Navigation & Audio Apple CarPlay for 2011-2016 Countryman (R60) with factory nav screen.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2021, 10:54 AM
stiksandstones
3rd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by MReiland
Keep in mind you have to select audio source to Front Aux (on the original system, hold left button by idrive for 2 seconds to flip back and firth) so you shouldn't hear radio at that point, it will then be on Aux which will take sound from the 90 degree cord. You are soo close!
BOOM, just did that....and got the audio from phone....so close indeed.
Thank you!
now the camera nonsense haha...

I've got another issue, once I hit setup in the andream OS, it takes me to a settings area just for connecting phones/bluetooth, and I can NOT get back to main interface!
this all can't be this hard, right??
Video to being stuck in settings menu if anyone cares
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4qy3k4p8um..._1768.MOV?dl=0

Old 12-28-2021, 11:13 AM
stiksandstones
3rd Gear
My current camera test setup-and nothing works in REVERSE or when I go to CAMERA in the menu options-I tried ORIGINAL setting and AFTERMARKET, I get NO SIGNAL on the camera icon menu thing....and of course I won't leave the splices raw like this haha.

RCA from camera cables into andream and red to red.

The back end rca, and red to red

Last edited by stiksandstones; 12-28-2021 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-28-2021, 11:18 AM
stiksandstones
3rd Gear
Something else new in my mess of a car now, when I hit the brake pedal, and upon release, I hear a CLICK or CLUNK in the shifter area? I did not notice this before! any thoughts on this?-I have not screwed ANYTHING back together, so, FYI there.
I should have just bought a preowned car with carplay already in it!

Old 12-28-2021, 12:38 PM
stiksandstones
3rd Gear
Plugged camera into FRONT rca and went to camera setting and I can see camera working, so, it does work, then turned off everything and put into the reverse rca and nothing happens when I put in reverse-and nothing happens if I goto camera icon on Andream menu.
im full of fails!

Old 12-28-2021, 01:26 PM
MReiland
3rd Gear
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by stiksandstones
Something else new in my mess of a car now, when I hit the brake pedal, and upon release, I hear a CLICK or CLUNK in the shifter area? I did not notice this before! any thoughts on this?-I have not screwed ANYTHING back together, so, FYI there.
I should have just bought a preowned car with carplay already in it!
The clunk was probably always there, there is a relay that locks out being able to shift from park until you press the brake, with everything up and not bolted down you are hearing it more than normal. All automatics have it, you just can't always hear it.

Old 12-28-2021, 01:29 PM
MReiland
3rd Gear
Plugged camera into FRONT rca and went to camera setting and I can see camera working, so, it does work, then turned off everything and put into the reverse rca and nothing happens when I put in reverse-and nothing happens if I goto camera icon on Andream menu.
im full of fails!
This is good actually, really close. I had it happen to me too. I turned on and off the different settings in backup. ALSO, the andream takes maybe 5 seconds to boot. If you Turn on the car and immediately go to reverse, it may not be online and you will get either a blank screen or the ultrasound screen. Try turning on the car, wait 30 seconds, just for kicks, then put in reverse

Last edited by MReiland; 01-12-2022 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-28-2021, 01:46 PM
stiksandstones
3rd Gear
The clunk was probably always there, there is a relay that locks out being able to shift from park until you press the brake, with everything up and not bolted down you are hearing it more than normal. All automatics have it, you just can't always hear it.
Ok, I will troubleshoot this later, if its a thing, but, the clunk is pretty loud-I would have noticed that before
https://www.dropbox.com/s/33q8f09h3v..._1771.MOV?dl=0

But, in an effort to stay on point, lets get my damn andream finished! hahahaha.

Old 12-28-2021, 01:50 PM
stiksandstones
3rd Gear
This is good actually, really close. I had it happen to me too. I turned on and off the different settings in backup. ALSO, the andream takes maybe 20 seconds to boot. If you Turn on the car and immediately go to reverse, it may not be online and you will get either a blank screen or the ultrasound screen. Try turning on the car, wait 30 seconds, just for kicks, then put in reverse
Ok, let is run for a minute, then did reverse, still nothing.
there are only one red wire on each towards the andream unit, but further back on the camera wiring, is that little mini 4 pin connector on my camera and a red wire, then a red and a black/red wire, I am connecting the red, should it be the black/red?? (seen in this pic)

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...75ffda961.jpeg

Old 12-28-2021, 02:10 PM
MReiland
3rd Gear
there are only one red wire on each towards the andream unit, but further back on the camera wiring, is that little mini 4 pin connector on my camera and a red wire, then a red and a black/red wire, I am connecting the red, should it be the black/red?? (seen in this pic)

Just the red, because it worked when you plugged it into the front camera and it worked you are good camera power wise.

Old 12-28-2021, 02:33 PM
MReiland
3rd Gear

You got me a little stumped but your unit is slightly different than mine at least from the labeling on the outside. Here is a great post from a more active forum on the BMW guys using these: It is possible that yours has an older firmware possibly with a bug in it for the camera to not work.
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1675929

From your pictures it looked like the CIC B series unit just like mine. Also Andream does respond to tech support on Facebook if you need also. Ill keep thinking of what else it could be but you should be able to plug in the camera to the Rear RCA and make the red to red permanent and assemble the dash at this point, there isn't anything else there to do wiring wise (At this point if the DIP's are right you should see the screen just about the right width, there is a setting to pull in the left or right to help with the curved edges, I noticed alot of people on the Mini configured the Andream for Right Hand Drive which puts the car play menu on the right side of the screen easier to see due to the deep bezel). I'm thinking its a setting. I can try and go through all my menus later to see if there is anything else I did. Make sure the USB is somewhere accessible to due the software update in the future.

Old 12-28-2021, 03:36 PM
stiksandstones
3rd Gear
Regarding screen size-is this as good as it gets?
i switched it to right hand drive

Old 12-28-2021, 03:57 PM
MReiland
3rd Gear
Regarding screen size-is this as good as it gets?
i switched it to right hand drive

This is correct, now you can play with the left and right scrap setting to pull it in a little so less gets cutoff by the round edges if you want.

Old 12-29-2021, 12:36 PM
stiksandstones
3rd Gear
If anyone cares, I finished this insane project lol.
Thanks all for the help.
Still have to put the backup camera in, but, I prewired and tested the camera, will do that another day.

The following 3 users liked this post by stiksandstones:
2014 MC (12-29-2021), CountryJim (01-05-2022), MReiland (12-29-2021)
Old 12-29-2021, 01:00 PM
MReiland
3rd Gear
I think the moral of this story is that this is a pain to do and I wouldn't try it unless you are pretty mechanically inclined, have tools, and at least a day to blow on it. Mounting the camera can be done on a second day once its wired to the head unit and around the glove box which allows you to put everything back together on the dash. Ill post my pictures next for a fairly easy route for the camera wiring.

Old 12-29-2021, 01:33 PM
stiksandstones
3rd Gear
I think the moral of this story is that this is a pain to do and I wouldn't try it unless you are pretty mechanically inclined, have tools, and at least a day to blow on it. Mounting the camera can be done on a second day once its wired to the head unit and around the glove box which allows you to put everything back together on the dash. Ill post my pictures next for a fairly easy route for the camera wiring.
Amen to that!
I thought I was mechanically inclined, but this process eroded any faith I had in my 35 years of working on 'stuff' and owning all the tools needed, my life of work in product development, testing and R&D was no match for this haha, I guess all I can say is a big no thanks to the engineers who built the dashboard hahahaha.

Old 01-04-2022, 11:10 PM
mefuzion
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good morning guys and happy new year.

countryman R60 CIC 2012 owner, and i got this thing... it arrived today and o boy is this a nightmare or what. I consider myself excellent in electronics/pc/car stuff but this thing here scares me.

It is "Road Top" brand but its the same device as what you guys have posted.

Old 01-04-2022, 11:37 PM
navwizard
2nd Gear
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Oooo, instructions!
How rare! 😂

Yeah, the electronics are all made by the same company, just the firmware is different.

Old 01-05-2022, 12:07 AM
mefuzion
Neutral
yeah this guy is cool, talks to whatsapp also, guess what he also sent me instructions for mini specific:

Old 01-05-2022, 06:02 AM
MReiland
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mefuzion
yeah this guy is cool, talks to whatsapp also, guess what he also sent me instructions for mini specific:

Wow, couple of my gotchas are already in the instructions. If you run into trouble post up here and we will try and help. Misery loves company :>

The following users liked this post:
mefuzion (01-05-2022)
Old 01-05-2022, 05:47 PM
amancuso
5th Gear
Any links to a camera you guys recommend and how did you install it?

Old 01-05-2022, 06:33 PM
MReiland
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by amancuso
Any links to a camera you guys recommend and how did you install it?
Here's my setup, it took a little while to find this route but now that I found it, it was pretty simple to install. (Much easier than the Car Play unit!)
COOLINT BACKUP CAMERA:
Amazon Amazon

Step one for the camera wiring is to run it with the harness behind the glovebox while it is all apart and down the A-Pillar. You will have to remove the trim from the passenger footwell and run towards the back of car

Fish the wire behind the B Pillar and lay into the trough exposed by pulling up the weather strip. Pass the wire to the trunk area up high (mid shoulder level there is a clear route to the vent in the back)

Pop out the rear vent access and fish the camera wire to this point

Pop off the piece of trim across the back of the trunk to expose a nice place to pop the wire through to the bottom of the car. I chose to use an access hole next to the Center latch anchor. It will require about 1/4" hole to be drilled through in order to clear the little 4 pin cable off the camera.

Initially I was getting an external interference alarm for the TPS (Tire Pressure) system. I pulled the wire over a little bit which was probably enough but then stuck a piece of foil tape over it and never had the problem again.

I mounted the camera right above the plate. I centered it here but it would be easier to get the backing screw on if it was biased over one side or the other. (You pop out the license plate light to get your hand in there) the wire comes up over the crash bar and then into the hole you drilled in the trunk.

Old 01-09-2022, 12:06 PM
stiksandstones
3rd Gear
I have the same camera @MReiland posted and I finally completed the whole job yesterday.
I will never tell a friend or family member "yeah, I am pretty good at fixing/working on stuff" hahahaha, this job made me feel like a moron.

But, through this community, I am DONE and everything works great.

I guess my only critique is the SIRI activation, if I long press steering wheel voice activation SIRI comes alive and works, but also the MINI voice does, same goes if I quick click, double click, no matter what-wish I could turn off the MINI voice activation.....but-thats the last of my worries. Awesome upgrade-once you're done.

Old 05-14-2022, 11:39 AM
jcharley
Neutral
Getting Backup Camera to work

Hello, first off let me say thank you so much for all the information in this thread. Thanks to you all, I was able to install my Andream system with only a few minor hiccups. I am however still having an issue with the backup camera. I tested the camera in front mode after wiring and it does work. I just can't get it to work when hooked up to rear.
I have a 2013 Mini Cooper Countryman. Its a manual and does not have back up sensors. I have the settings on aftermarket camera.

Old 05-14-2022, 01:46 PM
MReiland
3rd Gear
If it works on 'Front' RCA input than it is wired right. There are I believe 4 settings in the camera menu, I believe the last one has to be off which won't show the backup camera until 12v shows up on the backup sense wire. If you are plugged into the can bus of the car like normal, it will automatically tell the Andream that it is in reverse. Ill try and get an exact picture but it may already be up in the thread. Essentially if you turn everything to on, it will try and show the backup sensors, backup lines, AND it will wait for the backup sense wire to go on before showing the camera.

Old 05-14-2022, 02:14 PM
jcharley
Neutral
If it works on 'Front' RCA input than it is wired right. There are I believe 4 settings in the camera menu, I believe the last one has to be off which won't show the backup camera until 12v shows up on the backup sense wire. If you are plugged into the can bus of the car like normal, it will automatically tell the Andream that it is in reverse. Ill try and get an exact picture but it may already be up in the thread. Essentially if you turn everything to on, it will try and show the backup sensors, backup lines, AND it will wait for the backup sense wire to go on before showing the camera.
Thank you! I'll check it out when I get home. Btw! Your posts on this forum specifically are what made my install go so smooth. I really appreciate all of your input!

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Apple CarPlay for 2011-2016 Countryman (R60) with factory nav screen.