White Mini that crashed on HWY84 10.11.09

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 09:55 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I live up by Alice's

and on nice weekends, there's pretty much an accident a day during the summer. People drive like idiots all the time. That's not to excuse what they do, that's just a fact. We have some of the nicest enthusiast roads in the area up here and with Alice's being a nice lunch destination and the "four corners" (35 & 84) being a common staging place for runs, I'm sad to say that what Enchanter pointed out is all too common.

Really, if more were like Enchanter (who took his time to post something in the right area of the largest Mini forum in the US), then I'm sure we'd all be better off.

The bonehead drivers up here make it much less safe for us all. Not only that, they bring the wrath of the authorities down on the area, increasing patrols and the like so that those who act more responsibly are more limited.

I often stop at accidents to help with flares, phone calls, look for motorcyclist down embankments and the like. The largest contributor to accidents here are sport drivers driving too hard. The next seems to be older drivers who have senior moments. Then large trucks that have trouble with tight turns crunching hoods of vehicles in the other lanes.

These roads aren't a track environment with corner workers holding yellow flags to warn of problems that can't be seen. Drive in a reasonable way and we'll all have more fun, the volenteer fire department in La Honda won't have to scrape people off the pavement, and the highway patrol and San Mateo county sheriffs will have other things that command thier attention. Seems like a win win to me.

Matt

Old 11-30-2009, 02:23 PM
ricbow
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patz66b
I have to agree frumysf. The driver was a 19 yr old with minimal time "in the saddle" no doubt. This accident is about a 5 minute drive from my house on the east side of Novato & I pass through there regularly. When I first heard about the wreck on KCBS740, I assumed it was the MINI that got broadsided not the other way around. I think the MINI driver was probably trying to "make the light" so he was accelerating on Lakeville Hwy and the driver of the Honda CR-V determined that he/she could stop safely at the yellow light. The picture in the article shows where they ended up on the Reclamation Rd side of HWY 37 and it blows me away that this young driver thought he could make the turn onto eastbound 37 at that high rate of speed. Prayers go out for the Sonoma family tragically killed in this accident.

On Friday morning (after this Thanksgiving) around 6:30 am I was driving on 101 south in very light traffic through San Rafael in the left lane on my way to work in SF. Up ahead of me in the next lane over was a sweet looking Honda Civic. We were both cruising along around 60-65 mph or so when a woman in an Audi station wagon blew by me in the right lane at about 90. My first thought was that she was trying to get to one of those Black Friday sales! As we all approached that kink in the freeway under the 580 overpass, the Audi driver suddenly decided she needed to be in the left lane (in spite of the fact that there were no cars in front of her). She swooped across all four lanes heading to my lane and I thought that she was going too fast and wasn't going to make it so I started to brake. Just then she slammed on the brakes and nearly hit the Honda, then started to fish-tail out of control. At that point I started down-shifting, hit the emergecy flashers to warn the cars behind me and looked for an escape route as she spun around. It felt like I was in a NASCAR race as she spun quickly around while sliding back toward the right lane then the car abruptly spun yet again and headed back toward me. On about the fourth rotation, I accelerated past her and looked back to see her come to rest pointing the right direction on the right shoulder berm. Wow! That was way too close for me. I caught up to and passed in front of the Honda on my way to get gas at the Chevron station in Corte Madera. The Honda followed me into the station and a young Hispanic guy got out of his car and was looking at his tires. I told him what had just happened and he said he had heard all the screeching tire sounds and thought he had something go wrong with his car. He & I had lucked out this time & hopefully the Audi driver wet her pants over what she had just done.

Both of these incidents were avoidable and cause me to rethink my driving habits. As most of you know, our MINIs handle & accelerate so well, they lead to "spirited" driving. I think I'll be backing off a click or two from now on and get to where I'm going a few minutes later but all in one piece.
i agree with patt, and i think they schould put count down signs around those lights. i,e, 10-9-8--7-6-5-4-3-2-1

Old 11-30-2009, 03:36 PM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Leave the fast driving to the race track

My friends all have some very fast cars. All of them are faster then my JCW. Porsche's, R8's, Corvette's, A ford GT, and I do not know of any of these guys ever to really get it on,on the streets. If going someware in a group we may travel at 80/90 on the interstates if traffic is also moving that swift. We never race or do anything stupid on a street. We do go to track days at some racetracks. It costs $$$$ but it is safe and fun to get it on off of the street. My next track day will be this Wed. Dec.2nd at Daytona. That is if I can sign up on that day. I missed the deadline because of Doctors appointments so I don't know if I can run or not. I will be there though. This stupid cancer is ruining my fun days.
Ronnie948

Old 11-30-2009, 07:25 PM
patz66b
1st Gear
Ric...Many years ago there WERE countdown warning lights that started flashing, a few seconds before the lights went yellow. For some reason, when CalTrans repaved that section of roadway, they removed these helpful warnings. I'm not sure it would have helped in the wreck as the 19 yr old MINI MCS driver obviously had no intention of stopping. The CHP is still investigating and haven't released anything about the MINI driver until they do the autopsy. I agree with Ronnie948 in that I never go flat out on the street. I've never revved my MCS anywhere close to redline and usually tool along on the freeway at no more than 3K on the tach in 6th gear. We might wick it up on the backroads but I never put myself in a situation where I'm out of control.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:34 AM
DrSelina
2nd Gear
I want to thank Enchanter for writing the initial post. I also want to ask all of you to say a quick prayer for the families of all the victims of yesterday's crash.
Like several of you, I enjoy the go-cart handling of my Simone and the freedom that she gives me. So much so that there are many times when I look at the speedometer and realize I am speeding. Even though my dad and uncle made sure I can handle anything I drive and drive it well, this is not an excuse to put other peoples' lives in danger. My motoring habits are changing right now.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:04 PM
tobey1kenobi
1st Gear
Just a stupid little thing, but we were taught in driving school to not try and lock up the brakes with the clutch. Four wheels out of control+not being able to turn. And yes, I mean performance driving school.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:15 PM
Enchanter
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tobey1kenobi
Just a stupid little thing, but we were taught in driving school to not try and lock up the brakes with the clutch. Four wheels out of control+not being able to turn. And yes, I mean performance driving school.
Huh?

Old 05-05-2010, 08:22 PM
TheMadDane
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by tobey1kenobi
Having been a racer for many years and having raced cars and motorcycles, I'd like to know how you lock up the brakes with the clutch?

Old 05-05-2010, 09:04 PM
tobey1kenobi
1st Gear
Wow, ok. What i mean is, when you lose control of your vehicle, as in a turn and the tires arent hot enough or for any other reason (maybe your fender got rubbed by another car), you're not supposed to push the brakes to the point of lock-up. And no, you cant lock up brakes with the clutch pedal, i assumed that i was clear enough in my post. I should have stated "along with burying the clutch pedal into the floorboard while thinking holy poop".
Anyway, i race circle track on pavement(never really cared for the dirt ring) and the first thing we were told was never lock up the brakes if you lose control, cause if you're going fast, you cant turn.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:28 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
That's true in non-abs cars

and is a learned skill for sure. With abs, all but professional racers, or really skilled amatures, should push the brake pedal as far down as they can, and let the system work. It prevents lock up, so you can still control the cars direction.

You have to know the underlying technology that is in the car to best use the systems in an emergency. Also, "threshold" braking isn't a skill that very many street drivers have.

Matt

Old 05-05-2010, 09:29 PM
tobey1kenobi
1st Gear
Anyway, i agree with ronnie948. Leave the racing for the track. There is no reason to go out driving like an idiot and endangering others lives because we think we can drive like a rally driver or drift king.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:34 PM
TheMadDane
3rd Gear
Old racers saying... out of control... clutch in, brakes on!

Old 05-05-2010, 09:46 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
I've heard it as:

both feet, all in!

Matt

Old 06-09-2022, 10:31 AM
Enchanter
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bump to an old thread.

I've recently been given a pepper white 2007 MCS and when I tried to join this forum I discovered that I was already a member. Funny!

Now I'm off to the rest of the forum(s) to learn about the car. I already purchased an Ultragauge. What gauges are you guys running? Anyone in the area have NCSExpert? I need a few things done.

What else do I need to know about the car? It has a new clutch and timing chain and guides. What oil change interval is best? I know what Mini recommends, but what are YOU doing?

I appear to have a bit of an air leak around the sunroof. It's pretty loud at freeway speeds.

After a few thousand miles and daily commute on HWY9, I'm going to add a rear swaybar. BR Racing suggests no bigger than 19mm. What is your opinion / feedback?

The following users liked this post:
cmt52663 (06-09-2022)
Old 06-09-2022, 11:43 AM
Harmini_MN
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Enchanter
Bump to an old thread.

I've recently been given a pepper white 2007 MCS and when I tried to join this forum I discovered that I was already a member. Funny!

Now I'm off to the rest of the forum(s) to learn about the car. I already purchased an Ultragauge. What gauges are you guys running? Anyone in the area have NCSExpert? I need a few things done.

What else do I need to know about the car? It has a new clutch and timing chain and guides. What oil change interval is best? I know what Mini recommends, but what are YOU doing?

I appear to have a bit of an air leak around the sunroof. It's pretty loud at freeway speeds.

After a few thousand miles and daily commute on HWY9, I'm going to add a rear swaybar. BR Racing suggests no bigger than 19mm. What is your opinion / feedback?
Maybe you should start a unique thread - as your questions aren't dealing with .... the Mini that crashed.

And welcome back, you with your very own Mini!

Old 06-09-2022, 05:58 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by Enchanter
Bump to an old thread.

To answer two questions. 19 or 22 MM adjustable RSB and change oil and filter every time the last 4 numbers on the clock says 5000 or 0000. The following are the intervals I use religiously for regular service, other opinions may vary.
Brake Fluid every 20K
Coolant every 30K
PVC vent valve every 30K
PS Fluid flush every 30K
Fuel Filter Change every 50K
Plugs every 40K
BG-44K every 6 mo.
Serpentine belt every 40K