Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Audio parts installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 11:30 AM
MiniPoo
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio parts installation

Have my alpine head unit and planning to order some components and rear speakers for my car. Keeping it simple until I can afford more parts. I've come across links on how to install the head unit and speakers; did a search for them and couldn't find it anymore. Could someone please give me some links to install these parts myself. I'm a novice at this and am not sure if I can do it myself. The head unit looks a little involved and I've heard stories of electrical system going to the sheets after attempted installs. The speakers do not seem bad at all. I hope to do all this myself to save a lot of money that would have gone to professional installs. Words of encouragement and helpful advices and links would be much appreciated.

Old 12-15-2004, 02:16 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The FAQs on MINI2 are a great place to read about replacing a head unit.
The important thing is to be sure you have the adaptors - one to convert the original head unit connector (power/speaker signals), one to convert the antenna, and a bracket to mount a standard head unit in the slightly non-standard MINI position.
Electrically all should be good if you go with an adaptor and dont' risk cutting into the original wiring.
The pain with rear speakers is the level of car disassembly - rear seats must come out to get at the rear panels!

IMPORTANT: If you have the Harman Kardon upgrade, do not proceed!