Navigation & Audio How Best to Mount the Nuvi?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 07:15 PM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
How Best to Mount the Nuvi?

I have a Garmin Nuvi GPS unit and would like to mount it in my yet-to-be delivered justa F55.

Poured over a lot of threads.

I like the Click and Drive and Cravenspeed because they keep the Nuvi up higher where it's easier to see. Plus, I'm not enthused if all CS has now for a mount is that clunky spring loaded bar universal thing.

I also like the Click and Drive because it folds away when not in use.

I sat in a Cooper today.
It seems the windshield might be too far away for a suction mount.
There's a piece of dash to the left of the steering wheel that might accommodate a suction mount, but the surface of the dash might not be glossy enough for a long lasting suction grab.

A beanbag mount might also be a little far to reach.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:08 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Very strong magnet, if you have a good mount surface.
Amazon Amazon

Old 04-19-2017, 08:32 PM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
I have one similar to that only it attaches to a vent.
I think I'd prefer to keep the vent free and avoid gluing stuff to the plastic.
Makes for a clean look though.

I wonder if a flat strong magnet glued to the BACK of one of those plastic dash panel could be used. Wouldn't be seen, but the steel plate attached to the phone/gps unit would stick to it.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:12 AM
Landspeeder
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cravenspeed has a two piece mount that is very sturdy. It consists of the universal (Gen 3) bracket that fits on the back of your speedo unit, and a bar that attaches to the right side of the bracket. They will supply a Garmin specific adapter for the end of the bar to mate to the GPS unit. They have a pretty good video on their site giving mounting instructions.

You can remove and store the GPS unit when not needed and fold the mounting arm to a position that is less obtrusive.

A couple of cautions on installing the brackets. Use magnetized tools if possible. If your drop a piece of the fastening hardware into the dash it will probably be lost to the dashboard gods forever! Be certain that you securely re-seat the speedo unit wiring plug when you put things back together or you will get goofy info on the speedo info screen!

Recommend that you call them (pacific time zone) to discuss what you need as the web site does not show all of the options/bits and pieces that they have available. Really good people to work with!

Old 04-21-2017, 11:23 AM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear

I just picked up the MINI Click and Drive base mount for $109 at the dealer. It came with wiring that you connect to a 12 volt source and a converter that converts it to 5 vdc. There is a USB port on the mount. No USB cable is included. My NUVI clicked on very nicely to the removable ball on the mount. If I would want to put the NUVI away, I would remove the ball as well, I believe, and fold back the mount arm.

I am probably going to use it exlusively for the NUVI. However, I'm not crazy about the look of the Universal mount. There might be another alternative to connect with the ball...maybe a magnetic solution.

Then too, if one were to use this for a phone, would the power only usb connection be an issue?

Anyway, it seems to have good possibilities. Now all I need is a car, lol.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:11 PM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
The part number is 65902357445.
I ordered a 6" USB A to USB Mini connector from Amazon (USA located).
I found directions for the F56 which I uploaded.
Again, now all I need is the car...

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Click and Drive.pdf (355.9 KB, 113 views)
Old 04-26-2017, 04:07 AM
umberto
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
my nuvi is placed down in front of the shifter ....i stuck some spacers and the unit gets placed in there securely ,,,and is synced to its back up camera ..... it being down so low is not a problem to glance down for most times i use it but if i am using it for an extended trip to some unfamiliar destination, I have a system where the unit is temporarily placed snugly into a brace that gets pressed into the recess just above the radio

Old 04-27-2017, 04:37 AM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
I'm in the middle of installing it. Nothing's easy. I couldn't find a green/grey wire. Took the terminal block off (easy) to see the terminal numbers. Terminal 20 has a black/green wire on it instead of green/grey wire.

I have no idea how to get updated retrofit instructions. The TIS link I looked at also didn't agree: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ler/1VnXcLJ7PJ

I'm going to go with the assumption that terminal 20 is the right terminal and see what happens, lol.

All this was to try to do it in a mfr's recommended way. I could've hooked it up to the cigar lighter with an in line fuse!

Old 04-27-2017, 05:58 PM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
I installed it, using terminals 20 and 24 and it works.
Other observations:
-There's a negative battery extension post that can easily be disconnected, vs. taking off the battery cover, cowl, weatherstripping. Duh.
-I bought a 6" USB to mini usb wire for the Nuvi. Alas, the straight plug interferes with the bracket arm. I wound up bending it with a vise grip and pliers. It might be hard to a 6" long cable with the right angle connector.
-The wires tapped into are only 35 mm2 in cross section-the same as in the wires supplied in the kit; they're not too big, for sure, and the supplied connectors worked perfectly.
-I'm not that tall, but I can see the screen well. The lower left corner is a little obscured. I can see that a short person might have an issue, but I'm not sure.
-As far as removing the passenger side kick panel, first the sill guard plastic panel has to be removed. All the clips stayed in the body after pulling off the guard by hard. I pulled off the clips with a plastic pry bar, put them in the guard, and then pushed the assembly into the holes, tapping with a fist as a final flourish.
-I just poked a couple of hangers with rounded tips down from the cluster, and from right to left. Replaced them with some line and pulled the wire through.
-The voltage converter rests in there somewhere.

That's all I got. It looks like it belongs.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:31 PM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
Driving around, it does vibrate a bit, which isn't a surprise since its on the end of stick. Perfect location for me though.