New York/New England New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine

long group drives?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 07:47 AM
snid
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How long a drive is good for a group drive? I've only been on one so far (the recent Boston area drive) and I thought it was a little on the short side, but still much fun. Then again, I drove over 200 miles to get to the start point, and another 200+ miles back home. I think the group drive route was less than 50 miles. So, maybe I'm just wierd. Alright, I know I'm wierd.

I found a website from a group of Honda sportbike owners that has 5 different routes mapped out for rides in the NH/VT/ME area, and they're 300-400 miles long each. The URL is available in the North-East Motoring Roads thread. Would other people be crazy enough to do a 300+ mile group drive? Especially if the start point is over 100 miles from most people's homes? If a one day event with a drive of that length is too much, would people be interested in multi-day (weekend) events? One day of motoring or multiple days of motoring?

Just looking for input right now, doesn't matter if you're nowhere near the area. But I am thinking about planning something for the spring once the snow melts.

Old 11-21-2002, 07:50 AM
2minis
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I say we plan a coast to coaster sometime.
Cannonball run anyone???

Old 11-21-2002, 07:59 AM
VerucaSalt
Coordinator :: Mid-Atlantic
The one we are doing Saturday is 67 miles.....and we are doing it not in my home state so I have an additional 150 mile drive to the starting point. 6 of the MINIs that are going are staying in the hotel that the drive starts out from.....
I personally like medium length drives and then being able to stop and take pictures and have lunch or whatever....the one that I planned in early September was 65 miles and then a big picnic at the end and that was really fun. It all depends on the person though I think. :smile:

Old 11-24-2002, 10:45 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VelVet,
I was on the drive too ... and I agree it would be good if we were all together longer. But I don't know about sitting in my car driving for hours and hours - the fun for me is getting to chat with everyone as well as touring in a group.

I would be interested in a group drive to an overnight destination & a good evening gathering - and maybe a drive in convoy back the next day.
Hopefully the destination would be picturesque; maybe in a hilly area with some twisty roads ...

With the short notice of our first drive last weekend, we could not have done much more. As it was, some people could not join in due to prior commitments.

Old 11-24-2002, 10:50 AM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
2mini's
a coast-to-coaster would be a trip....
i'm in.....
& i'm serious

Peace,
D

Old 11-24-2002, 10:54 AM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
>>I say we plan a coast to coaster sometime.
>>Cannonball run anyone???

Been wanting to get back to CA for some time now. I'm in.

Old 11-24-2002, 01:01 PM
Sarcux
6th Gear
I'd do a new Cannonball... I already drive like a madman anyways...