Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio iPod to NAV screen

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 12:30 AM
motonikki812
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPod to NAV screen

What is the cheapest, easiest, least amount of equipment way, to JUST get your video Ipod to play videos on the stock NAV screen????

I know it can be done, but seems it could be so much more simple, I dont need any DVD players, PS2, XM, nothing. I just want what is playing on my 3" Ipod screen to be moved over to the left about 2 inches and play on the Stock NAVs 7 inch screen.

Please help.

Thanks, Jasun

Old 02-23-2007, 12:39 AM
motonikki812
4th Gear
WTH

Why did this post 5 times?????

I dont know, but I am sorry

Old 02-23-2007, 12:43 AM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
I used the Road Show by Xtreme Mac... but I have an after market NAV... so it was easy to access... I belive this will work with the factory... but may require something to go with it... like a switch box or something if it doesn't already have an AUX in...

http://www.xtrememac.com/

Road Show iPOD to AV for cars

Old 02-23-2007, 03:50 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by motonikki812
What is the cheapest, easiest, least amount of equipment way, to JUST get your video Ipod to play videos on the stock NAV screen????

I know it can be done, but seems it could be so much more simple, I dont need any DVD players, PS2, XM, nothing. I just want what is playing on my 3" Ipod screen to be moved over to the left about 2 inches and play on the Stock NAVs 7 inch screen.

Please help.

Thanks, Jasun
Yes, we have an item specifically for this.

While this is not in a MINI, here's the Dietz in action on a BMW X5 along with the iLink system:

Items needed:

Dietz Video Multimedia Interface - 1265
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=338

iLink-L2 Multimedia Interface for iPod
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=264

This will allow the system to display videos from your iPod, as well as music and slideshows. What’s really great about the device is that it will allow you to play the following formats:

• AVI
• MPEG
• DivX
• DVD *.vob files

A video iPod isn’t even necessary! The kit will include a wireless mini-remote so the entire system can be hidden from view, allowing a stock appearance for a stealth look.

Let me know if you have any further questions on the system, I’d be glad to help.

Old 02-23-2007, 04:35 PM
kenru
1st Gear
Old 02-23-2007, 11:18 PM
motonikki812
4th Gear
Wow....

So seriously I am not going to be able to do this for less than about $600.00 or more!!!!

I have not seen the back of the Nav screen or head unit... or payed much attention to the NAV unit under the seat for that matter... I wish there was just some sort of RCA video input like a TV. I have the cable for an ipod to plug into a TV to play video and pictures. Why cant it be that easy???

Maybe I'll just watch the little ipod screen for a while...

For $600.00, I think at this point I would much rather have a swaybar, 3% crank pulley and OBX header!

Go before show.

I appreciate the feedback though... Keep the advice coming. If there is an easier less expensive way, do tell.

Thanks, Jasun

Old 05-23-2007, 12:05 PM
micheald2000
Neutral
Check this one out.

http://www.gnetcanada.com/navvideo-m...=Mini%20Cooper

I am thinking about getting this one. It is $299 and gives you a video imput. You will still need to get a video out cable/dock for your Ipod, but you can get those even at Wal-Mart

Old 05-25-2007, 01:28 AM
motonikki812
4th Gear
Dude, This is sweet! I knew someone would eventually come through. I want this!

So, my ipod is connected to my audio system with a cable kit I bought from a car stereo shop. It basically has the flat plug that plugs into the bottom of the ipod and then runs to the rear of the car where it has a small little inline black box with a plug that connects to where the CD changer would normally be in the rear of the car. So that gives me the sound from the ipod....

So, now do you think that there is simply just a cord (that I would have to purchase seperate) that plugs into the top of the ipod where the headphones would normally go, then just runs to this module with a yellow RCA plug for the video?

So there would be a cord coming from the top and the bottom of the ipod and I am good to go???

Also, do you think the ipod menus and disply would be showing on the NAV screen, say when you are just using the ipod for music?

One more thing... My NAV is the older CD based version, not the newer DVD based version. Do you think this matters? The description of the module says it is compatiable for 02-06. So I would think it would be fine.

These questions are directed to anyone... Where are the mobile AV pros in our community???

Thanks for the heads up on this! If this works like I am trying to describe here... This is right up my alley! I am ordering one tomorrow!

Jasun

Old 05-25-2007, 01:30 AM
motonikki812
4th Gear
Dude, This is sweet! I knew someone would eventually come through. I want this!

So, my ipod is connected to my audio system with a cable kit I bought from a car stereo shop. It basically has the flat plug that plugs into the bottom of the ipod and then runs to the rear of the car where it has a small little inline black box with a plug that connects to where the CD changer would normally be in the rear of the car. So that gives me the sound from the ipod....

So, now do you think that there is simply just a cord (that I would have to purchase seperate) that plugs into the top of the ipod where the headphones would normally go, then just runs to this module with a yellow RCA plug for the video?

So there would be a cord coming from the top and the bottom of the ipod and I am good to go???

Also, do you think the ipod menus and disply would be showing on the NAV screen, say when you are just using the ipod for music?

One more thing... My NAV is the older CD based version, not the newer DVD based version. Do you think this matters? The description of the module says it is compatiable for 02-06. So I would think it would be fine.

These questions are directed to anyone... Where are the mobile AV pros in our community???

Thanks for the heads up on this! If this works like I am trying to describe here... This is right up my alley! I am ordering one tomorrow!

Jasun