Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio 2006 hk, newer iPods supported?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 07:42 AM
Mini Putt
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
2006 hk, newer iPods supported?

Hi all,

I have a new to me first gen Mini Cooper s cabriolet 2006. It has the CD player head unit with hk, and a 36 pin iPod cable in the glove box.

Does anyone one know the latest versions of iPods supported that allow songs to be selected from the iPod when connected?

I habe a 3rd gen iPod nano. It plays great but you cannot select songs from the iPod. I read somewhere that some people had iPods work where you could select songs directly but some update happened and that function disappeared.

The ipod pod I have is on loan so looking to buy a replacement.

additionalky has anyone had any luck getting an old iPhone 3GS working as a music source with the mini? Or newer iPods with lightening port using some 36pin to lightening adapter?

cheers.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:22 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
On the 06 would assume you have a MINI radio box (it plugs into the back of radio and then another plug goes into the glove box or another place. If you do have the "Box", it will only read a IPod and then only if the IPod has the songs in "playlists". There is a Aux cable system that you can buy at someplace like ECS (I believe) that plugs directly into the radio. A friend just did this has has his phone connected to the radio now via a bluetooth system that will plug into the Aux jack.

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (09-25-2017)
Old 09-23-2017, 05:59 AM
Mini Putt
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by r53coop
On the 06 would assume you have a MINI radio box (it plugs into the back of radio and then another plug goes into the glove box or another place. If you do have the "Box", it will only read a IPod and then only if the IPod has the songs in "playlists". There is a Aux cable system that you can buy at someplace like ECS (I believe) that plugs directly into the radio. A friend just did this has has his phone connected to the radio now via a bluetooth system that will plug into the Aux jack.
Hi coope thanks for the reply.

i have the mini radio. I also have the mini official from factory iPod in cable in glovebox (came with an official congratulations manual from mini).

I can play songs by playlist buttons 1-5 on radio or randomise all songs button 6 on radio. I can also set up an album or artist playing prior to connecting the iPod and the mini will continue to play that album even though not on a playlist. However to change to a specific artist/album I have to disconnect the iPod make and play the selection then reconnect.

I have read that somewhere that users can continue to select directly from the iPod. This is why I am asking for iPod version recommendations. I can pick up a cheap on on eBay/amazon. But ideally it would not lock you out once connected to the mini.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:02 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Mini Putt
I can play songs by playlist buttons 1-5 on radio or randomise all songs button 6 on radio. I can also set up an album or artist playing prior to connecting the iPod and the mini will continue to play that album even though not on a playlist. However to change to a specific artist/album I have to disconnect the iPod make and play the selection then reconnect.
It doesn't matter which version of iPod you use. The official iPod adapter from MINI isn't capable of doing more. Even when it was released 14 years ago, it was primitive compared to the aftermarket iPod adapters of that era.

If you want more flexibility, the easiest thing to do is get an aux input cable for your radio, then you can control everything directly on the iPod. Otherwise get an aftermarket iPod adapter.

Last edited by rkw; 09-23-2017 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:10 AM
Mini Putt
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
It doesn't matter which version of iPod you use. The official iPod adapter from MINI isn't capable of doing more. Even when it was released 14 years ago, it was primitive compared to the aftermarket iPod adapters of that era.

If you want more flexibility, the easiest thing to do is get an aux input cable for your radio, then you can control everything directly on the iPod. Otherwise get an aftermarket iPod adapter.
i think aftermarket is the way so. Aux cable means no steering wheel/radio skip song option. Also possibly no iPod charging. Unless there is some sort cable and aux option. Is there a recommended adapter?

its odd I swear I found a forum where someone said the iPod did work as I want but then stopped after some update. I was hoping a newer iPod with the 36pin connector would allow direct control while connected to the car.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:07 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by r53coop
Its here:

Aux Input Cable Retrofit Kit Part # 82110153367 Pretty much anything with an audio jack.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ed-pics-9.html

And the very old Ipod retrofit kit.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...tallation.html

Gen 3 iPod SW 2.2 or newer
Gen 4 iPod SW 3.0 or newer
iPod mini SW 1.1 or newer
Will not work with iPod shuffle.
Not compatible with 5G video.

Pretty much the older Ipods with 30 pin right before the iPod video back in the day.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172