Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio To Cut or Not to Cut? AMP location.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 11:29 AM
MINIACK
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay here's the sitch.

I have bought a JBL 4 way amp and have beeen strugeling with the placement. The dimentions are 9x13x2.5

I have thought about putting it in the cubby where the tool set goes (I have a MC). But to do this I need to take out the speare tire. No big deal to me, but it is for my wife.

It won't fit in the side cubbies. I thought of just attaching velcro to the bottom and setting it in the boot, then building a carpeted box to set over it. This would allow me to remove it if I need the space, but no tunes during the trip. I would also have to run lots of speaker wire back to the front.

I thought of mounting it to the back of one of the back seats. But then I would have to do something about the wires so I could still lay the seat down if needed.

When routing the 4 guage wire from the bonnet to the boot. I took out the passenger seat and the spacer for the NAV system (that I don't have). The AMP fits! I even replaced the seat temproarily to check seat travel. It will pinch your toes if you are in the back. . But it is do-able.

Another (kind of stupid) idea I had was to wire it up to the bottom of the passenger seat. This could give you a real hot seat

After all that... Should I cut the carpet under the seat to reveil the amp and allow a little more foot room and cooling? Or should I leave the limited space and be able to restore the car if needed? One other thing about "under the seat" option is that, if I need to adjust the amp I need to take out the seat. (easy enough) If you haven't taken out the carpet before. The carpet bottem is molded to fit the bumps and curves of the floor. Which means that it is up to about 3/4 in. in places and as little as an 1/8 thick.

I realize this is a personal preference but I thought I would through it out there anyway.

Any ideas or comments?
Thanks!

Spence