Pacific Northwest Washington, Oregon, and Alaska

Portland Mini owners?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2002, 07:47 AM
PDX_Mini
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone in the Portland area have a Mini and use this site? Haven't received my mini yet but was wondering if anyone had started a club of some kind for mini owners?

Old 09-24-2002, 08:24 AM
Goofygrape
3rd Gear
Hey PDX-Mini!
Welcome to the gorup!
I was begining to think I'd be the only one around here. Yes I'm in Portland SE off Belmont. Where abouts are you? I will be getting my baby in December, but rumor has it, I may be getting bumped up to an earlier production date, so I may see her in November! :smile: You might want to add your comments to the system, if you haven't already.
Oh to answer your question! I don't think anyone has started a club to my knowledge but I think we must! I know of two Mini's in the area, and saw a third come down my street this past weekend.Don't know if they were just driving through though.

Old 09-24-2002, 08:43 AM
PDX_Mini
4th Gear
Howdy goofy!

I actually did not order mine from Rasmussen - they said they were no longer taking orders at the time I checked. I put a deposit down at NW MINI in Tacoma - a great group of "order takers", but alas, will not have it until summer of 2003! I hope I can take it to Rasmussen for service. The car is for my fiance and I was not sold on it at first, but I read eveything there was to read and after the test drve of the S...Whoa! Now she's wondering if she'll ever get to drive it or be stuck with my SUV. I've seen a few for sale at http://www.nwicars.com for WAY over the sticker price, but only a few on the road. Someone parked a blue S across the street from my house on Woodstock last night and I just had to inspect it.

Keep this thread going with any info you have and maybe we can get a a group going. Even though I'll be without my MINI for sometime, I'd like to participate.

Let me know when your ship comes in!

Old 09-24-2002, 09:13 AM
Goofygrape
3rd Gear
Will do! (sorry for the long post)

I don't know if it is worth it now but Rasmussen is taking orders or they were a few days ago. I went to NW mini, and ahad a bad experience, that turned out good for me I guess. Long story short, went to NW mini to put down a deposit, cause Rasmussen wasn't open yet or taking orders. (BTW Rasmussen will be happy to sevice your fiance's mini) I had been in contact with both dealers to let them know what I was doing, didn't want to step on any toes here in Oregon. Took a friday off to drive to Tacoma, my brother took time off in Seattle to meet me for a test drive, then we were to spend the rest of the weekend in celebration of the futrure Mini purchase. After the test drive I asked the sales man, to be clear," Since I'm an Oregon resident will I need to pay sales tax?" The Gut looks at me and say's,(remember I'd been in contact with them for several days prior to driveing up)" You're from Oregon? We can't sell you a car, you have a dealer in your state." I showed them my blank check!, never heard of a car dealer declining a sale like that!
Well not to keep on with the story(long an complicated) but, several days later after a letter written by me to NW, Rasmussen and Mini USA, NW told me it was a mis communication btwn sales manager and general manager, and they could order me one for April delivery. That very next day Rasmussen called and hooked me up with a mini for december delivery. Mikkel from Rasmussen was great to deal with as was Amy, and Gennie both of whom made me feel better after my ordeal.

Old 09-24-2002, 09:34 AM
Kimini1
2nd Gear
Hi PDX_MINI and GoofyGrape!
I'm in Portland too..well Beaverton area actually. I think a PDX MINI club is definitely in order! I couldn't handle the wait after test driving the S. So I picked up my MCS through an Auto Broker 7 wks ago. I've been smiling ever since! I admire both of your guys' patience, something obviously I don't have!

Old 09-24-2002, 09:50 AM
Goofygrape
3rd Gear
Welcome Kimini1!
Coolness!
I work out near Tualatin, right off I-5.

Congratulations on your MINI CS! Sweet. I think I might go test drive one, but I'll be quite happy with my MC for sure, after 9 years of a suzuki swift! ( Although I must say she's been very good to me and never given me any big troubles) I dare say I'll notice a big difference in the drive.
Well I think we should all get together soon for a Mini breakfast or lunch or brunch kinda thing, like the WA. group did. Lets see if we can't get a few more Portlanders out of the wood work!

Goofygrape

Old 09-24-2002, 12:44 PM
Davbret
6th Gear
Howdy everyone!

I'm in Beaverton and YES we need a club!!! As an ex-Miata owner and regular club attendee (Mt. Hood Miata Club) I can definitely tout the need for a club. We MINI folk aren't like the others on the road. We've got some quirkyness to us, just like the Miata folk. Would be great to go on club runs, have socials and just BS around some dinner once a month.

I've got a Dark Silver/Black MCS with premium and cold packages....and one hell of a stereo for those who saw my recent thread in the audio section (fiberglass sub topic).

R

Old 09-24-2002, 01:17 PM
Goofygrape
3rd Gear
Hey Dave I thought I remembered your name!
You have the awesome sub!!! Sweet That means I can see and hear it in person! Cool, yes It looks like we are well on our way to a club here. Looks like my "sound" advice problems are solved.
Look forward to meeting you all.

If you know of any other Mini owners in the area get em to join!
I'm workin on one guy right now.

Old 09-24-2002, 06:05 PM
PDX_Mini
4th Gear
Goofy,

Sorry to hear about your experience at NW Mini - as soon as they said they would take my deposit I had to jump at it - but glad to hear Rasmussen is taking care of you. The fact that they will service my Mini is very nice news to hear.

For everyone else that wants to start a club - I'll be happy to do whatever leg work it takes, even though I'll be dreamin' about and not drivin' my Mini for several months now.

Enjoy, and hope to see you out on the road someday!

Old 09-26-2002, 06:26 AM
Davbret
6th Gear
Do we need approval from MINI to start a club or do we just band together and setup meetings and dues? Is there a MINI Owners Club of America that provides local sanctioning of clubs (as was the case for my Miata club)? Do we just file an unincorporated/not for profit business entity with the state and use that as the official name for bank accounts (for dues and fees)? What are we gonna call ourselves? As you can see, I've got alot of questions that need answers...but hopefully they will help guide us toward our goal of a regional club startup!!!

We are in a very fun period of time here. We have the opportunity to be the original members of a budding new club. How cool is that?!?

Oh, and since we're all going to get to know one another, my name's Ryan, not Dave. My grandfather's name was Dave Brethauer (Dav + Bret), and for one reason or another my online moniker for forums has become a homage to him.

R

Old 09-26-2002, 08:58 AM
PDX_Mini
4th Gear
Ryan,

All good questions and I know the answer to none of them. It looks like a couple of other regions have their clubs up and going so why don't we post some questions in their forum and see what they did? I assume we would need to "register" with MINI in some shape or form in order to be recognized by them and included in any events they might have on an "official" level.

PDX_Mini aka 'Nate'

Old 09-26-2002, 09:20 AM
Goofygrape
3rd Gear
Sounds exciting! All good questions Ryan.

I wonder if the Seattle group did anything official or just got together? Seems they had a good turn out.
Saw your post about this Nate in the Join SCMM! topic, Looking forward to hearing what they have to say.

Later guys!
Ya know I was going to say we need some women folk in our group but then I remembered The Mini Nate is getting is really for his fiance

Goofygrape
aka Sirgrapefellow
aka. Tom

Old 09-26-2002, 12:14 PM
PDX_Mini
4th Gear
You mean it WAS for my fiance. I wanted to go with a BMW or AUDI but after all the research and the test drive...you know the rest. She's worried that she'll never get to drive it and be stuck with the 4Runner...and she has good reason to worry.

BTW: I called Rasmussen about placing an order (just to see if I could get one faster through them) and they said they were not taking any orders -again! Apparently they took orders for a few weeks a while ago but had to stop because they could not fulfill them all. I asked about an S and the woman on the other line just laughed - she said my delievery date of July 2003 was very good - then I laughed. How can a year of looking at the Member MINI pages be good for anyone who is waiting on their very own?!

Old 09-27-2002, 08:23 AM
Goofygrape
3rd Gear
Dude!
I am soooo sorry!

Well at least you have a order in at NW!
I guess i was lucky they called me when they did...and i was ready!

Hope they laughed...in a pleasant sorta way?

Tom

PS maybe you should find out how Ryan did it hes fast!

Old 09-30-2002, 07:43 PM
Racegun
1st Gear
Hey everyone........I just got my Dark Silver MCS about a week ago. I had to go up to Tacoma to get it but it was well worth the trip.

I live in Beaverton and would enjoy a MINI get together from time to time.

Ciao and Cheers.............

Old 10-01-2002, 08:30 AM
PDX_Mini
4th Gear
Racegun,

I am also buying my MINI from NW MINI. Do you know if you have to go to Tacoma each time for service or will they let you get service from Rasmussen here in Portland? Did they stick you with any surprise charges or was it just the $595 they were tacking on to all MCS's?

Apologize for all the questions but you're the first person I know who's purchased from them.

Thanks

Old 10-01-2002, 08:48 AM
Kimini1
2nd Gear
Hi PdxMINI,
I purchased my MINI thru an autobroker and Rasmussen was happy to service my car even though I didn't buy it from them. Very helpful and friendly. No problems here.

>>Racegun,
>>
>>I am also buying my MINI from NW MINI. Do you know if you have to go to Tacoma each time for service or will they let you get service from Rasmussen here in Portland? Did they stick you with any surprise charges or was it just the $595 they were tacking on to all MCS's?
>>
>>Apologize for all the questions but you're the first person I know who's purchased from them.
>>
>>Thanks

Old 10-01-2002, 11:00 AM
Davbret
6th Gear
Hi Racegun!

Fellow Beaverton MCS in Darksivler here. I'm jonesing to meet the MINI community.

R

Old 10-01-2002, 11:13 AM
Kimini1
2nd Gear
So Ryan and Racegun..from what I can tell we all have the DkSilver MCS's. Very popular I see, strange we haven't passed each other at least once! Lets see if we can get a few more together for a MINI run. Anyone else out there? I'm itchin to take mine out to PIR to open him up. WEEEEEE!!!
Motor on!

Old 10-01-2002, 11:36 AM
PDX_Mini
4th Gear
You're all making me very jealous. I keep calling other dealerships to see if I can get one faster than my date of July 2003 but they all so no on an S model. I'm going back and forth between CR/W and DS/W - seen great pics of them both. Now I have the ability to pick all the 2003 options as well which I didn't have when I ordered it - so many choices!

If you're going for a drive I suggest heading out I-84 to the Columbia Gorge and hitting up the Scenic Highway (lots of curves) and maybe take a stop at Crown Point or one of the many waterfalls along the way. (Make sure and get some pics!)Thanks for all the input and keep the posts coming - I'll keep tabs on the group along the way.

Motor on!

Nate

Old 10-02-2002, 11:29 AM
Davbret
6th Gear
Yes yes!! A darksilver drive...that'd be soooo cool!!! When are we going?

R

Old 10-03-2002, 09:48 AM
Kimini1
2nd Gear
How about the 19th or 26th of October? A gorge drive sounds good...any other suggestions?
Let's Motor!

Old 10-04-2002, 10:30 AM
Davbret
6th Gear
Either date works for me. I used to love going on cruises with my Miata club. Can't wait til we can get a group of MINIs together for a fun run. Gorge sounds like fun. Another fun one, is a bridge run. Granted it's not fun twisties, but it does give an excuse to show off the car to alot of people.

Might be able to track down a friend of a friend with a EB/B MCS in town as well. Well technically Vancouver, but he's SO is in Tigard.

R

Old 10-04-2002, 10:53 AM
Goofygrape
3rd Gear
Dang! Get laid up for a couple days and everyone posts!
My congratulations goes out to Racegun! And welcome to Racegun too!

Sheesh looks like I'm the only Cooper (non S) in the Group so far! Don't ditch me too often guys!

It will be so awesome to see you all in your darksilvers!

Later
Tom

Old 10-05-2002, 09:50 AM
Racegun
1st Gear
>>Racegun,
>>
>>I am also buying my MINI from NW MINI. Do you know if you have to go to Tacoma each time for service or will they let you get service from Rasmussen here in Portland? Did they stick you with any surprise charges or was it just the $595 they were tacking on to all MCS's?
>>
>>Apologize for all the questions but you're the first person I know who's purchased from them.
>>
>>Thanks

The people at NW MINI were great very friendly and straight forward. However I would suggest staying away from the used car manager his name is Tracy he's a total ***.

The charge was $595 and no more and Rasmussen is more than happy to take your $ for service.

One other thing, get your MINI from Tim Retinski at NW MINI, he'll take good care of you.

Quick Reply: Portland Mini owners?