Navigation & Audio Garmin BC-30 Camera, anyone installed one?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 07:58 AM
Lucas63
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Garmin BC-30 Camera, anyone installed one?

Has anyone installed the Wireless Garmin BC-30 camera in a Clubman?
Just purchased a DriveSmart 61 LMT-S and the back-up camera would be a nice addition. Haven't really looked over the car yet, but seems like the choices to mount the camera are very limited.

Old 02-18-2018, 04:33 AM
umberto
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I bought a garmin Nuvi (i forget which model but i made sure it was BC-30 compatible) and the BC-30 at best buy and for $60 more they did the install on the BC-30 back up camera ...they hid all the wiring perfectly ....the transmitter is in the headliner above the boot and the receiver which is taped behind the Nuvi GPS is positioned semi-permanently in the space below the radio in front of the shifter, so a direct line of sight from transmitter to receiver ...note: my car is a 2016 4 door MC, not a clubman ....the back up camera works just fine even in very very dim lighting conditions ,,,syncs fine as the GPS screen switches to back up camera about one second after reverse is engaged ...also the guidelines are easily adjustable L and R and distance behind the car to whatever you are backing up into

Old 02-18-2018, 06:07 AM
Lucas63
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by umberto
I bought a garmin Nuvi (i forget which model but i made sure it was BC-30 compatible) and the BC-30 at best buy and for $60 more they did the install on the BC-30 back up camera ...they hid all the wiring perfectly ....the transmitter is in the headliner above the boot and the receiver which is taped behind the Nuvi GPS is positioned semi-permanently in the space below the radio in front of the shifter, so a direct line of sight from transmitter to receiver ...note: my car is a 2016 4 door MC, not a clubman ....the back up camera works just fine even in very very dim lighting conditions ,,,syncs fine as the GPS screen switches to back up camera about one second after reverse is engaged ...also the guidelines are easily adjustable L and R and distance behind the car to whatever you are backing up into
Nice. It seems that the hatchbacks are the easiest to install a camera. The Clubman is going to be a challenge. The factory camera would have mounted in the bumper above the license plate, so it's low to the ground. There isn't a knockout in that area on my car so a hole needs to be drilled. Then the wire on the BC-30, I'm told by Garmin is only 4' long between the camera and the transmitter, so it needs the 50' extension they sell to route the wire from the bumper into the right or left rear door to tap into the reverse lights. Then all of this my not even work because of LED reverse lights that I think the car monitors the voltage usage of and it may need coding to prevent an error code. The other option is to run the wire directly to the outlet socket in the back and power the camera constantly when driving then manually switch screens on the Garmin when backing up. May not be worth it. Hopefully there are other install options.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:18 AM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
I installed a BC30 to my 2595 LMT in my R56, unfortunately, the traffic stopped working.
Thought it was a bad cable, as the cable is the antenna. Garmin sent another cable, and still
no traffic, so it sits in a box.
If you have traffic, let us know if it still works.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:52 AM
umberto
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
hmmm ...why do you need the 50' wire? In mine, the transmitter is in the headliner just above the boot and that connect to the rear reverse light for power nearby ...a tiny hole was drilled to feed the wire for the camera and it is mounted just above the rear license plate. So wirelessly the signal is from the transmitter in the boot area to the receiver that is taped to the GPS which is the front dash area

where will your GPS be placed?

It does sync perfectly so that as soon as i turn my car on the map/GPS is running and then when i put the car into reverse it switch to the back up camera with only a one second delay

Old 02-19-2018, 06:48 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Lucas63
The factory camera would have mounted in the bumper above the license plate, so it's low to the ground.
I wouldn't consider the low position a deal-breaker. I put a backup cam at the plate in my spouse's Countryman. It's low but works fine--see my pics here:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4366294

So if you can work out the rest, go for it!

The following users liked this post:
shaggyone (12-14-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 01:23 PM
Lucas63
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by bratling
I wouldn't consider the low position a deal-breaker. I put a backup cam at the plate in my spouse's Countryman. It's low but works fine--see my pics here:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4366294

So if you can work out the rest, go for it!
Great idea using the switching relay and reverse light power line as a trigger.
I may try that.