Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Shuffle vs. Nano connections

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 11:18 PM
Rollin
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shuffle vs. Nano connections

Is this the best way to input an ipod Shuffle to the stock radio via the aux input?

http://www.sendstation.com/us/products/smartcharge/

Am I correct this is better than the FM tuners or going out the audio plugs to the aux input?

Also, how does the audio quality compare to a Nano connected with something like this? http://www.sendstation.com/us/produc...neout-usb.html

To sum up, I guess I asking how does audio quality compare between a Shuffle w/ an adaptor with a 3.5mm line-out vs. Dock Connector ipods to line-out vs. Dock Connector to the back of the radio head? I have nothing right now so trying to decide if to get a Shuffle this Christmas, or wait till I can afford Nano, etc. and if to get the aux. input in the MC.

Old 11-12-2005, 11:24 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
FM Modulators = Garbage!!! the dont work worth a crap in the MINI's!

Get an Aux Input, its the best 40 bucks you will ever spend.

CD quailty sound, no interference.

Old 11-13-2005, 10:11 AM
OKMini
4th Gear
I hooked my Ipod Nano into my stock head unit of my '05 MCS yesterday. My advice - pay the $40 for the AUX input and do it yourself. There is excellent pics and info if you search this forum...

Hat off to all those who posted install info - this was the easiest install to do and save those big dealer donations:impatient

The install at the back of the radio literally took less than 5 minutes! Pull down the knee bolster, feel behind the radio for the connection and plug in. It took a further 30 minutes (including 3 trips to the tool room) to drill out holes under the toggle switches (behind the front cupholders) and mount the 3.5mm connection.

I used a 3.5mm to 3.5mm $5 cable from the Nano headphone socket to the AUX input and it sounds great to me:smile:

I have heard the FM units are poor and if you are in a large city area they can be really bad! The Mini Ipod kit was too involved - changing pins and having to remove the radio completely - the AUX kit was so much easier.

I looked at the Pocket Dock and other similar items, but am satisfied with the sound from the headphone jack. I may add a car charger that has the line out jack at some point down the line...

Ipod + Mini = :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Old 11-14-2005, 05:26 PM
C4
Banned
I have a black 4GB iPod Nano. I use it in my '05 MCS equipped with the OEM MINI iPod adaptor. Highly recommended integration ($149 plus labor, but I got it for free before delivery, so can't complaint) because:

1) Even better sound quality than the OEM Aux input plug. The sound is feed from the actual dock port connection in the iPod. Besides if you are planning on purchasing the Nano, this is the only way you can hook up the Nano to the stereo. The Nano does not have a separate audio output jack. If you want/need that, then you have to go to either 30GB or 60GB full size iPod video models.

2) Transparent integration. You tuck away your iPod Nano inside the glovebox compartment. Once you hook it up to the iPod adaptor, the Nano goes into external control mode. In other words you won't be able to control the iPod from the click wheel or view song info in the screen. Volume, playlist access and scrolling are done from either the steering wheel controls or the stereo face buttons.

3) the iPod adaptor automatically recharges your Nano battery on the fly. No need to have additional cables running to and from the iPod and powerpoint. Reduces clutter and looks clean.

I used to have the Aux input jack in my '04 MCS and while good and all, I much prefer the sound quality afforded by the direct dock connection using the MINI iPod adaptor solution.

Old 11-14-2005, 09:22 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by Rollin
To sum up, I guess I asking how does audio quality compare between a Shuffle w/ an adaptor with a 3.5mm line-out vs. Dock Connector ipods to line-out vs. Dock Connector to the back of the radio head? I have nothing right now so trying to decide if to get a Shuffle this Christmas, or wait till I can afford Nano, etc. and if to get the aux. input in the MC.
Rollin,

I think you'll find that the Shuffle and the Nano have equal sound quality if you are using proper line-out connections on each. They are both excellently made products. My vote between the two would definitely be for the nano, because you can have both four times the storage capacity and the screen to navigate your music (and simply display the current song!). Totally worth the additional cost... just make sure you protect the unit properly with a good quality case. :smile:

Originally Posted by C4
Even better sound quality than the OEM Aux input plug. The sound is feed from the actual dock port connection in the iPod. Besides if you are planning on purchasing the Nano, this is the only way you can hook up the Nano to the stereo. The Nano does not have a separate audio output jack. If you want/need that, then you have to go to either 30GB or 60GB full size iPod video models.
Originally Posted by C4
I used to have the Aux input jack in my '04 MCS and while good and all, I much prefer the sound quality afforded by the direct dock connection using the MINI iPod adaptor solution.
I want to clarify something from C4's comments.

The audio quality of his original solution (iPod -> Aux Input) had nothing to do with the Aux Input itself. It had to do with the fact he was connecting via the headphone jack. What's wrong with the headphone jack? Nothing, if you're using headphones. The problem is that it is an amplified signal, when what you really want is an unamplified, direct "line out" jack. Using two amplifiers in series will have a negative effect on sound quality, not to mention it is harder to maintain the proper balance (playing with both volume controls, one on the iPod, one on the car stereo). Unfortunately, the iPod doesn't come with a built-in line-out jack(and neither does the nano).

The alternative solution to buying the official adaptor, or another aftermarket solution such as the iceLink>Plus, is to simply buy the PocketDock mentioned above. The PocketDock will give you unamplified line-out from your iPod or nano, without needing to buy another special iPod product. This is what I am currently using, and allows me to retain full control over my iPod. One downside, it doesn't charge your iPod (although you can use a USB power adaptor to still do that), although the bonus is that you can save some battery by turning the headphone volume ALL the way down while you listen, so the built-in headphone amplifier doesn't waste any battery.

Anyway, I just wanted to clarify that you can get EQUALLY good sound as the OEM iPod adaptor by using the Aux Input.

Old 11-14-2005, 10:26 PM
Rollin
3rd Gear
What "proper line-out" connections are available for the shuffle besides the one I pictured at the top of the thread? Best I can tell the PocketDock will not work with it. Thanks for all the good info so fare.

Old 11-14-2005, 11:07 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by Rollin
What "proper line-out" connections are available for the shuffle besides the one I pictured at the top of the thread? Best I can tell the PocketDock will not work with it. Thanks for all the good info so fare.
I don't own an iPod Shuffle, so I can't speak from first-hand experience with that specific product, but I DO own a PocketDock, and I have been extremely happy with its quality.

If you do decide that the Shuffle is the way to go for you, I would definitely recommend you buy the Sendstation product you listed (the smartCharge). I would be willing to bet it works beautifully.

Old 12-26-2005, 10:10 AM
mbcoops
6th Gear
Just got a Nano for xmas and am trying to learn all of this to decide which the best option is.

I read that the OEM ipod connector (in the glove box) doesn't give you any options for browsing songs and playlists, but C4's comments contradict this.

Can you see the song names on your display with the oem install?

What's the difference between an ipod aux input and an adapter?

Thanks!

mb

Old 12-26-2005, 10:15 AM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
aux input is like speakers... it just plays it and you have to control it with the IPOD itself.

ipod adapter... *shrug* I have no idea don't have that

-Josh

Old 12-26-2005, 09:00 PM
C4
Banned
Please re-read my previous post

The main downside of the MINI OEM iPod adaptor is that you can not see the Id tags (Song/artist) in the stereo headunit. All you see is "TRXX"<--- Track and number same as if you were playing a regular CD. So if each one of your 5 playlists have 99 or more songs, this could be a little inconvenient to search back and forth for specific songs in your iPod.

When you plug the iPod adaptor to your iPod (Whether it is a Nano, Mini, 3G, 4G or 5G video) the device goes automatically into "external control mode" in other words, the iPod's clickwheel functions or menus are not available while the iPod is hooked up to the adaptor.

This works perfect for me, because I like to keep my ipod Nano out of plain sight, tucked away inside the glovebox. Also the Nano has a crisp but small 1.5 inch display and the last thing I would want to attempt is to read the screen while driving.

If you have any other questions, fireaway.
Originally Posted by mbcoops
Just got a Nano for xmas and am trying to learn all of this to decide which the best option is.

I read that the OEM ipod connector (in the glove box) doesn't give you any options for browsing songs and playlists, but C4's comments contradict this.

Can you see the song names on your display with the oem install?

What's the difference between an ipod aux input and an adapter?

Thanks!

mb

Old 12-27-2005, 06:39 PM
mbcoops
6th Gear
Ok, thanks, I misread what you wrote.

I want something as "clean" as possible and don't want to use the lighter thing since that houses my radar detector.

How do you know which list you are playing while using the car's controls?

mb