Navigation & Audio Is it possible to mirror iPhone display to mini connected?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 06:48 PM
speck47
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flyer53
ZaliZoe, thanks for the link and vote of confidence that this does work...
And yes...whether it's Italy or the US...almost 2 weeks wait time. But well worth it.... Thanks again from your American motoring friend
Hey Flyer,

I appologize if you've answered this already, but I'm thinking of getting the Prochip and have a few questions.
Does it mirror anything on your iphone without the iPhone being jail broken?
Would it work with any version of IOS?
Can you use the Apple Nav app with it?
How do you switch back and forth between regular mini connected and mirroring?
When its connected, can you still control the iPhone from the iPhone home screen?
Easy to install?

Sorry for so many questions, but since their website isn't in English it's tough to figure out what they're selling.

Thanks!

Old 06-21-2013, 07:38 AM
arechy
Neutral
I have done everything thats been explained here thanks so much for the tips, I was able to mirror my iphone to the mini screen, I just have a trouble with the video it shows only in red scales, I dont think its a problem of the Y cable since everything else works just fine, the video is the only one that looks like that and at the beginning for 1 sec it shows normal colors but then goes all red. Any thoughts of what could it be? Also great tip about adjusting the resolution on display out while the plugin is loading, that seems the only way to get the iphone to mirror.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:57 AM
deepcscuba
1st Gear
Thank you posters for the tips, I also was able to mirror the iphone display without problems. I can stream videos and live tv, use the nav system i choose, and even put live weather radar on the screen. Pretty cool. No modifications to the mini needed, just an old iphone we could use to jailbreak, and a couple of Cydia apps, and that's it. To kickon the display, I have found that just turning DisplayOut off and then back on does the trick every time. The only remaining issue I have is just a small annoyance. When I start the plugin, a song starts playing on the iPhone. It is not a big deal to shut it off, but just an extra step I have to take. Anyone else with this issue?

Old 12-18-2013, 10:15 AM
TXNemo
1st Gear
Originally Posted by arechy
I have done everything thats been explained here thanks so much for the tips, I was able to mirror my iphone to the mini screen, I just have a trouble with the video it shows only in red scales, I dont think its a problem of the Y cable since everything else works just fine, the video is the only one that looks like that and at the beginning for 1 sec it shows normal colors but then goes all red. Any thoughts of what could it be? Also great tip about adjusting the resolution on display out while the plugin is loading, that seems the only way to get the iphone to mirror.
Mine is making the videos red too? Did you ever figure out how to fix this?
Everything else mirrors fine. I just bought a 2014 Cooper S Convertible with MINI Connected and picked up an iphone 4S that is jail broken. Followed all the other directions but am getting the red video issue.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 12-23-2013, 07:16 AM
TXNemo
1st Gear
IOS 7 Jail Break is out.

IOS7 Jailbreak is out. Not shure I want to update my Iphone 4S yet as it is working well with the old IOS 6 Jailbroken.

Let us know if any of you update to IOS7 and jailbreak and get things like video to work while on the move. (Display out)

My Red Screen issue with video only happens sometimes. If I press the arrows to increase the screen size to fill the screen on the video player it turns the video red.

Good luck Jail breakers!
Mike

Old 12-23-2013, 10:02 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TXNemo
IOS7 Jailbreak is out. Not shure I want to update my Iphone 4S yet as it is working well with the old IOS 6 Jailbroken.

Let us know if any of you update to IOS7 and jailbreak and get things like video to work while on the move. (Display out)

My Red Screen issue with video only happens sometimes. If I press the arrows to increase the screen size to fill the screen on the video player it turns the video red.

Good luck Jail breakers!
Mike
As has been pointed out many times and on all of the threads about iPhone connectivity with the MINI... Jailbreaking an iPhone5 (or newer) will not get video out.

The issue isn't software it's hardware. Unlike the old 30pin connector, the Lightning connection doesn't have a pinout that can carry video. You can jailbreak all you want - the connector doesn't support video...

The only way to get video out of an iPhone5 is to use AirPlay, and the video adapters for all the Lightning enabled devices all have an AirPlay chip embedded in the adapters.

If you want video out in your MINI with a Lightning enabled device one of two things need to happen...

Either somebody builds a Y cable with an airplay chip embedded in it that ports the video to USB and the audio into the audio connector to replace the MINI Y cable.

Or somebody builds an AirPlay adapter that ports from Lightning to 30 Pin...

Old 12-30-2013, 02:04 PM
dharvey1221
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you guys seen this? Supposedly this box from kivic one creates a hotspot in your car. It takes over your video feed and because your on a network in the car you can airplay your video to the screen. Its 250.00, not cheap but if it works almost priceless because you wouldn't have to worry about jailbreaking or updates. Im also curious if iOS7.1 includes iOS in the car would this trigger that software to the display.

Here is the link. Its a oversee's neat videos but I haven't pulled the trigger.
http://kivic-one.com/eng/home.html

Old 12-30-2013, 02:09 PM
pidge1114
Banned
Originally Posted by dharvey1221
Have you guys seen this? Supposedly this box from kivic one creates a hotspot in your car. It takes over your video feed and because your on a network in the car you can airplay your video to the screen. Its 250.00, not cheap but if it works almost priceless because you wouldn't have to worry about jailbreaking or updates. Im also curious if iOS7.1 includes iOS in the car would this trigger that software to the display.

Here is the link. Its a oversee's neat videos but I haven't pulled the trigger.
http://kivic-one.com/eng/home.html
I asked the guy selling them on Facebook, and while the unit itself costs 250, you need the proper initial connection to make it work, which the Mini doesnt have. He made it work with a Mini AFTER installing an RCA-type AV aux input or HDMI input device, which can cost upwards of another $750.

Read here, you'll see my inquiries about the Mini:

https://www.facebook.com/kivicone

Old 12-30-2013, 02:40 PM
fatihv
1st Gear
is it possible without jailbraking?

Old 01-22-2014, 07:36 PM
SHKnapp
Neutral
The lightning connector does support video out, that's how these work...
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...apter?fnode=3a
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...apter?fnode=3a

had anyone tried any of these new cables popping up on ebay? They seem to support some kind of data out to display song info, but I don't know if they support video out:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Adapte...-/131100146229
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-MINI-iPO...6574#vi-ilComp

Old 01-25-2014, 06:31 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Actually - not quite... Those adapters have been dissected and actually have an AirPlay chip of some sort embedded in them. That's how the video is extracted from the device. Neither of those adapters will work with a MINI. https://www.panic.com/blog/the-light...pter-surprise/

The Lightning to 30 pin adapters don't have the AirPlay chip and don't support the video... The pin out for the Lightning connector doesn't include a pin for video...

Old 01-25-2014, 07:07 AM
pidge1114
Banned
So theoretically couldn't you use the lightning to hdmi adapter paired with hdmi to USB adapter to connect to the mini? I find it amazing that it is this hard to output video without using airplay.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:23 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pidge1114
So theoretically couldn't you use the lightning to hdmi adapter paired with hdmi to USB adapter to connect to the mini? I find it amazing that it is this hard to output video without using airplay.
Potentially such a Frankenstein solution might work - but it's unknown if the other control signals that the MINI uses to control the iPod would be passed along as well...

And why is it so amazing? If you knew or understood just why Apple shifted from the 30Pin to the Lightning connection you wouldn't find it so amazing. The move had nothing to do with functionality...

Old 01-25-2014, 09:42 AM
pidge1114
Banned
Originally Posted by mbabischkin
Potentially such a Frankenstein solution might work - but it's unknown if the other control signals that the MINI uses to control the iPod would be passed along as well...

And why is it so amazing? If you knew or understood just why Apple shifted from the 30Pin to the Lightning connection you wouldn't find it so amazing. The move had nothing to do with functionality...
Don't misunderstand me, I get WHY it doesn't work, just more surprised no one has figured out a feasible workaround by now.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:18 PM
wkearney99
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by pidge1114
Don't misunderstand me, I get WHY it doesn't work, just more surprised no one has figured out a feasible workaround by now.
Mainly because apple makes it exceedingly difficult for people to do anything beyond the limited scope the company envisions for the product. Essentially, 'we know best and we'll take steps to block you from trying otherwise'. No thanks.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:49 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by wkearney99
Mainly because apple makes it exceedingly difficult for people to do anything beyond the limited scope the company envisions for the product. Essentially, 'we know best and we'll take steps to block you from trying otherwise'. No thanks.
Actually Lightning was all about money... Apple didn't like the market for cables that they hadn't licensed... The only cables that you can be certain will work are the ones that Apple sells or has certified...

If it was simply a matter of wanting a smaller connector Apple could have embraced mini-USB or micro-USB - both of which were existing standards that would have allowed the existing functionality to stay - plus it would have allowed Apple to comply with EU regulations that require mini-USB or micro-USB compatibility, something that Apple does only with an adapter.

Instead Apple went with the proprietary Lightning standard - that includes a chip in the connector that determines if the adapter will work. That chip is only available to third party manufacturers from Apple. To further control the third party market, Apple only made the connector spec and the chip available to third party manufacturers two months AFTER the iPhone5 was released.

Lightning's implementation was about money, nothing more, nothing less...

Old 01-25-2014, 06:47 PM
TXNemo
1st Gear
I upgraded my iphone 4s to IOS7.04. Then I jail broke it. I bought the DisplayOut app and now it does NOT work! It was working before this with an older IOS on my iPhone 4s.

I can't get it to send video. Well actually it flashes/mirrors the screen for half a second and then flips back to the plugin screens interface.

Any ideas how to get it to stay on the mirror from Display out?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 02-05-2014, 10:25 AM
Nert
Neutral
Hi TXNemo,

I'm in the same boat. I am waiting to see if the Resupported4.0+ cydia package will fix the problem (Resuppored4.0+ hasn't been updated yet for ios7). I guess maybe an update to Displayout may address the problem.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:25 AM
fatihv
1st Gear
Hi again,

I have iPod Touch 4g iOs 6.1.5 and jail broken and displayout installed. I have the original MINI Y cable media support version.

I have managed to mirror the screen to my 2013 Cooper S with MINI Connected Plug-in. I had mirrored the nav app, youtube, all of them.

But it is not working strongly proper. Sometimes there is no display on MINI's screen mirrored. I can't understand. You need to reinstall displayout so many times, you need to disconnect and restart MINI Connected Plug-in interface.

And now, it does not work. I tried all off things but no display mirrored. Will try all things from the beginning. first of all, re-jailbreak İpod Touch 4g, then reinstall Displayout.

But I guess, DisplayOut app need some updates, it is a bit weak.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:48 PM
g35mt
2nd Gear
here is mine with iPhone 4, iOs 7 and 2012 jcw with connected and nav package...connecting using the usb and aux port.

Attached Thumbnails Is it possible to mirror iPhone display to mini connected?-mini-connected.jpg  
Old 02-06-2014, 02:10 PM
TXNemo
1st Gear
Success!! I used the method below and went into ifile and renamed the iPodOut.app. Now the mirror function is working for my iPhone 4s with ios7.04 jailbroke and displayout app. This is through MINI connected. of course the old interface no longer shows up.

Thanks all. I hope this works for others too.

As a side note. I have restored my phone 3 times! make sure not to use any cracked apps or even add those questionable repos as this may disable the built in iphone mail, weather and safari apps on your iphone.

Originally Posted by wickywack
I managed to get mirroring to work with DisplayOut 1.6.9, IOS 6.1.1, and an iPhone 4S.

Beyond Jailbreaking and installing DisplayOut, I had to do one other step to get it to work. When the iPhone is connected to the Mini, a hidden app called iPodOut.app is triggered. This app seems to take control of the TV-out and interfere with DisplayOut. By renaming it and rebooting, it's no longer launched when connected. Instead, DisplayOut mirroring works. :-)

To rename, I:

(1) Installed iFile from Cydia.
(2) Started iFile and navigated to /Applications
(3) Found iPodOut.app and clicked on the blue arrow to the right.
(4) The top line should read "Name iPodOut.app". Click on this and rename to "iPodOut.app$".
(5) Reboot.

Next time I connected to the Mini with DisplayOut enabled, my screen mirrored properly on the Mini Display. Note, the iPadOut.app is the one that shows the nice Apple TV like interface of your playlists, etc. That no longer works since I renamed it, but it was interfering with everything else.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:01 PM
Nert
Neutral
Iphone 4s Jailbroken IOS7. Renamed ipodout.app to ipodout.app$
I am using SBrotator7 and Displayout.

Occasionally, on first start-up, I have to toggle Off then toggle back on Displayout in order to get it to work.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:15 PM
TXNemo
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Nert
Iphone 4s Jailbroken IOS7. Renamed ipodout.app to ipodout.app$
I am using SBrotator7 and Displayout.

Occasionally, on first start-up, I have to toggle Off then toggle back on Displayout in order to get it to work.

I have to toggle displayout resolution at startup to get it to display too. I wish it was more automatic. Oh well. At least it works consistently again!

Old 02-08-2014, 03:51 AM
fatihv
1st Gear
Mine is working too again. IpodTouch 4g iOS 6.1.5 jailbroken and DisplayOut.

Firstly, it cannot mirror but when I change DisplayOut's resolution, it starts to mirror.
Cool.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:13 AM
yetilicious
1st Gear
Fatihv, which resolution setting did you find that works? I just get a momentary black screen then the iPod fires up.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Is it possible to mirror iPhone display to mini connected?