Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Aux. in install

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 06:41 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i don't have metric drill bits either...

Old 09-03-2005, 07:10 PM
classpro
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I coult not get the threads of the small screws with the aux plate to bite into the plastic. There is no sharp tip on the screws. They wouldn't go in. Maybe because the pilot hole was too small. Also, the mini-rca jack is not very long - I could barely get the nut on without the cover plate. I made a mess of it, but at least it's functional and not very visible.

Yes, no drilling for the euro shelf, but you need to get the screws into the new plastic brackets. Two problems - (1) getting the screws to line up with the brackets was VERY difficult, and (2) the screw heads have an odd shape. I have a square bit in my drill-bit set that seemed like it would fit the head, but it was stripping the screw when I was tightening it. I had the bit in an extender in a handle, so it was an awkward arrangements. I think the screws are started into the plastic clips, but they are not tight or straight. However, the shelf seems pretty tight anyway. Maybe I'll run into a mini finatic someday who has a set of drivers for these screws.

I'm hamfisted when it comes to mounting things. Plugging in the aux cable was very easy.

Old 09-03-2005, 07:11 PM
classpro
2nd Gear
It's odd that big stores like Home Depo don't carry metric bits. Everyone in the world uses metric but us, right?

Old 09-03-2005, 07:30 PM
ururk
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by classpro
It's odd that big stores like Home Depo don't carry metric bits. Everyone in the world uses metric but us, right?
Yep. I went to Home Depot specifically for the bits, and was displeased when I found out they didn't carry em. I was going to go to Sears, but said the heck with it! Ended up buying a Dremel Chuck to replace the collets I had missing - best 10.00 I've spent in a while!

And as far as the screws - if I remember correctly, they do not have sharp pointy teeth - I mean tips - so you will need to have a bit that is almost as wide as the tip - but no more.

Also, Torx screwdrivers are relatively cheap, square drive bits won't work very well. As long as you're not knocking into the screw with your knee, I wouldn't worry. The shelf is made in such a way that the screws purpose seems to be to prevent it from rattling.

And finally, a 10mm bit is honking huge when you look at it compared to the jack - 10mm is greater than .25"!

Old 09-03-2005, 11:23 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wat i usually do is choose a bit that is slightly smaller diameter than the screw body. that's usually about the right size bit to use.

as far as the jack itself, just keep drilling your non-metric until you
have the right size... i just bought one of those cheepo bit packages
that comes with a little case and 10-12 different sized bits. it works
just fine for most home projects.

if you're going to drill metal, etc. then bits become pretty expensive..
like the step drill bits will cost over $35 for a decent one.

you can also just use a reamer for these small projects.

Old 09-04-2005, 03:39 AM
umberto
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
When I put my AUX into the parcel shelf, I drilled the 2 little holes for the AUX and then drilled the larger central one for the AUX jack, only to discover that the jack didn't portrudue far enough past the parcel shelf to have enough threads for the nut to fit on with the plate in place....so I just didn't use the plate...I didn't need the plate to tell me it was the AUX as I know it is the AUX and nobody would see it anyway unless they were to stick their head under my steering wheel and look with a flashlight... so put the nut on the jack to secure it without the plate, then put two screws in the other 2 holes to act as dummy screws

Also struck out trying to find metric bits...very suprised...so I just experimented with all my other small bits on a piece of plastic to see which size would work....not a problem, really

as far as installing the parcel shelf, yeah, all sorts of trouble getting the screws to line up, dropping the screws behind and making my back sore...finally got both screws to screw into something and it seems secure and hasn't dropped down yet after 1 year

Old 09-04-2005, 09:59 AM
classpro
2nd Gear
Umberto: I did the same thing. No cover. I have a couple of ugly screw holes for the two plate screws that I'm not using, but it's not really visable. Install sure doesn't look as good as the posted pictures with the cover plate, but it seems to work. The euro shelf seems secure and doesn't rattle, but the screws are not in right. I'll look for a set of torx screw drivers. It's really crazy that we're still avoiding metric when the rest of the world is metric.

Old 09-04-2005, 07:45 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chrisnl
Ugh! Have you received yours yet? I just got mine today, and it is total crap. I'm returning it immediately. It doesn't retract with getting tangled up with itself; it took me about five minutes to actually get it back to its original state in order to return it. Total piece of garbage. I'd expect to be sold something like this on a crowded sidewalk with no hope of getting my money back, not from a legitimate business with a return policy. I've recommended to them that they discontinue the product, or at least drop the price by 50-75%. It's hard to imagine anyone being satisfied with it. $10 for this is a joke.

OK, rant over. ururk, does the one from PC-Mobile.net actually work? If so, I'm there.
I just got mine today and it's fine. The trick is to pull both ends of the cable at the same time (not one at a time). The cable itself is of nice quality as are the gold-plated ends.

I'll admit that the extraction/retraction of the cable in the holder could be a bit better, but I wasn't expecting too much for $10. I'm totally happy with mine. I'm sorry that you aren't.

Old 09-26-2006, 06:43 AM
DrGary
Neutral
I bought the Aux Input for my 2005 Mini, and it was easy to snap in...took 30 seconds. I have a problem that hopefully someone can answer. My head unit will not recognize my MP3 player(Zen Micro). No matter what I do, I can not get the AUX to show up on my display when I cycle through. Any thoughts?

Old 09-26-2006, 07:02 AM
golden_child
Coordinator :: Capital Area MINI Modders
I did a quick search 2min and this is what I came up with.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...&highlight=aux

Do you have NAV? Just wondering because I remember reading a post about the AUX socket being used by something else.

Here you go.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=11518

Old 09-26-2006, 10:28 AM
DrGary
Neutral
WOW----Golden Child...thanks for the reply. I am brand new to North American Motoring. I read those post links you suggested, and it looks like my HU may be bad. I have no NAV, and my CD/radio works perfectly. Maybe just the AUX is inoperative. I have a call in to my Mini Dealer Service Dept.
Take care..Gary

Old 09-26-2006, 10:39 AM
golden_child
Coordinator :: Capital Area MINI Modders
No sweat. I'm glad I could help.