Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio can I use an old Alpine CD Changer??

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 07:41 PM
umberto
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
can I use an old Alpine CD Changer??

I just took out a trunk CD changer from my 1995 Dodge Neon. This was a dealer installed Chrysler part but I believe it was made by Alpine. There is only one cable connection...there is a model #04796875....the cable has a 1/2 inch cylindrical connector with 8 pins in a circle ( 7 pins in a circle with the 8th pin sort of in the center)

Does anyone out there know if this will work in my 2004 Cooper? (no HK, no nav, and I do have the aux input) Do I need some sort of adapter cable? Where find? How will the changer be controlled? What happens with the one CD slot on the HU ? Can all changers be mounted vertically...this one was mounted horizontally in the Neon but in the Cooper boot vertical would be better.

Would greatly appreciate any help on this!!!

Old 10-01-2004, 08:18 PM
White_Knuckles
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Basing this on experience the head unit will not interface with the remote changer without more R&D then you have time for.

That would be no for the question. You will need a same brand match.

Old 10-02-2004, 09:48 AM
umberto
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
the HU is an Alpine..right? The CD changer is also Alpine, I think....what makes it so that it will not interface correctly??

Old 10-04-2004, 06:34 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Alpine is very picky about which HU works with which CD changer...i had an old alpine cd changer, and i have the alpine 9833 in my car....but unfortunately they didnt work together

Old 10-04-2004, 07:17 AM
scotteast
Old School!
I'm using an Alpine changer in my MINI. I bought the changer and a Blitzsafe adapter from Crutchfield. I bought the MINI changer installation kit because I like the way it shields the changer from anything rolling around in the boot. Since your changer is older, I don't know if it will work.

The car is already pre-wired for the changer. I plugged the adapter to the wires that were already in the boot and the changer to the other end of the adapter. The controls on the HU (and the steering wheel) operate the changer with no problems. The single CD in the HU still works normally. I think most changers can be mounted horizontally or vertically. They usually have some sort of adjustment on the outside, so look for a screw with degree markings around it.

The other thing I'm not sure about is if you can use both a CD changer and the aux input. I thought I read somewhere that you can only plug in one or the other, but I may be wrong about that.

Old 10-04-2004, 08:56 AM
scotteast
Old School!
I went to the Blitzsafe website and found a list of Alpine changers that can be used with their adapter in the MINI. Follow this link to the list:

http://www.blitzsafe.com/blitz_catal...tz_cooper.html