Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Aux. in install

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 08:07 AM
umberto
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
When I thought of seeing if something like this existed a year ago, I did all sorts of searches and calling around and only found one by PC-Mobile.net....the part number is: SP33R and the link to it was:

http://www.pc-mobile.net/mio8380.htm

it was only $6.50 but the minimum order is $11 so I bought two so I keep the other as a spare

please note...that since I bought this a year ago, there is another company that makes one too so you may want to do a google search, or in this forum someplace as that was where it was mentioned that there is another source for this sort of cable....it works well....you pull the unit out and the cable unwinds out and then locks....then when want to retract it, you pull on it slightly like closing a window shade and the cord retracts neatly as you put the unit back on the parcel shelf

Old 08-30-2005, 08:15 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by umberto
it works well....you pull the unit out and the cable unwinds out and then locks....then when want to retract it, you pull on it slightly like closing a window shade and the cord retracts neatly as you put the unit back on the parcel shelf
That's awesome! I want one. Key word: one. OfficeMaven, care to go halfsies on an order? Ship the pair to either me or you, then split them up? A simple padded envelope should do it... PM me if you like!

Old 08-30-2005, 08:41 AM
lcubed
4th Gear
Originally Posted by lurch70
Ok, the GLI trick did not work ...

Tiem to try my friends iPod and some other MP3 players and try to narrow the problem down ...

Then maybe move the AUX input somewhere else ...

All else fails will try to exchange the AUX input as a last resort.
have you checked to make sure it's fully seated on the radio end??
it really shouldn't be jiggleable...

Old 08-30-2005, 09:56 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umberto
When I thought of seeing if something like this existed a year ago, I did all sorts of searches and calling around and only found one by PC-Mobile.net....the part number is: SP33R and the link to it was...
Thanks for the fast response and the info!

I also found a few different ones after searching around the net for a bit. I placed links to them in an edit that I added onto my original post (over on the second page of this thead).

Thanks again.

Old 08-30-2005, 10:01 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chrisnl
That's awesome! I want one. Key word: one. OfficeMaven, care to go halfsies on an order? Ship the pair to either me or you, then split them up? A simple padded envelope should do it... PM me if you like!
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the offer... I probably would have taken you up on it, but I'm afraid that I already ordered one.

I found a really nice one that goes from 5" to 59" and has gold-plated connectors on it and so I ordered it on the spot. It's called a BoxWave MiniSync (from www.boxwave.com) and they sell it for about $10 with a $3 dollar shipping cost.

Here's the direct link:

http://www.boxwave.com/products/audi...o-male_641.htm

Thanks again.

Old 08-30-2005, 10:11 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Cool, thanks - I think I'll order me up one of those as well! :smile:

Old 08-30-2005, 10:18 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
pretty coool~

Old 08-31-2005, 10:38 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
my wife got me the 1G ZEN Nano Plus for our 7th wedding annivarsary.

It's also blue in color to match my MINI.

i just wanted to brag. now I can do about twice the tracks i have in my 512MB one.

Old 08-31-2005, 07:59 PM
ururk
5th Gear
I got the garage door opener installed! I don't know if I'd get across the US/Canada border with it, but I think I did a decent job. The pushbutton required a .72" diameter hole! Very close to the edges of the blanking plate. I used a 3mm ORANGE LED, so that it matches my interior lighting (I also could have used a 5mm LED, but stuck with the smaller size. I got the LED from:

www.lsdiodes.com

who are not terribly expensive when you consider Radio Shack and Digikey, etc... Shipping was fast and professional. The only regret I have is not sanding the LED so it was diffused. If I have to take the blanking plate out, I'd sand it.

The switch looks like a miniature version of an arcade game button. Pretty cool. I haven't made a decal/sticker yet to say something like "Tacks" or "Oil Slick" but will...

Attached Thumbnails Aux. in install-pushbutton.jpg   Aux. in install-pushbutton_back.jpg  
Old 08-31-2005, 08:49 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
nice job. but now we know your garage door opener's code so look out. j/k.

Old 08-31-2005, 09:01 PM
ururk
5th Gear
Originally Posted by kenchan
nice job. but now we know your garage door opener's code so look out. j/k.
Ugh. Stoopid me. I am going to change it tonight, ye know that? In the meantime, I have blacked the combination out, though thankfully, it's a bit difficult to resolve the code, and there are more positions than shown! Ha!

Sigh.

Old 08-31-2005, 09:03 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
ururk - that's awesome!!! It looks just like an old Atari joystick button!

Old 08-31-2005, 09:11 PM
ururk
5th Gear
Ok, changed the code. My brother is going to be a bit upset when he gets home tonight, though . Hopefully he'll listen to his cell voicemail :D

Old 08-31-2005, 09:20 PM
ururk
5th Gear
And for those who want to know, the switch is:

Made by NTE

SPST
Momentary, Normally Open
Part number: 54-385
www.nteinc.com

Data Sheet (for some reason, the switch is grey, but the description says red, probably placed a grayscale image in the PDF):

http://www.nteinc.com/switches/pdf/pg18.pdf

I got the part at the local electronics store (www.purchaseradio.com). I doubt they do mail order, and I'm sure it's not worth the time trying to order a switch from them.

I was tempted to use a vandal proof switch, but they cost around 15.00 a switch! And didn't come in red.

John

Old 09-01-2005, 08:15 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
i think i might try this later on. my opener has the rolling codes.

Was your brother pissed?

Old 09-01-2005, 08:22 AM
ururk
5th Gear
i think i might try this later on. my opener has the rolling codes.

Was your brother pissed?
No, I was awake when he got home, and saw him coming up the driveway. I realized it'd be best to not upset him, as there was leftover pizza in the fridge, and felt that it might go "missing" before I had a chance to eat a slice today.

mmmmm, pizza...

Old 09-01-2005, 09:13 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
everyone deserves a pizza after a job well done. don't let it walk.

Originally Posted by ururk
No, I was awake when he got home, and saw him coming up the driveway. I realized it'd be best to not upset him, as there was leftover pizza in the fridge, and felt that it might go "missing" before I had a chance to eat a slice today.

mmmmm, pizza...

Old 09-02-2005, 09:12 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TheOfficeMaven
I found a really nice one that goes from 5" to 59" and has gold-plated connectors on it and so I ordered it on the spot. It's called a BoxWave MiniSync (from www.boxwave.com) and they sell it for about $10 with a $3 dollar shipping cost.

Here's the direct link:

http://www.boxwave.com/products/audi...o-male_641.htm

Thanks again.
Ugh! Have you received yours yet? I just got mine today, and it is total crap. I'm returning it immediately. It doesn't retract with getting tangled up with itself; it took me about five minutes to actually get it back to its original state in order to return it. Total piece of garbage. I'd expect to be sold something like this on a crowded sidewalk with no hope of getting my money back, not from a legitimate business with a return policy. I've recommended to them that they discontinue the product, or at least drop the price by 50-75%. It's hard to imagine anyone being satisfied with it. $10 for this is a joke.

OK, rant over. ururk, does the one from PC-Mobile.net actually work? If so, I'm there.

Old 09-02-2005, 09:14 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
pretty coool~
Warning to all: do not purchase this product. It is useless crap!

Old 09-02-2005, 10:18 AM
ururk
5th Gear
Originally Posted by chrisnl
OK, rant over. ururk, does the one from PC-Mobile.net actually work? If so, I'm there.
I think you may be mistaken, I didn't order one of these - sorry!

Did I say so? If so, let me know.

I've had a bad experience with a wind up modem cord, but some people swear by these things. (or maybe it was swear at...)

John

Old 09-02-2005, 10:26 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ururk
I think you may be mistaken, I didn't order one of these - sorry!

Did I say so? If so, let me know.
Woops, I guess I meant umberto. I get all you 'u' people mixed up.

Old 09-03-2005, 06:59 AM
umberto
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Chrisnl........where did you get yours? mine from PC-mobile works fine....it locks at the length you pull it out to....to retract it, you tug on it like a window shade, then follow it in as it retracts neatly.....has worked very time I've used it without binding or tangling....hope this helps

Old 09-03-2005, 02:50 PM
classpro
2nd Gear
I ordered the euro shelf from Classic MINI for $72.67 delivered, and I ordered the aux cable from my dealer ($40). It was not very difficult to get the old bolster panel off with the instructions from here. Also it was very easy to plug in the aux cable. That's where the "easy" ended.

I had lots of problems getting the euro shelf in - lining up the screws. One of my biggest problems is that I don't have the tools required. I don't have the Torx screw drivers that match the screws on the euro shelf. I had a similar bit, but I think it was stripping the screw at the end when I was trying to tighten it. I also don't have metric drill bits - I went to home depo and wallmart, and neither of them stock metric drill bits. I tried to use similar size "US" size bits, but they really made a mess. Could not figure how to get the small screws on the aux kit to hold on the plate. I was able to get the mini-rca receptor through a hole and tighten the nut, but there was not enough room for the plate too. It was a pretty ugly job. Fortunately, it's not very visible. Also, I could not get the torx screws for the euro shelf in tight, although the shelf feels like it's pretty sturdy - we'll see if it shakes loose. I admit I'm all thumbs, but this was a lot harder for someone like me who is not good at mounting things than you all suggested.

Old 09-03-2005, 03:34 PM
ururk
5th Gear
Originally Posted by classpro
I also don't have metric drill bits - I went to home depo and wallmart, and neither of them stock metric drill bits. I tried to use similar size "US" size bits, but they really made a mess. Could not figure how to get the small screws on the aux kit to hold on the plate. I was able to get the mini-rca receptor through a hole and tighten the nut, but there was not enough room for the plate too. It was a pretty ugly job. Fortunately, it's not very visible.
To use this method, you need a decent assortment of drill bits, preferably a large kit.

My theory is - if I don't have the right size bit, start small. Normally, I'd use a caliper, and find the nearest smaller size drill bit. This method works if you do not have a caliper.

So, for instance, steps to mount plate on euro shelf:

Place plate where you want it. Punch using awl where holes need to go.

Next - on to the 3 holes. No 2mm bit? Find your smallest bit. Does it fit through the screw hole? Is it thinner than the screw? If yes, use this bit to make the pilot holes. Test on a portion of the shelf that isn't visible - does the screw stay?

On to the larger hole. Find a bit that fits inside the hole for the stereo jack. Use this to make the middle hole. The jack will not initially fit - you need to go up one drill bit at a time, until the jack just fits through the hole. The jack is not supposed to mount to the plastic! It only mounts to the plate. Once the hole is wide enough, mount the plate, and see if you need to enlarge the middle hole. If not, install the shelf!

John

Old 09-03-2005, 03:41 PM
lcubed
4th Gear
Originally Posted by classpro
I ordered the euro shelf from Classic MINI for $72.67 delivered, and I ordered the aux cable from my dealer ($40). It was not very difficult to get the old bolster panel off with the instructions from here. Also it was very easy to plug in the aux cable. That's where the "easy" ended.

I had lots of problems getting the euro shelf in - lining up the screws. One of my biggest problems is that I don't have the tools required. I don't have the Torx screw drivers that match the screws on the euro shelf. I had a similar bit, but I think it was stripping the screw at the end when I was trying to tighten it. I also don't have metric drill bits - I went to home depo and wallmart, and neither of them stock metric drill bits. I tried to use similar size "US" size bits, but they really made a mess. Could not figure how to get the small screws on the aux kit to hold on the plate. I was able to get the mini-rca receptor through a hole and tighten the nut, but there was not enough room for the plate too. It was a pretty ugly job. Fortunately, it's not very visible. Also, I could not get the torx screws for the euro shelf in tight, although the shelf feels like it's pretty sturdy - we'll see if it shakes loose. I admit I'm all thumbs, but this was a lot harder for someone like me who is not good at mounting things than you all suggested.
afaik, the euro shelf requires no new holes drilled except for the aux cable.
the two small screws for the aux cable just require a pilot hole that's
smaller than the thread. the threads should bite into the plastic.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Aux. in install