R53 Factory Nav w/o Harman Kardon?? - North American Motoring

Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

R53 Factory Nav w/o Harman Kardon??

Old 10-12-2017, 01:50 PM
1st Gear

R53 Factory Nav w/o Harman Kardon??

I ordered a replacement JVC radio from Crutchfield and when I received it, there was a hand written note inside the box instructing me to call their tech services department. When I did, they explained to me that "since you have the factory navigation, you automatically have the upgraded Harman Kardon stereo" and I would need to bypass the amp by running new speaker wire. Does anyone know for certain that having the factory nav means you have the H/K system?

The Crutchfield guys are the experts, but I'm 99% sure I DO NOT have the H/K system. I just installed a set of 6x9's in the back and never noticed an amplifier, plus my front door panels do not have "Harman Kardon" speaker grills.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:03 PM
2nd Gear

quickest way to know is pull the cover on the right side in the back and see if there is an amp there. Which you probably would have seen when you installed the 6x9's. My guess is no HK then.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:52 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpDaddy View Post
they explained to me that "since you have the factory navigation, you automatically have the upgraded Harman Kardon stereo"
That is absolutely wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpDaddy View Post
I'm 99% sure I DO NOT have the H/K system. I just installed a set of 6x9's in the back and never noticed an amplifier, plus my front door panels do not have "Harman Kardon" speaker grills.
You are correct — your car doesn't have the H/K system. I'm surprised that Crutchfield gave you wrong information.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:54 AM
1st Gear

RKW - I was surprised too! But knowing Crutchfield were the "experts" in car audio installation, I was doubting myself. I even paid $25 extra so they could pre-wire the wiring harness, and they skipped the wires for the speakers due to the H/K amp. I'm going to ask for a refund on that! Thanks for your help everyone!