Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Newbie!! Should I get HK option or go aftermarket??

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 09:57 AM
Birdman
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Newbie!! Should I get HK option or go aftermarket??

Howdy folks,
I'm a mini Newbie, about to order a MCS with Navigation in it. I can't decide whether to order the HK upgrade, or just go with an aftermarket system.

I'm not a huge audiophile type, but would classify myself in the mid to high audio range. I currently have a big gas guzzling F150 truck, with an aftermarket Alpine system in it, alogn with 2 powered subwoofers. I love the heavy bass, but I don't always use it (read: crank it up..). I love reggea music, so heavy bass is a must. But I don't mean qty 2, 12" 1000 watt'ers, I just mean a little extra bass from a sub like the Claraion 100 watt powered under the seat deals.

So, my thought is, get the HK system, and add the Clarion powered sub under one of the seats in the "secret" compartment under there (remove the foam..) that I have seen a few people do on this site. Does that make sense? Will I get a good sounding system with a little extra bang, without any intrusive boxes, amps.... mounted anywhere?

What do you guys think?

Old 05-24-2006, 10:41 AM
aDeLoreanGuy
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are plenty of posts regarding the HK system here. Best to do a search.

However, the main bit of advise that everyone seems to say (including myself) is to go to a dealer and listen to it yourself. Don't forget to bring your own CDs to test it with music you actually listen to. If it meets your needs, go for it!

Old 05-24-2006, 10:47 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Be sure to listen to it while driving the car. Big difference. FWIW, I've always "complained" about the HK having too much emphasis on Bass. Of course I usually listed to music while in the "electronic" listening mode. Be sure to test out each of the listening modes as they do quite different things with the music.

Old 05-24-2006, 10:56 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
I would order it again...

Old 05-24-2006, 11:03 AM
barbaloot
1st Gear
I have the H/K and I would order it again. But also if I had the money I would also think about getting the Digital Power Sound Module.

But I am also one of those people that only like OEM looking headunits.

Old 05-24-2006, 11:08 AM
Merkursport
4th Gear
Yes. For the $550 it's really, really good. The uninitiated or those who fail to adjust their equipment often complain about the "muddy bass" so both you (and me) will be happy with it (I like bass.) It's not the loudest system, but it features adjustments and imaging options that do a good job tweaking the sound to your individual ears. Do a search and you will have a plethora of opinions from which to choose

Old 05-24-2006, 11:10 AM
RHM
2nd Gear
Aftermarket is probably more expensive than HK, but can be better quality. The other big issue is that of how it looks- if you want to preserve a stock looking interior, HK is the way to go- if you don't care if it looks different or has different colored illumination, then you could go aftermarket. Aftermarket may give you the best options for connecting an IPod, if that is important to you. But the previous advice is still important- listen to it and see if it meets your needs.

Old 05-24-2006, 11:17 AM
shaun5
2nd Gear
I am an audiophile. I have the H/K and would order it again. The H/K 'driver' setting for time alignment really does setup a nice soundstage for the DRIVER....

Old 05-24-2006, 11:23 AM
shankrabbit
6th Gear
Here's another thing to consider:

If you plan on doing any modications to your sound system other then adding an aftermarket sub (which I did on the H/K... click on link in sig to see), then don't bother wasting your money on the H/K.

However, if you love the stock look, and have an appreciation for crisp sound (as I do), then the H/K is an awesome system to have.

But with everything, your ears may not be like my ears. So give it a test drive and see if you like it.

Old 05-24-2006, 12:50 PM
Birdman
6th Gear
Thanks for al the fast replies!!

Already listened to it, with my own Bob Marley CD's. But it's hard to base a decision on a 2 or 3 minute test if you know what I mean.

I just can't believe they haven't integrated the audio system into the navigation system for MP3.... ?? And Bluetooth for that matter....

Ok, going to order the HK. Thanks.