Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Very Rare Stock Headunit

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 07:00 PM
05JCWS
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very Rare Stock Headunit

I have just installed a pretty rare stock headunit. Many of you may have seen the Traffic Pro installation instructions on Gabes website (http://motoringfile.com/howto/Traffi...or%20Boost.PDF) The unit originally targeted for the Mini was the Becker Traffic Pro Model 6550. This model is based off of the commerical Model 4776. BMW not only commissioned the 6550, but they also commissioned Becker to create the Model 4771, which is the one pictured on the installation instructions. It is unclear if any 6550's were ever created. After 6 months of searching I was unable to find any trace of one of these units. At the same time, my search did find the 4771 model. The 4771 was never sold to the public. A total of 250 prototype units were created by BMW Gmbh. These units were to test the manufacturing process, but were never released to the public. The units sat on a shelf for about 3 years in Germany. Just before they were destined for the trash bin, Becker of North America grabbed them and decided to sell some of them. This is where I picked up my 4771 for $499. This is approximately $1100 off of the nearly identical 4776 model.

The 4771 is a single DIN Radio/CD player/Navigation unit, of the type found popular in Europe. The single DIN nav units easily outsell the full screen LCD "map" units found in the States. A lot of the reason that Europe has favored this type of unit is that the single DIN unit accomplishes more of their idea of the purpose of a nav unit (direct, concise detailed instructions given verbally, with no distraction). In the States there is a much bigger push for the "bling" factor with large colorful LCD's, that provide more information, but also increase the problems of distraction.

Now a lot of you are probably saying what is so cool about the 4771. Well two things are a major big deal compared to any other aftermarket unit. The first, is that the 4771 communicates across the BMW iBus, which allows the use of the MSFW controls as well as BMW CD changer. The second, is that the display color of the 4771 is an exact match for the BMW orange color. Both of these facts along with the single DIN style give a very polished factory look. And if some people had, there way at BMW it would have been the factory look.

It took quite some time to get the unit installed, due to a lack of instructions and how-to information, but both Becker and the Yahoo traffic pro newsgroup were great information. The navigation unit is very accurate and includes a British female voice. I had an '03 MCS with the factory nav, and except for the nice color screen this unit is far superior to all aspects of the factory unit. The unit looks very stock, the antanea is hidden under the dash, and the sound quality and features of the Becker unit is far superior to the stock unit. The only drawback is that I lost my mp3 capabilities from the CD player. But the BMW Denison unit works well with this unit and an iPod.

A lot of you are wanting to see pictures, so I have included some below. I do not believe there are any more available, but you can find a few on eBay every once in a while, but the prices seem to be inching up.

Old 03-08-2005, 08:54 PM
Maximusmini
6th Gear
Mind if I ask where you got it from? Could you PM me some info?

Thanks

Old 03-08-2005, 09:00 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Wow! This is fantastic! I love that you have the nav in the radio readout, and get to retain the Speedo! I just used my new Garmin 2610 for the Vegas meet. LOVED it!

Clover

Old 03-08-2005, 09:47 PM
rataha
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Looks like a chrono pack not a center speedo

Originally Posted by MINIclo
Wow! This is fantastic! I love that you have the nav in the radio readout, and get to retain the Speedo! I just used my new Garmin 2610 for the Vegas meet. LOVED it!

Clover

Old 03-08-2005, 11:15 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Looks very much like the Traffic Pro I put in my M Coupe (its not BMW branded however, and matches the the various red lights vs the orange - this photo doesnt do it justice). I love the TP, it works like a charm. It is very fast and, until I picked up the Mini with its DVD Nav, far surpassed the BMW OEM units I had used in the E46 and 03 Mini. The new DVD in the Mini tho has really been a terrific surprise, I'd say its very close, if not equal, to the speed of the Traffic Pro now. For anyone without the OEM Nav that needs/wants GPS I agree that the TP is a great option

Old 03-08-2005, 11:24 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rataha
Looks like a chrono pack not a center speedo
True, but if one could obtain the rare system, one COULD still have a center speedo!

Clover

Old 03-09-2005, 04:16 AM
05JCWS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Maximusmini
Mind if I ask where you got it from? Could you PM me some info?

Thanks
I got it directly from Becker North America. You can check out this site for more info (http://www.waycoolinc.com/z3/01/081501/becker.html) I am not sure if Becker has anymore left. There was only a few when I ordered mine a few months ago.