Pacific Northwest Washington, Oregon, and Alaska

Rasmussen

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 09:38 PM
Sendero
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rasmussen

By request of Rasmussen, I have removed the contents of this post. I would have preferred to leave it up to show the actions & lack of customer service of a specific person in their organization. But I do respect Mike and recognize the effort he has put in to make things right and make up for the mistakes. It is for that reason that I am removing the contents of this post.

Last edited by Sendero; 03-25-2009 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Rasmussen asked for it to be removed
Old 03-23-2009, 03:28 PM
Kirkland
2nd Gear
I bought my Mini at Rasmussen and other than an issue with my not understanding a charge for the steering wheel (which was resolved with a full refund later from BMW/Mini), the price of the car did not change throughout the buying process. I said "no" to all the extra packages you added after I ascertained that they could be purchased at a later time. Service has also been good at Rasmussen so I would recommend the dealership.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:03 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm sorry, but I don't understand what happened here.....

If you had a written quoted monthly payment, and then they added in the extras, the monthly payment shoud have only gone up by a fixed amount, unless they were changing the amounts you were paying for the extras, or monkeying around with the interest rate or months, it should have been cut and dried.

When I bought my car, my dealer showed me a chart with all these extras and how much it would add to the price of MY car, not some mythical car, and also how much each would add to the monthly payment, with a total on the right.

Did they do this for you too, and was the total on your contract different than what the chart showed it would be?

I also declined all the extras, and since I was just writing a check for the car, the monthly payment part didn't apply to me so I admit I didn't pay a lot of attention to it.

If you canceled the tire deal, they should simply refund the amount to you, and you apply it to your loan or whatever - they have no further involvement with your loan once the loan docs are signed - they don't apply anything or change anything - that's between you and the bank. The only other thing they could have done was have you come in and sign a new contract based on the cost without the tire deal.

So, did they refuse to let you out of the tire deal? Or are you saying they discounted the warranty if you included the tire deal, and when you took out the tire deal, they took out the discount? Or??

It sounds like you said they discounted the tire deal, if they refund you anything, it would simple be whatever they charged you for the tire deal, it would not affect the cost of the service pkg. I'm not sure from your explanation, but it sounds like you don't have all your numbers straight in your head. Maybe you didn't understand the deal clearly before you signed it?

Last edited by MINIdave; 03-23-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:00 PM
Sendero
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MINIdave
I'm sorry, but I don't understand what happened here.....

If you had a written quoted monthly payment, and then they added in the extras, the monthly payment shoud have only gone up by a fixed amount, unless they were changing the amounts you were paying for the extras, or monkeying around with the interest rate or months, it should have been cut and dried.
Yes, this would have been the case if I had not cancelled the tire plan after the fact.

When I bought my car, my dealer showed me a chart with all these extras and how much it would add to the price of MY car, not some mythical car, and also how much each would add to the monthly payment, with a total on the right.

Did they do this for you too, and was the total on your contract different than what the chart showed it would be?
Yes, Lori did this. And yes, the payment on the contract was higher than the payment shown to me on the paper.

If you canceled the tire deal, they should simply refund the amount to you, and you apply it to your loan or whatever - they have no further involvement with your loan once the loan docs are signed - they don't apply anything or change anything - that's between you and the bank. The only other thing they could have done was have you come in and sign a new contract based on the cost without the tire deal.
Apparently not the case. They said it can only be applied to the loan balance. I'm fine with that, it reduces the principal.

I agree it is a bit hard to follow it all, but you did call out the main point:
Or are you saying they discounted the warranty if you included the tire deal, and when you took out the tire deal, they took out the discount?
The did take out the discount when they took out the deal.

1 - Lori shows me a piece of paper with Payment A for Tire, Payment B for Service, and Payment C for both.
2 - I go with the package
3 - Lori runs it all through her software, it prints out with a payment > C (This is when it is realized that all the numbers quoted to me were not what would have been charged)
3 - To fix her mistake, Lori add a credit of Y. But only to the Tire plan.
4 - When the tire plan is dropped off, the purchase price of the tire plan is refunded but this also takes out the discount.
5 - The service package pmt is now back to a quote that is higher than was written and presented to me.

The correct thing to do would have been to transfer that credit from the Tire package to the service package.

And, yes, this would all have been simpler if I had refused the tire plan up front and Lori could have applies the credit at that time to make things right.

Rasmussen has now finally made things right. I still will not recommend the dealership due to the fact that all purchases go through Lori. I have lost all respect for her and have made that very clear to management at Rasmussen. So, to answer my question in the title, I think Lori is incompetent. I have respect for my MA and the sales manager. They made the effort and finally did the right thing. I was very disappointed that it played out this way but it's done and I'm done. I'm just going to forget about it and enjoy the car.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:19 PM
YakiMini
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry to hear that! I've bought used every time so I haven't dealt with sales personal, but Service and Parts have been great!
A mechanic parked my MCS under a lift and chipped some paint off the Boot and they fully paid to have it fixed!
Again, sorry for the problem but the rest should be smooth sailing for you!

Old 03-24-2009, 07:34 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm just going to forget about it and enjoy the car.

Absolutely the best idea!

Old 03-25-2009, 06:02 PM
Sendero
1st Gear
Anyone know how I can contact an Admin to change the thread title?

Old 03-25-2009, 06:16 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Use the red triangle with the exclamation point at the top-right corner of any of the posts to report the thread to the admins and ask them to change the title.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:10 PM
R55lover
Neutral
Originally Posted by Sendero
Yes, this would have been the case if I had not cancelled the tire plan after the fact.

Yes, Lori did this. And yes, the payment on the contract was higher than the payment shown to me on the paper.

Apparently not the case. They said it can only be applied to the loan balance. I'm fine with that, it reduces the principal.

I agree it is a bit hard to follow it all, but you did call out the main point:

The did take out the discount when they took out the deal.

1 - Lori shows me a piece of paper with Payment A for Tire, Payment B for Service, and Payment C for both.
2 - I go with the package
3 - Lori runs it all through her software, it prints out with a payment > C (This is when it is realized that all the numbers quoted to me were not what would have been charged)
3 - To fix her mistake, Lori add a credit of Y. But only to the Tire plan.
4 - When the tire plan is dropped off, the purchase price of the tire plan is refunded but this also takes out the discount.
5 - The service package pmt is now back to a quote that is higher than was written and presented to me.

The correct thing to do would have been to transfer that credit from the Tire package to the service package.

And, yes, this would all have been simpler if I had refused the tire plan up front and Lori could have applies the credit at that time to make things right.

Rasmussen has now finally made things right. I still will not recommend the dealership due to the fact that all purchases go through Lori. I have lost all respect for her and have made that very clear to management at Rasmussen. So, to answer my question in the title, I think Lori is incompetent. I have respect for my MA and the sales manager. They made the effort and finally did the right thing. I was very disappointed that it played out this way but it's done and I'm done. I'm just going to forget about it and enjoy the car.
Sounds like they gave you a discounted package price and then you no longer wanted everything in the package...I wouldnt call Lori Imcompetent at all. I purchased two MINIs from the Dealership and found her to be a very nice person! If you buy something on sale at a store and then take it back they dont give you the non sale price back...you get the sale price refunded to you.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:19 PM
Sendero
1st Gear
Originally Posted by R55lover
Sounds like they gave you a discounted package price and then you no longer wanted everything in the package...I wouldnt call Lori Imcompetent at all. I purchased two MINIs from the Dealership and found her to be a very nice person! If you buy something on sale at a store and then take it back they dont give you the non sale price back...you get the sale price refunded to you.
No, thats not the case. The long description can make it hard understand. I'll try a short one.

Lori provided 3 written quotes:
Item A - $X
Item B - $Y
Both A + B - $Z

Payment intially shown in paperwork :
Item A - $X + some amount
Item B - $Y + some amount
Both A+B - $Z + some amount

Due to Lori's incompetence, each of the quoted amounts was 'surpringly' lower than what she was trying to charge me. This applied to every one of the above 3 quotes. Each one would have needed the discount applied to bring the payment back down to what was quoted to me.

The discount given was not due to a package deal by any means. It was a screwup (hopefully not something intentional) on Lori's part that required a discount in order to be at her quoted amount. That is Lori's screw-up. Calling her incompetent is better than other possibly applicable terms such as 'bait & switch'. You should not be allowed to quote one number and then charge another one. In this case I was able to catch it. Who knows if it'll slide by someone else due to her mistakes.

This was not a 'package discount' or a 'sale price'. It was Lori giving me a written quote for one amount and then trying to charge me a higher amount. That is why they owed me the credit no matter which of the three options I went with. To reiterate - Any of those three purchases would have required the credit. If I had been able to cancel both then I fully agree with you that I should only have received what I had paid. But, since I was changing to another option, one which did require a credit to meet the quoted amount, I was still due that credit. Based on your repsonse, I realize you did not understand the situation and what occurred. Hopefully you understand it now.

Last edited by Sendero; 03-29-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:36 PM
R55lover
Neutral
Gotcha...sounds like she made a mistake.