Pacific Northwest Washington, Oregon, and Alaska

Whats' the deal with MINI Northwest?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 09:57 PM
jaridp
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OldDrummer55
I live in Eastern WA and the nearest MINI dealers are NW in Tacoma and Rasmuson in Portland, OR. I did some forum research in 06 and found some negatives on NW but none on Rasmussen. I ordered my car through Rasmussen and have had nothing but positive experience with the dealership. A very professional and class act.
Nice to see you today Mark!!!

Old 12-08-2008, 01:18 AM
dinogts
Neutral
Not everything perfect at Rasmussen

I think that this thread has been a little unfair to NW MINI, and according to a couple of the Rasmussen MINI threads elsewhere on this forum, not everyone has had a blissful experience at RM.

To the contrary, I've had a very good experience with NW MINI.

I also have a hard time imagining driving from Seattle to Portland just to get my wiper blades replaced for free, or to ask if someone could give my 2003 MCS a quick wash while I checked out new and used MINIs sitting on the lot - NW MINI has done both of those things for me several times. And, I also can't imagine RM giving me a car to drive back to Seattle to keep it overnight to see if I liked it. Why, just this past weekend, when I stopped by NW MINI to look at a factory JCW MCS, they asked if I wanted to leave my MCS and take the JCW home for the night. I gladly accepted the offer, and both my wife and I enjoyed driving the JCW immensely - new car purchase coming soon! I would guess that RM's local customers would have the same thing done for them by RM, but my point here is that it sure wouldn't be worth my time and expense to drive to Portland from Seattle just for those types of matters.

I am also more than a little amused at locals who buy a car 180 miles away to save a few hundred dollars (yes, I know you might be able to save more at times) and then baitch (sic) and moan that the local dealer doesn't go out of their way to offer them a loaner car when they bring their out-of-area purchase into their local dealer for service or repair, or they complain when someone who bought their car (and presumably paid more) at the local dealer appears to get a little more attention than they do. (Actually, now that I think about it, I'd be a little ticked off if you in fact did get the same attention and treatment that I did at "MY" dealer). Absent very unusual circumstances, I vote for supporting your local dealer!

Last edited by dinogts; 12-08-2008 at 01:26 AM.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:21 PM
Sendero
1st Gear
The reason I went to Rasmussen was due to them being more upfront and interested in a sale. At Mini NW it took a while to get a salesman to really tell me anything around order times. When we finally got past that I asked about the car options. So he took me to the web site and used their configuration tool to help me build the car. He basically just read from the site and a couple times seemed stumped by the options. Once we did complete that step he printed it out and showed me the pricing. It was only then that he finally mentioned they had a $700 add a tag on the car. It ticked me off that they were not up front with their extra charges.

Compare that to Rasmussen. I e-mailed them to ask about ordering a car. The response came back telling me the timeframe for delivery, the $500 refundable deposit required, and that they add a $295 charge on that includes front/rear/boot mats but is partially their market adjustment. Sure, they have the same idea of add a tag, but at least they were completely up front about it.

Basically, the sales person I dealt with at Mini NW was the reason I went to Rasmussen. Nothing to do with price, just felt like a better experience with the sales staff at Rasmussen.

Now, for service. You bet I expect all the conveniences from Mini NW. Dealers make more on the service than on new sales. So it makes sense for them to make all customers happy. If they don't then I'm sure others would head to another dealership. Luckily for them they have a bit of a monopoly here. Personally, I think that is BS but thats the way it it.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:05 AM
Coopdy
4th Gear
So far I have had a wonderful experience at NW MINI and would recommend them based on my experience. My MA Tomio has always been very responsive to my emails along the way and having brought my MINI in for her replacement headliner gave me a chance to work with the service department. They did an incredible job on the headliner, were prompt, initiated calls to me and gave me a great loaner as well.

Kudos NW MINI. Keep up the great work and I look forward to your being just down the street from me soon!

Old 04-05-2009, 11:35 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
so... im a finalist for a gov job out there (I currently live in Denver). I get nothing but VIP service from my dealer here (Schomp), so Im a bit spoiled. Service-wise, not even looking at the distance, if y'll had a gun to yr head to pick, would it be Rass or NW, and why/why not?

Also, I'd heard before this economic meltdown that Seattle metro area was in the run for a 2nd dealership (as was the Denver area.) any updates on that?

hey if get this peach job I will know NO ONE there in Seattle so I may have to pick yr. brains for important info like housing, and maybe come to a meet-up after Im halfway settled! Cheers!!

Old 04-06-2009, 02:42 PM
Coopdy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by sequence
so... im a finalist for a gov job out there (I currently live in Denver). I get nothing but VIP service from my dealer here (Schomp), so Im a bit spoiled. Service-wise, not even looking at the distance, if y'll had a gun to yr head to pick, would it be Rass or NW, and why/why not?

Also, I'd heard before this economic meltdown that Seattle metro area was in the run for a 2nd dealership (as was the Denver area.) any updates on that?

hey if get this peach job I will know NO ONE there in Seattle so I may have to pick yr. brains for important info like housing, and maybe come to a meet-up after Im halfway settled! Cheers!!
Hi Sequence and welcome to the PNW forum. On a day like today you'd be a very lucky person to live here, as it is simply gorgeous out there and the snow capped mtns are glistening.

I cannot compare the two different dealers as I only have experience with one. I'm sure that you will hear good and bad for both. The only direct knowledge that I have is with NW MINI and I have been very pleased both before and after the sale.

Good luck on the job pursuit and let me know if you have any questions about the area. I think it helps to be into seasonal sports when you live here: rain in the winter means snow in the mountains and there are some incredible mtn bike trails if you're interested in the summer. Oh, and also there are some nice winding roads for our MINIs too.

Edit: The MINI dealership on Lake City Way in Seattle seems to be progressing as I drive by it frequently (I'm less than a mile from there, yahoooo) and I'm seeing changes.

Last edited by Coopdy; 04-06-2009 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Lake City MINI dealer update
Old 04-13-2009, 10:36 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
thanks Coopdy Having a MINI makes going to a new location much easier (altho Ive worked out of Seattle on my current job, so I know the area fairly well.)

Old 06-10-2009, 10:05 PM
tonjohn
2nd Gear
I just recently purchased a 2009 MCS from Northwest Mini and it was a very positive experience. Out of the four dealerships that I have worked with over the years (Roadshow, Mini of Dallas, and Moritz Mini), NW Mini is by far the best.

Jay was great to work with and extremely helpful. If anyone is interested in buying a Mini, I'd definitely recommend Jay at NW Mini.

Regarding the OPs complaint, every time I have gone to the dealership I was greeted as soon as I walked into the door.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:49 AM
CThoma031
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sequence

Hmmmm good question I'll PM you my response

Old 07-13-2009, 07:52 AM
CThoma031
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by tonjohn
I just recently purchased a 2009 MCS from Northwest Mini and it was a very positive experience. Out of the four dealerships that I have worked with over the years (Roadshow, Mini of Dallas, and Moritz Mini), NW Mini is by far the best.

Jay was great to work with and extremely helpful. If anyone is interested in buying a Mini, I'd definitely recommend Jay at NW Mini.

Regarding the OPs complaint, every time I have gone to the dealership I was greeted as soon as I walked into the door.
Jay helped me too very good

Wave if you see a Black MC which white roof and rotator caps

Old 08-23-2009, 10:29 PM
RayRatt
4th Gear
Wow! I was amazed to read from some of the 2007 posts that people were waiting for up to 18 months to get a car from Northwest MINI. Two years later and the time is down to 10 weeks (it would have been less if the Oxford factory hadn't shut down for the first two weeks of August - and if my MINI didn't have to wait at the Southampton dock for two weeks). I guess that shorter wait time is the silver lining in this dark cloud of a recession we are going through.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:06 PM
MisterClean
3rd Gear
New MINI Owner Experience

Hello!

Just a couple weeks ago I purchased a preowned 2009 MINI Cooper at NW MINI and I have to say that it was a pleasant experience. I would purchase another MINI at that location in a heartbeat. At no time did I feel pressured to make a decision and I even left mid-way during the process to have lunch and think about the purchase.

Basically I found the manager and the motoring advisor to both be polite and reasonable during the process. I understand that MINIs might sell themselves but not all of us can go in and submit an order for a decked out MINI. It's because of their willingness to work with me and respect they gave me that I will be going back to them first for my next MINI.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:47 PM
RayRatt
4th Gear
I agree with MisterClean. I have nothing but praise for Northwest MINI, and especially Mark Sandau, my MA. I originally had gone to Rasmussen MINI in Portland with every intention of buying a new MINI and paying cash. They were more interested in selling me a MINI off their lot than trying to locate one that was even close to what I wanted.

After a couple frustrating days, I was ready to forget about buying a MINI. But, I decided to drive to NW MINI in Fife, Washington, to see if they might want to sell a car. As I said, I had a VERY good experience with NW MINI. They couldn't find a car close enough to what I wanted, so they ordered the MINI of my dreams, giving me the slot at the top of their allocation. As it turned out, I got the last Nightfire Red Cooper since MINI now only offers that color on the Clubman and the convertible. Sweet!

Maybe the difference is that Rasmussen sells MINI's as a sideline (they are a BMW dealer), while NW MINI only sells MINI's? Whatever, I would recommend NW MINI to anyone in a heartbeat.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:56 PM
white3
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is a little late, but I bought my Mini at Northwest Mini about one year ago and had a great experience. Everyone from my MA to the guys in parts were super nice and helpful. I wasnt as pleased with the service manager when I went back to fix a problem. I got a little too much attitude for my taste. Just had my yearly oil service at Seattle Mini and the service was great!

Old 05-15-2011, 08:11 AM
Island maser
5th Gear
PDX MINI has now changed hands and is now part of the Lithia Group- Beware= "Dirt Bags".

I bought by first car at Fife in Nov. 2009. MCS for the wife. I did not like the buying experience very much. Too much BMW BS attitiude. It's a car! Not an exotic or something it is a car. I bit my tongue and purchased it. Service was good except I had tire light come low pressure as I driving down 5. Pulled over and reset a few times as I check the pressure with my gauge. I pulled into Fife and they put it on the rack. Showed me a nail head in the tire. Wanted almost $400 for a replacement run crap. I thought about it and decided I could get 4 non RF for a bit more so I passed. Went to Les Schwab
to get it repaired and was just a nail head no nail stuck on the tire. No repair needed. Reset the monitor and was never a problem again. Might not have been Fife's fault as they did not pull the nail head but they could have checked before wanting $400 to replace a tire that was fine. When I decided to upgrade to 2011 JCW I called my salesman and he gave a low ball trade number over the phone. never called back to answer a free questions I had so I bought my 2011 in Seattle.

Seattle MINI- Purchase was fine but got stiffed on some promised items on delivery. Leaves a bad taste as it makes them liars. Manager and I worked it out I thought. I send an e-mail for clarification and got the blow off. No biggie as not worht the BS. Now my MINI is broken down in PDX for over a month and they will not provide any information. Seattle was going to move the car to there store to actually see why the motor failed. After a week I called on Monday to see where my MINI was. He was off and said he would call back Tuesday with an update. Sunday Morning and I have had no call!
I read more about my car on line than the dealers are willing to communicate.
Bobby Danger-I am sure a Lithia PDX Employee-Posted on line that Lithia hates me and so does my dealer Seattle MINI. I was so crushed to read that on line. How about either dealer do there jobs and pick up the phone and communicate with a customer who has bought 2 MINI's in 14 months.
I love my MINI Jack but after this the only reason I will drive the car is warn other potential customers about dealing with the MINI/BMW Dealers. Maybe it is all dealers now unless you find a good one. Not sure BMW or MINI have any. Good look people it is not pretty out there.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:31 PM
minilu
Neutral
does anyone use Seattle Mini? bought my MCS there 18 months ago and may be needing a replacement clutch. Cost quoted seems rather high

Old 08-17-2011, 01:24 PM
Coopdy
4th Gear
I have only used them for routine covered maintenance. They have done a good job from what I can tell, but of course I do not know their pricing. Another place to possibly call is EuroCar Service -- I used them once for an oil change, though I did find them pricey...

Old 09-01-2011, 03:28 PM
Ministrater
3rd Gear
I purchase fluids and parts there all the time. I've only had them do one job last Fall. They replaced my sunroof seal. They were nice enough and gave me a loaner as well. One of the reps there, after I mentioned a leaky oil pan gasket, said they would replace it for free if it was less than two years old as long as it was oem. She followed it up with the statement "these cars like to leak oil". I wasn't surprised at the statement but the fact it was the rep saying it. Awkward.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:25 PM
Mojito
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by minilu
does anyone use Seattle Mini? bought my MCS there 18 months ago and may be needing a replacement clutch. Cost quoted seems rather high
They charge msrp on all their cars, can't imagine service would be much different

Old 09-25-2011, 10:19 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RayRatt
I have nothing but praise for Northwest MINI, and especially Mark Sandau, my MA.

Maybe the difference is that Rasmussen sells MINI's as a sideline (they are a BMW dealer), while NW MINI only sells MINI's? Whatever, I would recommend NW MINI to anyone in a heartbeat.
We have bought 3 Mini's from NW Mini. Jay sold our us our first 2 Mini's. Mark delivered the second and we recently purchased a Coupe from NW Mini. It's on the boat now and I hope to take delivery around the 18th of October. (Hopefully!) Mark has done a great job as always.

I've always had good service from from the service department. Bert generally takes care of my service needs and has done a good job.

I think that all dealerships have issues at sometime or another. It's how they react to those issues that separates the good dealerships from the not so good. I will give NW Mini my support and trust as long as I am treated fairly and respectfully and so far they have filled both of my needs.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:53 AM
blacter
2nd Gear
Just to add my $.02, I had a terrific experience with Seattle MINI in May. Jay Hammon was my MA and was able to find me a car in the system (it was destined for Hawaii) that had most of the features I wanted so I could avoid ordering and waiting. Absolutely no up-charges or weirdness, just a very pleasant, straightforward transaction.

As a side note, does anyone know why the Hawaii dealer would let another dealer grab their car? Clearly that wouldn't have happened a couple of years ago when this thread started and MINIs were subject to year-long wait lists.

BTW, I live in Oregon, so the only reason I went to Seattle was that the Portland dealer was in transition during its sale to Lithia Motors. I just visited the Portland dealer last week and learned that they're moving from their current downtown location, co-joined with the BMW store, to a new location on an auto row on Canyon Road. Should take place in January.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:13 PM
gokartowner
1st Gear
Xxx mini show

Was anyone able to attend the show in Issaquah last weekend? Any Pics?

Old 09-26-2011, 07:53 PM
just_jimsu
Neutral
Old 09-26-2011, 08:34 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gokartowner
Was anyone able to attend the show in Issaquah last weekend? Any Pics?
I wanted to go but had prior commitments. I haven't been too active in the club for the past year and a half. Just got caught up in regular life and a lousy economy.

Hopefully things will improve this year. I hope to attend at least a couple of events if for no other reason than to give others a chance to see the new Coupe.

Pat

Old 09-27-2011, 07:16 PM
gokartowner
1st Gear
Xxx mini show

Looks like a great time was had by all! Thanks for the pics!