Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Mini Navigation System

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2003, 08:01 PM
jivanivan
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone own one? would it be better to buy a Pioneer navi system?
how is the navi that comes with the Mini?

Thanks

Old 04-19-2003, 08:04 PM
caddman
Banned
both made by same company, but newer navs by alpine and several others are dvd based, so one dvd does whole country, whereas the nav in the mini is the old cd based so you have to buy 7 different cds to get whole country, at 150$ per cd

Old 04-19-2003, 09:19 PM
jerrygee
4th Gear
The Navigation system in all MC’s made with a production date of March 2003 and later have the new DVD based system. One DVD disk is all you need for the whole US and Canada. My MCS had a production date of March 11 and it is equipped with the new DVD based system. I like it. Very fast refresh time with loads of information including altitude. The only two things I don’t care for is the OBC does not display the outside air temperature when in the Nav mode and there is no engine coolant temperature gauge, only an idiot light.

Old 04-19-2003, 09:50 PM
fms
5th Gear
The temp idiot light is one of the reasons I didn't opt for the nav system. I can't stand to be w/out feedback on my engine's running temp. I've put aftermarket temp guages on cars if they didn't come with them, which I suppose one could do w/ the MINI. I figure instead that I can always get an aftermarket Nav system if I ever feel the need for one, but I must say, it would be cool to just enter an address and have MINI talk me right to the door, especially if it was in a female British voice :smile:

Old 04-19-2003, 10:14 PM
fms
5th Gear
The temp idiot light is one of the reasons I didn't opt for the nav system. I can't stand to be w/out feedback on my engine's running temp. I've put aftermarket temp guages on cars if they didn't come with them, which I suppose one could do w/ the MINI. I figure instead that I can always get an aftermarket Nav system if I ever feel the need for one, but I must say, it would be cool to just enter an address and have MINI talk me right to the door, especially if it was in a female British voice :smile:

Old 04-20-2003, 01:44 AM
jivanivan
4th Gear
Thanks! This is my first time using this board. Does anyone here have an Alpine or Pioneer navigation system installed? pictures please thanks alot

Old 04-20-2003, 10:03 AM
Sugeray
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
>>The temp idiot light is one of the reasons I didn't opt for the nav system. I can't stand to be w/out feedback on my engine's running temp. I've put aftermarket temp guages on cars if they didn't come with them, which I suppose one could do w/ the MINI. I figure instead that I can always get an aftermarket Nav system if I ever feel the need for one, but I must say, it would be cool to just enter an address and have MINI talk me right to the door, especially if it was in a female British voice :smile:

My Navi System's female voice does not have the British accent, I was very disapointed when I didn't hear it! Where can I get the old disc with the original accent? :???:

Old 04-20-2003, 01:43 PM
jerrygee
4th Gear
>>The temp idiot light is one of the reasons I didn't opt for the nav system. I can't stand to be w/out feedback on my engine's running temp. I've put aftermarket temp guages on cars if they didn't come with them, which I suppose one could do w/ the MINI. I figure instead that I can always get an aftermarket Nav system if I ever feel the need for one, but I must say, it would be cool to just enter an address and have MINI talk me right to the door, especially if it was in a female British voice :smile:

As I said I don’t like not having a coolant temp gauge either, but I felt that if the manufacturer was going to stand behind the car for 4 years or 50,000 miles why should I care as I don’t plan on ever keeping any car past the warranty period. There are just too many neat cars out there and who knows what MINI might have to offer in a few more years. 250+hp or all wheel drive maybe? All that being said, the SAT/NAV is a worth while option IMHO.

Old 04-21-2003, 10:21 AM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>My Navi System's female voice does not have the British accent, I was very disapointed when I didn't hear it! Where can I get the old disc with the original accent?

Old 04-21-2003, 10:24 AM
sambusik
6th Gear
damn, the nav is dvd based now? I have a 2002 with Nav, and it's CD based. at least I have the british female accent

Old 04-21-2003, 10:52 AM
bbmykal
4th Gear
>>damn, the nav is dvd based now? I have a 2002 with Nav, and it's CD based. at least I have the british female accent

My thoughts exactly! DAMN that voice is FINE!

Old 04-21-2003, 02:23 PM
sambusik
6th Gear
^^ yeah, I would be pissed if my car went into service and came back with some dude's voice on my nav!

Old 04-21-2003, 02:36 PM
RCristiano
5th Gear
Interesting - I would never trust a woman to navigate for me, but I will only accept a female navigator voice on a GPS system. Does that seem counter-intuitive to anyone else?

I know Davbret is going to accuse me of being mysogynist so I'll apologize in advance

Do any aftermarket DVD nav systems come with a British accent? I think Alpine has like 7 available voices or something like that, but does anyone have experience with them?