Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio MP3 Display on Nav Screen.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 12:50 PM
pcnorton
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MP3 Display on Nav Screen.

Been cruising through Hack the Ibus Yahoo groups and seen some interesting MP3 interface to the nav. WHy can't the BMW Ipod do this? I'm looking for an straight forward way to do this. WHen I figure it out, I'll report back. Anybody here allready do it?

You should see the screen shots. Its what the integration should be.

Paul

Old 11-15-2004, 12:44 PM
minie
3rd Gear
u got any pic of the screen shot?

Old 11-15-2004, 01:43 PM
pcnorton
5th Gear
Originally Posted by minie
u got any pic of the screen shot?

What do you thinK?

Paul

Old 11-16-2004, 10:30 AM
Addsy77
1st Gear
too cool! How'd you do it??

Old 11-16-2004, 11:59 AM
pcnorton
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Addsy77
too cool! How'd you do it??
I wish I did it. It some guy on the web that made his own MP# hard drive system and hacked into the IBUS. If he can do it, I don't see why someone can't make an interface out there for the IPOD or others. I have heard of using the ARCHOS mp3 player and integrating it, but haven't heard of display except on this french guys site.

Paul

Old 11-16-2004, 05:45 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
That's also not a MINI. It does appear to be a BMW'esque system, but definately not a MINI.

Old 11-16-2004, 06:07 PM
pcnorton
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mbabischkin
That's also not a MINI. It does appear to be a BMW'esque system, but definately not a MINI.
Its a BMW, and it use the same IBUS as the mini as well as the nav system. So the mini is definately possible. I'm trying to find some Mini multimedia display pics. I did see some, just have to find pics, but they are about integrating a PC to the nav system.

Paul

Old 11-16-2004, 07:34 PM
mlebeau
4th Gear
Originally Posted by pcnorton
Its a BMW, and it use the same IBUS as the mini as well as the nav system. So the mini is definately possible. I'm trying to find some Mini multimedia display pics. I did see some, just have to find pics, but they are about integrating a PC to the nav system.

Paul
Actually that's the K-Bus, not the I-Bus, but they're more or less the same and the distinction is rarely made.

-mike

Old 11-25-2004, 11:44 AM
pcnorton
5th Gear
Old 11-29-2004, 11:11 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
When you show me pics of somebody doing it in a MINI, then I'll get excited.

Old 11-29-2004, 11:23 AM
pcnorton
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mbabischkin
When you show me pics of somebody doing it in a MINI, then I'll get excited.
SO will I. It looks like the new ice link could be using the nav display. There are more BMW's out there so its more likely they would be doing this first. ANd other than Ian how many electronic wizzes are in a Mini. THese guys that have done this have built their own MP3 players. I post these to show what is definately possible.

You do realize tha BMW and Mini are connected and that they share electronics?

Paul

Old 11-29-2004, 11:37 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pcnorton
You do realize tha BMW and Mini are connected and that they share electronics?
Gee I had no idea, well that explains why the 3 series I drove once seemed so familiar .

Yeah, they share a lot of components, but that doesn't mean that the iDrive system in the 5 and 7 series can be stuffed into a MINI. There are lots of similarities, but there are lots of differences too, that's why I don't get excited when a BMW owner hacks into their electronics to add functionality that doesn't exist from the factory.

Again, when somebody does it in a MINI, then I'll get excited...

Old 12-08-2004, 08:09 AM
pcnorton
5th Gear
Well I posted the link to this picture and a question to Tom Guagliardoof Denison on Gabes Motoring File. My question:

"Does that mean display on Nav unit? Like this?

http://membres.lycos.fr/mimi74/bebox4.jpg"

He responded:

"Paul,

the ID3v2 text will be very similiar to that when released."

Sound good to me. Puts a hold on my CarX project.

Paul

Old 12-08-2004, 11:26 AM
rrypma
4th Gear
This will happen when what will be released? Are we talking about the firmware for the existing IceLink Plus? Is this a separate piece of hardware that sits in line with the icelink/ipod?

Old 12-08-2004, 11:29 AM
rrypma
4th Gear
Check out this Sirius integration with the NAV...

http://www.bmwnav.com/newradio.htm

Old 02-21-2006, 08:16 AM
phaedrus
3rd Gear
Arise, dead forum topic, arise!

Anyone have any updates on this? Anyone? Anyone?

Bueller?

Bueller?

Old 02-21-2006, 11:58 AM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
A little different but similar:

Yes, this is a MINI nav screen, see here for more details:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ht=ice+minitor

Old 02-21-2006, 12:02 PM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
Oh, nevermind. You were talking about IPODs, this is MP3's on CD. Man, I need a coffee.

Old 02-21-2006, 12:45 PM
phaedrus
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by The MINITOR
Oh, nevermind. You were talking about IPODs, this is MP3's on CD. Man, I need a coffee.
Actually, I was referring to the mp3 CD function

But I was looking for a more seamless solution (i.e. more of an OEM look as pictured above). Thanks, though.

Old 02-21-2006, 01:01 PM
Sam
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Icelink plus and NAV

Things I learned from recent encounters with Dension:

You cannot use the Head unit interface with a OEM Nav system - verbal directions from the Nav become inoperative.

The only system from Dension that works with OEM Nav is the CD changer connection in the boot.

By agreement Dension sales personnel should be advising you of the above.

ID3 tag information is displayed on the Nav screen through the Phone/Bluetooth interface. When using the Nav and Ipod at the same time the screen will transition from ID3 tag information to Navigation screen only when a verbal direction message is processed. Then the screen reverts back to ID3 tag information. ID3 tag information is displayed on the Head unit as well. You cannot turn off ID3 tag information to the Nav screen without simultaneously turning off tag information to the head unit

Dension has never integrated their system into a MINI Cooper or S and were unaware of the above information.

My opinion: Dension solution is workable but less than ideal. Unfortunately there is not a solution currently available from any other manufacture that is any better than the Dension Icelink Plus

I would more than welcome a MP3 Hard drive system integrated to display as a small window on the Nav and the headunit with the option of turning off display on the Nav. I would like to move away from the Ipod as I tend to lose
them. (two nano's so far)

Old 02-21-2006, 01:17 PM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
Originally Posted by samiam01
You cannot use the Head unit interface with a OEM Nav system - verbal directions from the Nav become inoperative.
I'm curious about this one. Is this what Dension says? Does the Dension interface plug into the same interface as the nav then? I am asking because MINI USA also says that the aux cable cannot be used with a OEM Nav system, but it is possible if you combine the wires from the 2 interfaces into one interface. This may be different with the Dension, but from what you said above that only the verbal directions would become inoperative it makes me wonder that this is possible here too.

and FYI, I have a simple toggle switch that goes between my nav screen and mp3 screen, it really is a simple solution, though not the window within the nav system described above.

Old 02-21-2006, 02:21 PM
sck_nogas
2nd Gear
Looks like www.bmwportal.net got 0wn3d.

Sad. But, they'll likely be back up later today.

Scott

Old 02-21-2006, 03:15 PM
mikeythemini
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by samiam01
Things I learned from recent encounters with Dension:

The only system from Dension that works with OEM Nav is the CD changer connection in the boot.

By agreement Dension sales personnel should be advising you of the above.

ID3 tag information is displayed on the Nav screen through the Phone/Bluetooth interface. When using the Nav and Ipod at the same time the screen will transition from ID3 tag information to Navigation screen only when a verbal direction message is processed. Then the screen reverts back to ID3 tag information. ID3 tag information is displayed on the Head unit as well. You cannot turn off ID3 tag information to the Nav screen without simultaneously turning off tag information to the head unit

Dension has never integrated their system into a MINI Cooper or S and were unaware of the above information.

My opinion: Dension solution is workable but less than ideal. Unfortunately there is not a solution currently available from any other manufacture that is any better than the Dension Icelink Plus

I would more than welcome a MP3 Hard drive system integrated to display as a small window on the Nav and the headunit with the option of turning off display on the Nav. I would like to move away from the Ipod as I tend to lose
them. (two nano's so far)
You have been told incorrect information,
The icelink head unit connection type - all you have to do is pull the black 12 pin plug from the factory plug & clip it into the new plug - VOICE KEPT

Old 02-21-2006, 03:34 PM
GaryD
Neutral
Jeez - there needs to be some clear direction coming out of Denison on this... I read a bunch of posts on this forum and added my own experience on a different thread. The bottom line - if they have a way to make this thing work then they are doing a bad job of explaining it to people. Two efforts by Tweeter resulted in the Ice-Link being pulled from our Mini and its about to go back to Denison because either the ID tags did not display or the voice on the nav system quit. This should be set up to be a plug and play solution which means clear install instructions and no work arounds.... Sorry $200 in labor charges poorer and nothing to show for it makes me cranky!

Old 02-21-2006, 06:49 PM
Sam
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mikeythemini
You have been told incorrect information,
The icelink head unit connection type - all you have to do is pull the black 12 pin plug from the factory plug & clip it into the new plug - VOICE KEPT
I tried to follow your directions as posted on MINI2 a few months ago - put did not find the black wire or where to move it. I stand by what I stated in my above post. Consumers expect the item to work right out of the box. And at the time of purchase I was assured that there was not an installation problem with the headunit interface. When I explained to their tech support what you related to resolve the issue - they were completely unaware that 1) there was a problem and 2) that moving the wire was a solution. Further questions revealed that they had never actually performed a install on a MINI Cooper/S.

Although your solution may be viable it was not addressed in their documentation and unfortunately you and your obvious expertise where not listed in the "troubleshooting" section of their documentation.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio MP3 Display on Nav Screen.