly, it was my 3rd autocross but was the first for many others. I think it would be fair to say that fun was had by all. I also think it would be fair to say that everyone learned at least a little something - or at very least felt good laying a little tire on the tarmac.

There may have been one MINI injury today - at the time I left it was still unclear whether a run-flat had gone flat due to injury or something else (can the bead unseat and cause pressure loss during a hard turn/slide???? ). The attempt to re-inflate began as I had to leave. As far as I was aware, this was the only mishap.

...looking forward to a few more track events this year. Obviously the Club has to cater to all motoring tastes and needs to host a variety of events, thereby leaving the track-hungry somewhat unfulfilled. Hopefully this year we finally have enough interest on the performance-driving side of the Club to support at least a few months of doubled-up events without diluting attendance of either type. Those of us interested may have to take the bull(dog) by the horns and put together some things in addition to the pre-arranged schedule of Club events.

Old 03-19-2005, 06:05 PM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mini2Go
(can the bead unseat and cause pressure loss during a hard turn/slide???? ).
Absolutely, especially if inflation levels were low to begin with.

Steve

Old 03-19-2005, 07:26 PM
MINIcentric
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Dj_Konky
Goodtimes!

I think we all had a great time! Nice pic of me with the MINI of Pittsburgh #7 car and all the other cars that came. It was wonderful to see such enthusiasm and spirited driving by all. Thanks to the track team for a fantastic and safe day of performance driving.

Graham
MINI of Pittsburgh

Old 03-20-2005, 06:03 AM
MiniC
2nd Gear
Slight correction. It was 2 Coopers, the one had 2 drivers. But I might be biased. It was my nephew and I.

Old 03-20-2005, 06:33 AM
ebock
2nd Gear
I can't help myself but point out that it was the 3 Coopers (read: not S's ) in attendance - out of 22 MINIs - with some of the fastest times on the autocross - especially since my bone-stock CVT was one of them!
Well it didn't help that my JCW lost traction everytime I got into the gas--- (it couldn't be that it was a driver problem)

Great Time!

Old 03-20-2005, 02:14 PM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
I believe Paul will be sharing all of the recorded times soon as he is working to match car numbers to names.

Originally Posted by MiniC
Slight correction. It was 2 Coopers, the one had 2 drivers. But I might be biased. It was my nephew and I.
Good show MiniC! I think the Azenis make a difference - I hadn't swapped my snows out for my BF Goodriches yet this year, so I just used the 'ol run-flats.

Ok then, it was 4 drivers in 3 Coopers all with comparatively good times on the day: The orange convertible, the red hardtop with 2 drivers (and the Falken Azenis) and my silver hardtop. Details aside, the Coopers certainly made a good showing! [note: as you read this, Mini2Go mentally prepares for a good, solid a$$-whooping by an S next time out. ]

Having, at different points in the past, driven all of the other models in track situations, including 5-speed, CVT, S, and JCW, I was really hoping to be able to try a run in the Cooper S automatic, but missed the chance.

ebock - yes, it is absolutely true that a JCW could benefit from the aid of a LSD - especially under acceleration in the curves. However, I also believe that it is somewhat a matter of getting used to the particular limits and characteristics of the car. This isn't something that one generally achieves during the daily commute! (read: I hope we can expect to see you at the track for more events. ) Furthermore, different suspension modifications can also tweak out some of the stock understeer. ...JCW suspension kit?...

Old 03-20-2005, 02:43 PM
MiniC
2nd Gear
Sorry, that will teach me to check the numbers first. By the way, my nephew (25A) has only driven the MINI at the 2 BeaveRun events. We both had a ball!

Had the course not been partially covered with sand, the outcome certainly would have been different.

Old 03-20-2005, 04:25 PM
Storm180
3rd Gear
There may have been one MINI injury today - at the time I left it was still unclear whether a run-flat had gone flat due to injury or something else (can the bead unseat and cause pressure loss during a hard turn/slide???? ). The attempt to re-inflate began as I had to leave. As far as I was aware, this was the only mishap.
The day deffinitely was a blast, even though it was my MINI that had the mishap. It looks like I just lost pressure, though. After re-inflating the tire and a day in observation, I can safely say that the tire is fine. I guess I just hit a corner a bit too hard.

Thanks to all that came out and helped make it a very fun day. It'll be nice to see the times, but ebock is right: a better driver in a base Cooper will beat us amateurs in MCS' anyday.

That's the most fun I've had getting beaten, though.

-Tim

Old 03-21-2005, 04:57 AM
alpinamike
5th Gear
Good RUN

Well made the top three on the time, and I was not even pushing that hard, had My Girlfriend in the car also(non-driver). And also trunk was full of stuff, about 20 lbs in the back. I have a cooper convertible with 15" rims and tires all season/ 5 speed. It seems to be better in the sand.
Great turn-out and love to see that my MINIs at once. The most i have ever seen.
My pics are great but too big to post here.
Have pics on what it looks like "MINIS ON TOP" of the hills in PA.
This was worth the $35.
Can't wait for more events, going to help put more things together.
thanks alpinamike

HO MCC
White wheels blue top!

Old 03-21-2005, 07:51 AM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Originally Posted by alpinamike
My pics are great but too big to post here.
Link to your pics?

Steve

Old 03-21-2005, 08:27 AM
Konky
4th Gear
How often does pittstop MINI go to beaverun?

Old 03-21-2005, 09:45 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My team and Redline track events have scheduled a large track day open for all mini owners. Beaverun for us easterners( ) and buttonwillow for all the west coasters. It should be a lot of fun and a great oppurtunity to try out your car with a time trial format

see sig below

Old 03-21-2005, 09:58 AM
bmovierat
4th Gear
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
My team and Redline track events have scheduled a large track day open for all mini owners. Beaverun for us easterners( ) and buttonwillow for all the west coasters. It should be a lot of fun and a great oppurtunity to try out your car with a time trial format

see sig below
That sounds like a lot of fun. How much? Is there a web site with more info?

Saturday was great fun even for a crappy driver like me. Technically, I think I got the fastest time though. Of course, I went off course and took a shortcut, but since that wasn't specifically forbidden, it's all good right?

Old 03-21-2005, 10:51 AM
alpinamike
5th Gear
Check out my gallery for PICS!!!

I have some great pics in my gallery of the trip,
MINIS ON TOP at Beaverun.
-alpinamike

Old 03-21-2005, 11:14 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool pics mike....looks like a great turnout. I'm sorry i couldnt make it

For more info on the East Vs West challenge check out this webpage HERE

Old 03-21-2005, 04:22 PM
greven
2nd Gear
As the silver Cooper with the black stripes, I can say I was definitely not doing anyone near as good as S's. For the Box thing, I didn't get up to speed for the 55 mph part the first time. Oh well.

I liked the North track the best. I wish we could have done that more.

It was a fun event.

As a student, I was expecting a little more lecture, haha. I thought we wuold be in that classroom getting at least an hour of lecture. Oh well.

The drive there was fun. The Red S with black stripes came up behind me and then passed me. At one point we were going over 100 on 76. Then we got off the highway and he made a wrong turn. I followed, then he turned around and I went by, realized the problem, turned around, and then seen him and another guy go by me. Funny stuff.

Old 03-22-2005, 04:59 AM
Storm180
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by greven
The drive there was fun. The Red S with black stripes came up behind me and then passed me. At one point we were going over 100 on 76. Then we got off the highway and he made a wrong turn. I followed, then he turned around and I went by, realized the problem, turned around, and then seen him and another guy go by me. Funny stuff.
Yeah, having a GPS doesn't help terribly much if it doesn't know where you're going. At one point I was just looking for another MINI and following it, hoping we were going the same place. :smile:

Old 03-22-2005, 06:30 AM
alpinamike
5th Gear
I went south towards beaver.

Everyone else got on the turnpike .
I saw a Black Cooper S w/chrome ext. at the gas station in the town of Darlington at 11:00am but he was not going anywhere. And i did not get to talk to him. The car did not show up. Figure that one.
Racing on the turnpike, got to watch out doing 100.
Their are alot of cops out there.
Great fun!
Can't wait till next event as it is getting nice outside
-alpinamike

Old 03-22-2005, 08:09 AM
MINIcentric
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by alpinamike
Can't wait till next event as it is getting nice outside
-alpinamike
Mindy and I are going back for open lapping Sunday April 3rd. It's the 2nd day of the Cannonball One Lap America driving school. www.onelapofamerica.com. Spectators welcome! There may also be spots available for the open lapping sessions on April 2-3. Check www.beaverun.com.

Graham
MINI of Pittsburgh

Last edited by MINIcentric; 03-22-2005 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:28 AM
red rage
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIcentric
Mindy and I are going back for open lapping Sunday April 3rd. It's the 2nd day of the Cannonball One Lap America event. www.onelapofamerica.com. Spectators welcome! There may also be spots available for the open lapping sessions on April 2-3. Check www.beaverun.com.

Graham
MINI of Pittsburgh
Look for your LONG LOST BROTHERS, there are at least 2 MINI S doing the one-lap this year, I will be at BeaverRun, with my co-driver/mechanic-driver

RED FURY is on board and ON the track !!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-23-2005, 05:33 PM
Brian Spielman
3rd Gear
we've posted a few pics from the day on our website here:

http://www.eurostyleseast.com/pages/pittstop.asp

Last edited by Brian Spielman; 03-23-2005 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:58 PM
track-toy
4th Gear
Brian, nice pictures! Gotta love it when MINIs show what they can do!

Old 03-23-2005, 05:59 PM
ebock
2nd Gear
Few Pictures from BeaveRun

I will try to get other uploaded... (If you want full size versions, PM me)

Ed

Attached Thumbnails Spring Driving School at Beaverun-bluemini1.jpg   Spring Driving School at Beaverun-esemini1.jpg   Spring Driving School at Beaverun-redmini1.jpg  
Old 03-23-2005, 06:02 PM
ebock
2nd Gear
Oh Yeah, Graham looking Suave

at least the mini looks cool!

Attached Thumbnails Spring Driving School at Beaverun-gr.jpg  
Old 03-23-2005, 06:16 PM
track-toy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Dj_Konky
How often does pittstop MINI go to beaverun?
We go maybe 3 times a year. We'd go more often if we could support that. What we really need is folks here on this site clamoring for events like this instead of them being set up and hoping for attendance.

We never know if we have success at an event until folks show up. This one was good. This forum is an excellent place to get things going so let's plan the next one. Most folks seem to want track time so let's see what we can do.

The only way I know is to start a list of willing track participants. An HPDE is a high performance driving event that has people teamed with instructors that ensure safety while permitting performance driving on the track.

Who is up to experience some of this?

I'm going so who else?

Quick Reply: Spring Driving School at Beaverun