New York/New England New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine

Deck the MINIs Holiday Extravaganza!! December 6th in Cheste

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 07:37 AM
LaughScott
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since so many of our Northern bretheren have come South for previous events, we wanted to make sure you all knew of another festive MINI gathering!

Nothing like advanced planning!!!

Well, we all know how everyone's Holiday schedules get crazy, so put this one in your diaries NOW!!

Joan Logan, Julie Hoffman and Scott Laughlin are your co-hosts for this festive holiday MINI gathering. Chester County, PA is known for putting on some of the best holiday events, and we plan to partake in many during the all-day event! If you like to feel the warmth of the season, and take a step back in time, don't miss all the activities!!!

Details are still in the works, but here's a rough idea of what your MINI Elves (Joan, Julie and I) are cooking up for you!!!

Winterthur Yuletide - Holiday decorations at the famous DuPont Mansion!
A Longwood Gardens Christmas - holiday decorations and night-time light show!
Simon Pearce on the Brandywine - Art Glass shopping for holiday gifts!
Deck your MINI contest - prepare to dress-up your MINI and win prizes!
MINI Polyanna - get creative (with less than $10) and swap your gifts amongst friends!

The plan is to meet at 10:00AM at Winterthur, tour the museum, Motor around Chester County, shop at Simon Pearce, Motor around Chester County, visit those always hopsitable friends at Otto's MINI for our contests, partake in a little light refreshments, then Motor off to Longwood for the holiday night-light shows!!! Longwood closes at 9:00PM, so plan accordingly.

There IS a cost (on a per person basis) for this event, to gain access to the museums, which will be $25.00pp (group rates, MUST be paid in advance!) to gain access to both Winterthur and Longwood, so we will work through the logistics of money collections, etc.

So, start your holiday planning, and register by going to the following:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/phillymini/database

See you all in your holiday finest (Shep & Phyllis, we expect great things from you to match your attire to that lovely Red MC!) and come celebrate to season with your MINI Family!

Cheers.

Scott (Joan and Julie)

If you haven't already joined the PhillyMINI Club, do so while you're there!

Old 09-03-2003, 07:46 AM
tontobird
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The date is Saturday, December 6th, is that right?

Old 09-03-2003, 07:52 AM
LaughScott
2nd Gear
YUP!

All day, Saturday, December 6th!!!

Advance planning!!!

Cheers.

Scott

Old 10-06-2003, 06:28 AM
LaughScott
2nd Gear
Hello Everyone!

PLEASE save this email, and read to the very end when you have time. Details at the end regarding payment, registration, etc.

Well, on a rather wet Saturday this past week-end, your ever-industrious organizers spent a better part of the day mapping out what looks to be another stellar event for all of our MINI Familia! Joan Logan, Charlie Beck, Julie and Ed Hoffman and I had fun mapping out detours around ravaged bridges, and looking for the most scenic runs!!

There are some absolutely beautiful roads out in western Chester County, and we think we've found quite a few that will keep your Motoring hands grinning with anticipation!!! Even found an un-paved road that is only 1-lane wide, and climbs a beautiful hill with vistas for days for the more adventurous in us (and, hopefully, no ice or snow cover in December!).

We continue to fine tune the routing, and the event particulars, but things are firming up nicely. This is truly going to be a wonderful day, and we know that EVERYONE is going to be in the liveliest of Holiday Spirits!!

OK, a few more details since the first posting:

Date:
Saturday, 6 December, 2003
9:30AM Registration

First Event:
10:00AM Sharp - suggest you get there around 9:30AM, as our first scheduled tour will begin promptly at 10:00AM. You will be on private tours of Yuletide at Winterthur - and if you've never been there, the Colonial-era decorations are wonderful!!! Each group can be only 10 people, so we will start-off in waves. In addition, the grounds are also decorated, and there is a lovely train to drive you around!

First Motoring Time:
12:00PM - We've mapped out a lovely 1.5 hour ride along the creeks and fields. We saw much devastation from Isabel and the following storm (including a tree through the window of a first-floor factory)! The roads along the Brandywine Creek are mostly clear, and just beautiful!

Second Event:
1:30PM - Simon Pearce Art Glass Studio - If you are truly into glass, you are in for a special treat. Only once a year, the "real" Simon Pearce comes to this store (from Vermont) to personally sign pieces (and hence, increasing their value) and, SURPRISE, he'll be there the day we're coming!!! It will be crowded, but think of the collectibles you can buy and leave for your grandkids to take to Antique's Roadshow in 2103!

Second Motoring Time:
2:30PM - More country lanes, twisties and creeks!!! Weather permitting, We'll take the more hearty of the group up Hilltop View Road, and see how well our DSC works!!! A wonderful elevated dirt road not for the faint of heart! Don't worry, there's a paved alternative around for those still trying to pamper their babies!

Third Event:
3:30PM - Ottos MINI - plans are still being finalized, but remember to pack all your decorations in your MINI, because we'll be on prime display at Ottos, and you'll have 30 minutes to "Deck your MINI" for all to see!! Get creative, celebrate other holidays (i.e., maybe Kwanza?) and have fun! Food and prizes, plus a Polyanna, what more can you ask for?

Third Motoring Time:
6:00PM - Just a very short jaunt over to Longwood Gardens, but make sure your decorations can withstand the drive!!

Fourth Event:
Christmas at Longwood Gardens - Festive lights, beautiful trees, 3 acres under glass and the smell of pine and poinsiettas fill the air!!

Ending Time:
9:00PM

Further details will be forthcoming. We are still working on getting B&Bs lined up for those coming longer distances.

Please note, we will need to collect payment for the Museums IN ADVANCE, as they must be paid for with 1 single check. The cost is $25pp, which covers admission to Winterthur and Longwood. This represents a 40% reduction from walk-up prices, and includes a "little" extra ($2.00pp) to pay for some of our organizing costs.

Since we will have to pay for these centrally, we are requesting that your ticket fees be made payable to myself (you can trust me!!) and upon receipt of your checks, we will send you brochures and a few other neat items to confirm your payment. Tickets will be distributed at the event!

So, please mail checks to the following:

Scott Laughlin
219 West Gravers Lane
Philadelphia, PA 19118

If you are uncomfortable making your check payable to me, they will take walk-ups (space permitting) but you will not be guaranteed to take the tour with the MINI group.

To register for the Event, please go to the following:

http://www.groups.yahoo.com/phillymini

If you're not a member of Yahoo Groups yet, it's very easy! Join the PhillyMINI group, you'll get a very nice email from Julie Hoffman (aka CooperSQT) and just respond quickly!

One final point!! We took a few photos on Saturday, so check them out at the following:

http://www.clubphoto.com, then put in my email address (laughscott@aol.com) and look for the Deck the MINIs photo album!

Let's get this one up to the scale of the Bucks Rally!!

Cheers.

Scott

Old 10-30-2003, 07:54 AM
LaughScott
2nd Gear
Hello Everyone,

I have just completed conversations with both Winterthur and Longwood, and have further information for you.

Winterthur:

We actually have to "block" time and # of attendees well in advance, as they get many groups for the holidays. As of right now, we have 33 spaces (people) blocked at 10:30AM for the house tour. There are an additional 26 spaces available at 11:00AM, but they could be taken by another group at any time. The earlier we have numbers, the better we can ensure EVERYONE takes the tour together. As I get closer to the 33 number, I will call back and block the additional spaces, if necessary, but the faster I get confirmation, the better.

PLEASE - register in the Database section, so even if the checks take a while to get here, I get a more accurate count of the intended number of people.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/phillymini/database

Or, you can email me directly at laughscott@aol.com if you are not a member of the Yahoo Group! Please advise # of people, and their names, then checks are sent to the address below.

Longwood:

We have no size limitations here!!! One thing they did ask me to advise the crew is that Tri-Pods are not allowed in Longwood, but Mono-Pods are!

Cost Details (again!):

Adults: $25.00/pp
Children (under 6): $12.00/pc
Children: (6-11): $14.00/pc
Children (11-15): $17.00/pc
Children (16-20): $21.00/pc

OK, is this getting complicated, or what?

Also, anyone that is a member of either destination MUST tell me they are coming, so I can add your name to the list. Members of Longwood get free access, members of Winterthur pay a $5.00 tour fee.

Julie (aka CooperSQT), in her infinite creativity, is designing a "Flyer" which will have ALL the details (including driving directions) completed in a few days, and we will post that for downloading in the "FILES" section of the Yahoo group site.

We are up to 18 paid "spaces", and several checks winding their way through the U.S. Post Office, per recent emails and posts!

Looking forward to a fun day!

Scott

Old 11-11-2003, 06:06 AM
LaughScott
2nd Gear
Good Morning Everyone!

Well, we are now at capacity for the Yuletide at Winterthur portion of the Deck the MINIs rally! I called Winterthur yesterday, and there is NO WAY that we can increase our numbers, so....

1) You can still come at 9:30AM, and "hope" that there is a no-show from either another group, or from our group.

2) You can still register for the remainder of the day, and arrive at Winterthur at 11:30AM to join for all the rest of the fun.

The cost for the remainder of the day (Longwood Gardens tickets) is now $12.00/pp. Please continue to to RSVP via the database, and send your checks in for the event. I will have to make the FINAL payment to both Longwood and Winterthur by 28 November!

PS, everyone that provided payments at last night's MINI Monday Diner Drive is confirmed!

Cheers.

Scott