Enabled Satellite (Sirius/XM) Radio! - North American Motoring

Enabled Satellite (Sirius/XM) Radio!

Old 04-27-2017, 06:39 PM
4th Gear

Enabled Satellite (Sirius/XM) Radio!

My car came through with Sirius/XM radio prep, but it wasn't enabled. I bought it while it was still on the high seas so there was no opportunity to order it as an option.

The dealer wanted $590 to enable it.

I bought a cable from here, http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBD2-ENET-Et...5/122087082218 . He sent me some links that are generally available for coding various things, including Sirius/XM.

You also need to buy an "FSC" code. I found someone who was selling them for $120.

I spent about an hour or so in the idling MINI this afternoon, followed the directions, and did it! It was a little nerve wracking, but it turned out great. 'Satellite' now appears as an option!

I got onto the Sirius/XM site and signed up for the one year free trial of All Access. All Access means premium stations (like Howard Stern), and channel streaming on computer or phone. My usual modus operendi, to call XM shortly before the trial ends for a lower price, might be affected by the higher regular price of the All Access, lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to VelvetFoot For This Useful Post:
mouh60 (09-16-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 07:06 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetFoot View Post
My car came through with Sirius/XM radio prep, but it wasn't enabled. I bought it while it was still on the high seas so there was no opportunity to order it as an option.

The dealer wanted $590 to enable it.

I bought a cable from here, http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBD2-ENET-Et...5/122087082218 . He sent me some links that are generally available for coding various things, including Sirius/XM.

You also need to buy an "FSC" code. I found someone who was selling them for $120.

I spent about an hour or so in the idling MINI this afternoon, followed the directions, and did it! It was a little nerve wracking, but it turned out great. 'Satellite' now appears as an option!

I got onto the Sirius/XM site and signed up for the one year free trial of All Access. All Access means premium stations (like Howard Stern), and channel streaming on computer or phone. My usual modus operendi, to call XM shortly before the trial ends for a lower price, might be affected by the higher regular price of the All Access, lol.
Your car had the Prep option, which meant the satellite radio was already installed and all you had to do was to activate it?. I have the prep option which I thought meant that just the wiring for it was there and that I still needed to install the actual radio, which I purchased. Which model car do you have?
Old 04-28-2017, 12:52 PM
4th Gear

2017 f55
Old 04-28-2017, 02:03 PM
3rd Gear

Can you use that cable to code all the other stuff as well?
Old 04-28-2017, 03:34 PM
4th Gear

Yes.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:38 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbedamit View Post
Your car had the Prep option, which meant the satellite radio was already installed and all you had to do was to activate it?. I have the prep option which I thought meant that just the wiring for it was there and that I still needed to install the actual radio, which I purchased. Which model car do you have?
For MINIs, Sat Radio Prep is the same across all models and has been standard for a few years. It means you have all the necessary hardware (you even have a radio with a Sat radio ESN!), but you do not have a code from SiriusXM that enables the hardware. If you ever want to activate it, you would need to purchase to code either through the dealer or through a 3rd party and that code would need to be programmed to the radio. Do this, and sat radio will work just like if you would have ordered it from the factory, including the year of service if it is a new car.

The cable VelvetFoot used is the same cable used for programming via ESYS for all sorts of other cool tweaks.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:12 PM
2nd Gear

I know Bimmer-Tech offers a similar service. It would be nice to save a few dollars though. Where did you obtain a FSC code?
Old 06-28-2017, 01:20 PM
6th Gear

Your dealer can sell you the FSC code, but so can Bimmer-Tech. If you let them know you can program it yourself, they may give you a cheaper price then what they usually offer for sat radio retrofit they would do themselves.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:33 PM
3rd Gear

Bimmer-tech wants $225 for the FSC code and you do the programming yourself. I just was speaking with them today.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:20 PM
Neutral

You'll need to connect your computer and Wi-Fi a PC not a Mac.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:44 PM
2nd Gear

Do i have to go to a MINI dealer or can a BMW dealer also activate the radio?
Old 08-02-2017, 02:38 PM
6th Gear

IME BMW dealers have nothing to do with MINIs

you may find an exception but in general they are sep' product lines with NO crossover
Old 09-05-2017, 09:41 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetFoot View Post

Who did you buy it from?
Old 09-16-2017, 04:44 PM
1st Gear

Tracking
Old 09-16-2017, 08:59 PM
2nd Gear

Kinda off topic but my car has a little sat antenna on the roof and i followed the wire to the back right trunk area.. anyone know what that can be? Is it one of those fm repeater things?

Edit.. looks like when i hit source, it says sirius. Not sure why I didnt see that before.

Last edited by Subw00er; 09-17-2017 at 06:54 PM.