Off-Topic :: Autos Interested in discussing other autos? This is the place!

The 1960 Caddy De Ville

Old 05-16-2007, 02:28 PM
MBR
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 1960 Caddy De Ville

What's going on everyone? I absolutely think that the 1960-69 Cadillac's are just simply great! It's hard to wonder why? I drive a Cooper S, which could probably fit in the Caddy's trunk! Does anyone have any experience with these automobiles? My father had one... wait, a couple..coupes. However, he doesn't think I should buy a another car... I'll need a place to store it, but the funds are taken care of.

This one is of interest....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1960-...ayphotohosting

Old 05-16-2007, 06:24 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's a real nice-looking car, but they say it's rust free except for two areas while showing a photo with obvious rust under the trunk lid. I really like the line of the roof.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:29 PM
89AKurt
6th Gear
I always wanted to put a wing between those fins. Good looking considering the excessive chrome ornamentation.

BTW: welcome to NAM.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:34 PM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
Yes Kurt, carry the MINI in the trunk! I beleive you should also take up ultra light aviation to take advantage of the Caddy's decks

Old 05-17-2007, 06:05 AM
MDK
6th Gear
The last harrah for Harly Earl- 61 saw the Bill Mitchell era begin for Caddies and the designs took a much different angle-literaly. My father-in-law is crazy about 59's and that 60 looks pretty clean. I think it would next to impossible for a PA car of this era to be "rust free" but it prob doesn't have much. If you are thinking about something like this I honestly hope you are a good mechanic and have plenty of $$ for the parts you'll need. The stlying of these old Caddies is special-very Americana/space race and are a sight to behold BUT the build quality was not good and age only makes that worse. If you know this going in and expect to do a lot of work that's good. Luckily it's all pretty basic and there is tons of room to work-parts might be harder to find for Caddies than other GM mainstays but they are availible and the rides are incredible-you'll feel like your in a parade everytime you drive it. I would caution against the nitro in the tires- -air should be good enough. Take your time and look at many before you buy.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:16 AM
MBR
2nd Gear
Thanks everyone for your input. My father sold his last coupe de ville with over 150,000 miles on the odo and he said it was still running like new. I'm not a mechanic, however since my father has experience with classic caddy's I think I'll be fine. Now, maybe I should go real crazy and start looking for an old school Caddy ambulance (Ghost Buster style).

Old 05-17-2007, 07:40 AM
MDK
6th Gear
What I meant is that if you find one that has been sitting the seals,belts,etc will be dried, cracked and/or seized. Old oil turns to sludge and can sometimes cause havoc with chucks of stuff flying around the cylinders when you try to start it-even if you have flushed it. Find the best example you can-something that has already been gone through. You can never get out of what you put into classics so you can find a car that is half what it cost to restore and will probably be just fine. You will have to keep it to that level once you get it which isn't hard on something this old but it will keep you busy, for most collectors that's the whole attraction. Something to wrench on and enjoy. It is really refreshing to open a hood and see no computer in sight and to be able to adjust or replace everything.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:52 AM
princeofwaldo
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MBR
What's going on everyone? I absolutely think that the 1960-69 Cadillac's are just simply great! It's hard to wonder why? I drive a Cooper S, which could probably fit in the Caddy's trunk! Does anyone have any experience with these automobiles? My father had one... wait, a couple..coupes. However, he doesn't think I should buy a another car... I'll need a place to store it, but the funds are taken care of.

This one is of interest....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1960-...ayphotohosting
Quite a car. I think the 1964 convertible is the rare one from the 60s but this 1960 sure looks choice. Amazing how much the dash board controlls resemble cars made by GM 10 years later, especially the heat control sliders.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:01 AM
Rick-Anderson
6th Gear
I like the 1960 the best - the look of a '59s fins without the fugly bullet lights.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:15 AM
MDK
6th Gear
the 60 model was also cleaner than the 59 in chrome ,grill, etc-subtle but it was a step in the direction that landed with the 61 model that was much cleaner and leaner.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:22 PM
royal4mac
4th Gear
WOW, that takes me back. Yes, my dad had one too. Silver in fact. How much does this piece of history go for?