Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio R57 standard audio speaker sizes

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 08:00 PM
Denzien
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
R57 standard audio speaker sizes

Can someone tell me definitively what size speakers fit where in the convertible? I'm a little frustrated trying to just figure out what I can or cannot install.

I've seen that the lower door speakers are 5.25", then that they are 150mm, which is nearly 6". So, must I use 5.25" speakers, or will 6.5" speakers fit (even if I have to cut a little, which I'm cool with)?

Then, every single write up said that the rear speakers were 6x9 with no mention that the convertible has smaller rear speakers ... and then I happened upon a blurb that the rear speakers are the same as the front lowers (yes, I should have checked the car myself). Then I saw where one measure of the stock rears was 5.25", and another measure was 6.5". So - same question: what size speakers can I reasonably install there? Is depth a concern?

I've finally found a reference to constructing an adapter for tweeters in the 100mm upper door speaker locations, so I will do that, no problem.

My plan is to replace the fronts with component speakers, the rears with coaxial speakers, do a channel swap, and leach the bass frequencies from the rears for a sub, powering them with a 5 channel amp. Is that reasonable in the abstract for this car? I'm not an audiophile, so good and loud is good enough (as I've finally blown my stock speakers).

Thanks!

The following users liked this post:
Ah Ahhhh (03-17-2020)
Old 08-21-2018, 01:21 PM
Denzien
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Confirmed 100mm (4in) in upper and 150mm (6in) in lower. Interestingly, the "6.5" Pioneers I installed (TS-A1606C) were slightly smaller than the stock 6" speakers and were easy to install with new holes. Meanwhile, 4" coaxials fit perfectly in the 4" holes. No more rattling on loud, bass-y parts. Stuffed the passive crossover behind the upper speaker, fabricated some mounts and replaced that speaker with the tweeter until I figure out how I want to mount them on the dash. Sounds at least as good as when the car was new. Will be even better when I finish everything.

Have not yet torn out the rear speakers - had a lot of work to the Jeep that superseded this project. Will report back with what I find.

Last edited by Denzien; 08-27-2018 at 12:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ah Ahhhh (03-17-2020)
Old 09-25-2019, 04:18 PM
Gezmonder
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would love to know how you got on with this Denzien. I have just taken ownership of a R57 and have too found the information on speakers conflicting.

I was amazed when I listened to the stock hi-fi, it's absolutely shocking! I may as well turn my cell on loudspeaker, it sounds better. Have the replacement speakers improved the sound without changing the head unit? Also what crossover did you get?

I've hear there is a channel swap cable to offload bass to the rear speakers but it's not recommended for the R57, probably because it doesn't have 6x9s and only 5.25s.

Originally Posted by Denzien
Confirmed 100mm (4in) in upper and 150mm (6in) in lower. Interestingly, the "6.5" Pioneers I installed (TS-A1606C) were slightly smaller than the stock 6" speakers and were easy to install with new holes. Meanwhile, 4" coaxials fit perfectly in the 4" holes. No more rattling on loud, bass-y parts. Stuffed the passive crossover behind the upper speaker, fabricated some mounts and replaced that speaker with the tweeter until I figure out how I want to mount them on the dash. Sounds at least as good as when the car was new. Will be even better when I finish everything.

Have not yet torn out the rear speakers - had a lot of work to the Jeep that superseded this project. Will report back with what I find.

Old 06-24-2020, 04:22 PM
Michael McVay
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I, myself, am curious about the speakers. We just acquired an R57 and at least one speaker is blown. It sounds horrible. I've looked at the BavSound replacements, but I think I can find something better for cheaper if I knew exactly what would fit