Off-Topic :: Autos Interested in discussing other autos? This is the place!

Thoughts on my Friends new STi

Old 11-14-2006, 09:42 PM
flannelhippie
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thoughts on my Friends new STi

Well, my friend (still in High School) got an 04 Subaru WRX STi. Needless to say, it was given to him. But I had a couple of things to say on the car. I took it for a test drive, and noticed some things. If im blowing out my a$$, then correct me but heres the things I thought:

1. Car looks Badass (opinion)
2. Sooo much Power (fact)
3. Cheap, not real carbon fiber interior.
4. People get so offensive when they pull up next to 2 teenagers in a car like this.
5. People are idiots when around this car.
6. I thought when I got a Cooper, that people would wanna make me look bad by trying to race me(I just laugh and drive normal) But when we are at a stoplight next to anyone our age we get mean looks, and a revved engine from the guy next to us.
7. People have no clue about this car, and what it can do. (Story) We pulled in the the gas station to get some munch-munch, and when we get out, a twenty-something guy was looking at the car, and he asked a couple of questions: So does the hood scoop actually do anything, or is it for looks? (We laughed and explained the torbo set-up and TMIC), Then he asked, Why do you have a wing on a front wheel drive car? (We didnt laugh, and told him is was running 64%to the rear wheels, and 36% to the front.
8. Love this car, and got me jealous that my car isnt a beast off the line, but I told him to wait till auto cross season.
9. He asked me if the STi handled better, and I was proud to say, that I didnt think it did(correct me if Im wrong) I thought there was a lot of fast, and good handling, but I didnt see the go-kartness.

Correct me if In wrong, but thats what I noticed, Comment.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:14 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Maybe you should have gotten the STi, fh. After you've owned a number of cars, you will realize what a very special vehicle the MINI is. The STi is fast off the line, but it is not a very good-looking vehicle, inside or out, IMO. It's not always about speed, but about handling, balance, and something called "soul." I don't think the STi has an ounce of "soul." But that's just me.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:21 PM
cooper99
Banned
What are you talking about Clo? The WRX STi not having an ounce of soul? It's been like the most famous WRC car for the past 5 years. I really think posting negative opinions about other vehicles is out of place on this site. IMO only post if you have a positive opinion or fact on a subject like this. STi's are amazing.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:31 PM
05DSMCS
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey...she said "But that's just me!" I think we should all be able to post our opinions respectfully, and not only if they make others feel good. It's not what is written, it's how it's taken.

I admire the STi, but love the MINI. I feel pretty much the same way that Clo does - I feel like it's more of an emotional thing for me. Do I wish my car had more guts? Sometimes, but I like the balance.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:51 PM
psb
3rd Gear
a car is a car and only we can make it more.... the sti looks great to the op cause of the high school age group thing.... the contradiction and judgment on how other people act around the car , but that no one knows what it is???? i will sum up my response by saying that with life expierience comes perspective..... glad you dug the sti it is fast and statistically amazing!

Old 11-15-2006, 12:04 AM
JCWGurl
Coordinator :: Manitoba MINI Motoring Club
The car is amazing (the Sti) I know plenty of people here who drive them and they are not only for young drivers! They make hoards of power and torque and as a WRC fan I think the car is maybe the best bang for the buck these days. Does it have "soul"? Maybe it will someday. The MINI was a unique car when it rolled off the line way back when and they have done a great job keeping the MINI "unique". There are plenty of Subbie clubs around with enthusiastic owners so who knows how we will reflect on the Sti in 20-30 years...if it's still around you can bet it has some "soul" to have that kind of staying power. All this being said if - IN MY OPINION - it didn't look so cheap inside and ugly outside then I would have considered one too. I must say they are starting to go in the right direction with their look in '06 so who knows....will there one day be a 2 door sexy version rather then the "supped up family sedan" look?

Old 11-15-2006, 01:03 AM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JCWGurl
will there one day be a 2 door sexy version rather then the "supped up family sedan" look?

There has been for years, we just dont get it here.

Old 11-15-2006, 04:31 AM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The STI demands, and deserves any automotive enthusiasts' respect: END OF STORY.

It is a formidable car that is really quick and agile. I personally like how it looks, but I do agree that the interior is by no means luxurious. But I'm not sure I have a problem with that. After all, this is NOT a Legacy, this is a purpose-built rally car, so why weigh it down with creature comforts? Wouldn't that be out of place? It would be diluting the rally-bred soul of the car. (And yes, the STI does have plenty of soul; it's just a different kind of soul).

I say again, any automotive enthusiast should respect the STI. How could you NOT?

Old 11-15-2006, 05:18 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Again, I said nothing disrespectful about the STi, it just doesn't speak to me on any level. I have been in one, too. flannelhippie asked for our comments. Mine were made with all due respect, and in all honesty. If that offended anyone, I am sorry.

Old 11-15-2006, 05:42 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
It has my respect.... wish the materials used in the interior were better

Old 11-15-2006, 05:45 AM
Carpe Diem
2nd Gear
Tell your friend to take it easy- thats alot of car! I also have friends with fast cars, but chicks like the MINI better!

Old 11-15-2006, 06:01 AM
flannelhippie
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem
Tell your friend to take it easy- thats alot of car! I also have friends with fast cars, but chicks like the MINI better!

His car went to the shop for a knocking sound that was there when he(his parents) bought it. But we were both reflecting about when we drive a different car, we dont get people lookin over their shoulder as we pass to get a peek.

Old 11-15-2006, 06:02 AM
fred3
4th Gear
I'm sure everything you noticed is correct, but remember that there are 1000's of people who don't make comments like that or look at teens that way.

I've had my MINI for over 2 years now and have never received any negative comments. Being 53 years old I'm more aware of how I present myself to others and it's no big secret that younger males posture more than older ones as we usually have nothing to prove. I'm not saying your strut, but you can't turn off the aggressive posture any more than you can turn off your feelings. It'll pass and it's all a grand adventure anyway. :-)

Old 11-15-2006, 06:04 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIclo
Maybe you should have gotten the STi, fh. After you've owned a number of cars, you will realize what a very special vehicle the MINI is. The STi is fast off the line, but it is not a very good-looking vehicle, inside or out, IMO. It's not always about speed, but about handling, balance, and something called "soul." I don't think the STi has an ounce of "soul." But that's just me.
Absolutely +1. after you own a number of j-pop cars
like me you understand more what those cars are missing.

but i recommend one buys and plays with those cars early in their
lives... mid-20's would be perfect.

Old 11-15-2006, 07:04 AM
clarkdr81
6th Gear
Originally Posted by flannelhippie
4. People get so offensive when they pull up next to 2 teenagers in a car like this.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by this but I wouldn't blame people for being a little cold toward or apprehensive about being around a car like the sti with two teenagers in it. Inexperience and fast cars are a bad mix. As a teenager I thought I was a great driver but when I look back at some of the stupid decisions I would make on the road, I feel fortunate that I never got in any serious trouble. When I was in high school a friend of mine had a Mustang 5.0. One day on his way home from school he took a corner too fast and spun out of control, narrowly missing some other cars. Fortunately he stayed on the road and he drove home unharmed. But later that afternoon, the police came knocking on his door and he was charged with wreckless endangerment after being reported by one of the cars he almost hit. (The funny part of the story was that he was later contacted by PBS, who was doing a show on teen drivers and they had cameras following him around for a couple of weeks while he went to his driver safety course he was required to take. And it was narrated by the woman from Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman)

But my point is that the STI is a fast car and while your friend may be very responsible, you can't be too careful if you're an inexperienced teenage driver.

Old 11-15-2006, 07:33 AM
Mini Mizer
5th Gear
The STI is an impressive car performance wise, no doubt about it. I mean the thing is a monster, and for its price tag it is a good buy. But it is not as luxurious, the interior is simple, but functional. Maybe slightly on the cheap side. I believe alot of reviews considered the STI the less luxurious more sporty Audi S4 in comparision. The car was built to move, and move it does!

However...with all that being said, my main problem with it, is its looks. (my opinion) The car is a mid/full sized sedan. They try to make it a little sporty by adding a large wing on the back and a raised hood scoop (although functional). Without the wing and scoop, the car looks just like every other sedan on the road IMO. You can put performance into anything, so why not put it into something that looks "sporty" like an S2000 for example. That car performs great and looks great while doing it.

I've said it before and i'll say it again, the STI could have 1000hp...but no matter how fast you make the STI, its still a 4 door sedan.

Something about 4 doors and "sporty" just doesnt go together...

Old 11-15-2006, 07:34 AM
Mineon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by flannelhippie
season.
9. He asked me if the STi handled better, and I was proud to say, that I didnt think it did(correct me if Im wrong) I thought there was a lot of fast, and good handling, but I didnt see the go-kartness.

Correct me if In wrong, but thats what I noticed, Comment.
You're wrong. Go to an autocross sometime and observe what a well-driven STi can do. It will lay waste to a Cooper or Cooper S. There is a reason the Sti is in the A Stock class and the Cooper and Cooper S are in the slower H and G Stock classes.

The Mini may "feel" better on the street and is possibly easier to drive, but the STi with the same level of preparation (race tires, etc) will always be faster, much faster. If it isn't, it is purely due to the driver. Some of the other cars in the same SCCA stock class as the STi are the S2000, Porsche Boxster, Evo VIII, and older Corvettes. Both the STi and Cooper S are great cars, just completely different kinds of cars, in many ways.

-Keith

Old 11-15-2006, 07:51 AM
MyPocketRocket
6th Gear
I like the WRX STI, but I hate to drive one because people will try to race you all the time.

Test drove STI, EVO and bought S4 mainly because it doesn't scream "hey race me!"

I think MINI is great handling car, but far shy from 4WD system on STi, EVO and S4.

Old 11-15-2006, 08:50 AM
Squirlz
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini Mizer
The STI is an impressive car performance wise, no doubt about it. I mean the thing is a monster, and for its price tag it is a good buy. But it is not as luxurious, the interior is simple, but functional. Maybe slightly on the cheap side. I believe alot of reviews considered the STI the less luxurious more sporty Audi S4 in comparision. The car was built to move, and move it does!

However...with all that being said, my main problem with it, is its looks. (my opinion) The car is a mid/full sized sedan. They try to make it a little sporty by adding a large wing on the back and a raised hood scoop (although functional). Without the wing and scoop, the car looks just like every other sedan on the road IMO. You can put performance into anything, so why not put it into something that looks "sporty" like an S2000 for example. That car performs great and looks great while doing it.

I've said it before and i'll say it again, the STI could have 1000hp...but no matter how fast you make the STI, its still a 4 door sedan.

Something about 4 doors and "sporty" just doesnt go together...
Watch some World Rally racing, if you can find it on American TV

This is why cars in this form exist.

Old 11-15-2006, 09:13 AM
Mini Mizer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Squirlz
Watch some World Rally racing, if you can find it on American TV

This is why cars in this form exist.
I do watch it, and i enjoy it

But i still wouldnt call the STI a sports car. Its an all wheel drive sedan on steriods.

Now if they took the STI engine/trans with all wheel drive and put it into a slightly smaller 2 door coupe or 2 door roadster, that would be different.

But just because something is fast doesnt automaticaly make it a "sports" car.

IMO i love the STI performance but i dont think the car is very sexy...to say the least.

Old 11-15-2006, 09:13 AM
Gromit801
6th Gear
STi? Yaaawwwwnnnnnn....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Old 11-15-2006, 09:23 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kenchan
Absolutely +1. after you own a number of j-pop cars
like me you understand more what those cars are missing.

but i recommend one buys and plays with those cars early in their
lives... mid-20's would be perfect.

but then, after driving a MCS for 3+ years you also understand what
these cars are missing too.

Old 11-15-2006, 09:37 AM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
I grew up driving classic Minis. Handling has always been one of the most important things in a car for me. I also grew up watching rally and being constantly impressed by the Imprezzas. When I heard that BMW was going to make a new MINI, my response was "as long as they don't screw it up, that's my next car. If they DO screw it up, it'll be an Imprezza." The MINI was well done, so that's what I'm driving, and I love my car, but the performance Imprezzas are also amazing cars. If the MINI didn't exist, I'd be driving a WRX because the STi wasn't on the market when I got the MINI.

Old 11-15-2006, 09:50 AM
Mini Mizer
5th Gear
I think im gonig to make my next car the Lotus Exige.

I better start saving.

Old 11-15-2006, 09:50 AM
MyPocketRocket
6th Gear

Quick Reply: Thoughts on my Friends new STi