Navigation & Audio Finally satisfied w/ my stereo install (Bavsound speakers/subs + JBL 2-channel amp)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 08:30 AM
snwmble
3rd Gear
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Thumbs up Finally satisfied w/ my stereo install (Bavsound speakers/subs + JBL 2-channel amp)

I started with a non-HK system that sounded horrid when I bought it. Coming from an Audi w/ Bose, it was a huge step down as far as audio experience....and knew I needed to upgrade.

I initially purchased all 4 Bavsound speakers + 2 ghost subs underneath both front seats. After install, I had mixed feelings about the upgrade. It did sound better, but not enough to justify the $800 price tag of replacing them. Over the last several months, I knew I needed to add more power (at least to the subwoofers) which were severely underpowered with the stock headunit.

Since I had already spent more than I wanted to on the speakers, my budget was thin for an amp....and I also wanted to simplify the install. I decided I was going to order a 2-channel amp to power just the ghost Bavsound subwoofers. I contacted Bavsound and they recommended no more than 50W RMS per channel @ 4ohms. I ordered a cheap JBL amp below for $55 + wiring kit......installed it over the weekend and FINALLY, the sound is MUCH better with the subs amplified. I mean it doesn't have that deep rich bass hit that my old Bose system did, but def brings to life the full potential of these subs.

For those looking for an overall (under $1K) system that is far better than the stock system, this might be a route for you.

As far as amplifier placement, there was room under the carpet of the front passenger seat (next to the ghost subwoofer) where this amp fit in perfectly and completely hidden. I made some relief cuts in the carpet to allow me to access the open space better. I then used some double-stick Velcro to keep it in place so it didn't move around.

by https://www.flickr.com/photos/157716149@N03/, on Flickr

Last edited by snwmble; 09-17-2018 at 08:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Minnie.the.Moocher (09-17-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 10:16 AM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Nice!!

I have the Stage One speakers from Bavsound and currently considering the underseats woofers from Bavsound but was sceptical as to power from the stock basic unit... Your solution is the route I am heading!

quick question: how did you get signal input for the amplifier? Speaker line from the woofer and converter?

Thanks