Off-Topic :: Autos Interested in discussing other autos? This is the place!

H2s. Are they really that bad?

Old 08-14-2006, 07:11 PM
qwertmonkey
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Android993
They had some as part of the Avis rental fleet and I got two as free upgrades, what a POS. They are simply poorly designed, uncomfortable and really a poor excuse for a SUV. The one thing that drove me nuts was that I had to use my right hand to lower the windows down. The armrest has the controls so far back that your left hand can't get to them without being in a wierd position. I think there are a lot of other good choices out there for your mom, Audi A6 wagon, Lexus etc. Just my humble $0.02 worth.
Right hand for the windows.....hmmm....why does that sound familer.... Its the same in the MINI!

Besides that, what was so...crappy about it?

PS: If I have sounded offensive in any of the above posts, I apologize. I am just countering every negative comment. Thats all.

qwertmonkey: watch your usage of profanity. Anymore offensive posts and this thread will be locked. MINIclo

Last edited by MINIclo; 08-18-2006 at 04:33 PM. Reason: deleted profanity, replaced with crappy
Old 08-14-2006, 07:12 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by qwertmonkey
I was unable to view that vid. Was that the one where he poped the tie rod? That was just a fluke. I dont think that would have happened to every hummer.
Yeah prob the same vid. I rechecked & was able to view it. I had to click the black picture part then hit play but it played.

I say get what you want but you asked so even if I was a mechanic I would rather have an new SUV w/warranty for the same price as a used hummer w/out warranty. Plus better gas mileage from most other SUV's

Old 08-14-2006, 07:20 PM
qwertmonkey
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bamatt

I say get what you want but you asked so even if I was a mechanic I would rather have an new SUV w/warranty for the same price as a used hummer w/out warranty. Plus better gas mileage from most other SUV's
I aggree, but I dont know if I want a "new car." I mean, I just dont deserve it...

....If you catch my drift...

Old 08-14-2006, 07:52 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
I thought the MINI was yours ?

Old 08-14-2006, 08:08 PM
qwertmonkey
6th Gear
Thats a common misconception. Its my Mothers. I am the care taker.

I wash it/detail it, mod it, and have fun with it. I am only 15 but I have my driving permit. I can drive it every once in a while.

When I first joined NAM, I was a little shy about sharing my age. I was afraid that people wouldn't take me seriously. A few months ago, I was forced to edit my post because I refered to the MINI as mine. (A mod told me to.) Im not gonna say "my mothers MINI" every time I take about it.

Its just natural to say my MINI!

Old 08-14-2006, 08:19 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could just get a Mini-Van. Or is that just too uncool vs getting the new generation of the soccermom-mobile?

Old 08-14-2006, 08:22 PM
qwertmonkey
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Gromit801
Could just get a Mini-Van. Or is that just too uncool vs getting the new generation of the soccermom-mobile?
Please read post #16 on page one.

Old 08-14-2006, 08:34 PM
Rawhyde
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 1 Post
How about a K2500 Suburban. It has more room than the H2, and with the 3/4 Ton Chassis, it is much MORE heavy duty. You can even get a Diesel, which is a big plus (to me) in this type vehicle. Unfortunately, you're stuck with an automatic transmission with either choice. At least the Diesel will get the Allison. Since it's actually a medium duty truck transmission, it MIGHT last longer.

Rawhyde

Old 08-14-2006, 08:42 PM
qwertmonkey
6th Gear
Rawhyde, that is a nice choice. I also like the fact that you can get the diesel with the allison tranny. Its the best auto I've driven.

My dad has owned one. My parents are divorced....so...well I guess you can fill in the rest.

(they dont like eachother.)

Old 08-15-2006, 07:05 AM
Squirlz
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My biggest problem with the H2 is that the style is 100% poseur. You pay ridiculous money over the price of a Tahoe to look like a little boy playing Army. I'd be embarassed to be seen in one. Just my opinion.

Old 08-15-2006, 07:10 AM
ImaVunDerBrah
6th Gear
I don't hate SUVs, but I do hate Hummers. If you need a large SUV, my vote goes to the Nissan Armada. My parents have one. They live in China so I babysit it while they're away.. I love it.

Old 08-15-2006, 07:45 AM
sizedontmatter
1st Gear
you obviously have your mind set on an H2. I personally think it is a huge mistake. I have owned a few ( :-P ) vehicles in my time, and I wouldn't touch an H2 with a 10 foot pole. Unless you are doing some stupid off roading its overkill. I navigated some pretty nasty stuff in the FX, it did fine. AWD is far superior to 4WD.

Anyway, the H2 may seem the commercially cooler vehicle to get, but I have always been of the opinion that the best cars sell them self.

The more adds you see for a vehicle on TV, the farther I stay away from it. With the exception of the camry and accord.

The H2 will continue to depriciate as fast as a rock in a pond.

It get horrific milage, as noted, simply costs your more money.

I am not an SUV basher or a Big motor basher. Hell, I have a V8 Titan and a V10 Dodge Viper.

Getting the H2 is a big mistake.

Edit:

I just read you are 15, no offense, but I didn't have a clue when I was 15, how is it you are making auto purchase decisions, what age can you get a license these days???

Old 08-15-2006, 08:19 AM
clarkdr81
6th Gear
I agree with sizedon'tmatter, from the way you're countering every argument against the H2 it sounds like you've made up your mind.

In general, I think a MINI forum is a bad place to get advice on buying a large SUV. To me, there are many capable vehicles (including other SUVs) that are not as large and inefficient yet are just as functional. I think the perception that full-size SUVs are more functional and safe is a myth in most cases.

If you really want an H2 go for it, each person is entitled to their own opinion. Mine is that H2 owners completely lack originality... If you've ever watched CRIBS on MTV, EVERYONE and their mother has an H2, I think as soon as you make it big in the entertainment/sports biz you are required to buy one. Its the perfect car if you're trying to keep up with the Jones. But like I said, thats just my opinion...

P.S. How about the Ford Excursion?

Old 08-15-2006, 08:35 AM
qwertmonkey
6th Gear
Originally Posted by clarkdr81

P.S. How about the Ford Excursion?
my dad has one.

Well, our mind isnt completly made up yet. Were pretty sure that this is what we want, but not positive. We are going to look at one tomorrow, so that'll make up or mind.

Old 08-17-2006, 12:11 PM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
It sounds like it is.

There's plenty of reasons to not purchase a H2, as already stated, and as far as I can see, there's only 1 reason to want to purchase it; as a status symbol (or the "cool" factor, however you want to look at it).

Whatever reason you justify buying it for, enjoy your $50,000 blinged out Tahoe in a box. To each his own.

Old 08-18-2006, 08:18 AM
JoeCool
3rd Gear
My family has owned variations of all the vehicles you are looking at. Here are my impressions:
M class: Early M's had a lot of quality control issues, so one that is out of warranty is a bit scary IMO. You'd think that German engineering would make for a sweet truck, but it is the first european SUV to really gain traction in the US market, so in comparison to its german rivals, it suffers in the handlig department. You can tell it's a body on frame vehicle every time you make a turn, with it's high center of gravity and vague steering (much like a disco!). The stock brakes are pretty bad, too. I never liked the "wait for it" feel of the pedal. Decent storage capacity compared to your other two choices, but the tail lift gate is f'en hard to close. Have your mom try to close it before you buy. Oh, and good luck getting aftermarket or go fast parts for it.
X5- Great brakes! Of the three, this is the best driver's SUV (if there is such a thing). And, the X5 community is fairly enthusiastic, if their website is any indication. Storage space sucks, though. It has a 2 section tailgate, which is easy to open and close. If you have a base X5, I think it still comes with a tape deck (!!) And, it's not a hard core off road vehicle. Good for snow and such, but it doesn't have the drivetrain for real adventure.
H2- What can I say? This thing is a BEAST. Poor visiblility, even though it is the tallest of the 3 choices. Parking garages can be touchy. Lots of road noise, and chintzy switch gear, and either crappy storage space (for its size), or a spare tire hanging from the rear bumper. I won't even mention the handling, although the brakes are decent. BUT- kids love it! Little boys of all ages give you the thumbs up. I'm not fond of SUV's (the hummer belongs to my dad and his second childhood), but I drove it for several weeks last December. It grows on you. And, there are lots of ways to customize the truck, from superchargers to chromed everything. Oh, and although it sucks down the dead dinosaurs like a drunkard with a hollow leg, it's the only one of the three that is happy on 87 octane gas. Hope this helps!

Old 08-18-2006, 03:37 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The ultimate Accessory for the Hummer
http://www.foursprung.com/2006/08/su...ontrolled.html

Old 08-18-2006, 04:22 PM
promking
2nd Gear
Old 08-18-2006, 05:21 PM
qwertmonkey