Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Help please! Radio operated by ghosts!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 12:59 PM
mgalba
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help please! Radio operated by ghosts!

I have a 2005 Mini Cooper S with the factory radio. The radio is coming on with no key in the ignition on it's own. I came home after a trip and the car was dead had to jumpstart to get it going. Just tested it today and I manually turned the radio off when I got out of the car. I came out a few hours later and the radio was back on blaring with no key. Please help and thanks in advance.

Old 08-13-2016, 12:02 PM
Photodesign
2nd Gear
I found some info in this thread that might be helpful: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-ignition.html

"For the radio to work when the ignition is removed, the radio is powered by a constant 12 V line. It is also supplied with a switched line (accessory) that allows it to know when the ignition switched on."

You might have a short in your accessory line that is triggering the radio to turn on...

Also, according to this thread, adding an iPod adapter or AUX in can cause issues if there is a problem with the pins: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...0-minutes.html

Old 06-15-2018, 07:25 PM
FredD
Neutral
I have a 2005 mini std hatch back with same issue. When it happen initially my son had split a cup of coffee in it that day. When he got to work radio would not cut off when key removed. I call Mini since he wa 50 miles away. They said coffee may have got to a module controlling radio. I advised my son to find manuel and pull fuse to what appeared to control radio. This kept battery from draining and everything else seemed to work. I allowed any coffee to "dry out" and re-installed fuse. The "ghost" radio did not come on for a couple of days, then started same thing again. Removed fuse and drove for several months, then tried again. Worked fine for about 8-10 start cycles, then back to square one. Mini dealership indicated it could be one of two "modules". One cost over $600.00 and the other about $400. Since the car is 13 yrs old I do a lot of my own maintenance and asked about acquiring a used "module(s)" they indicated I could do that, but another vehicle module would require "re-programming" which is another $150 fee. Have read online this model may not have to be reprogrammed and vica versa. However, I think one of the modules (Basis Body Module" holds all the vehicle info readings, etc. so maybe so. Meanwhile, I'm keeping a trickle charger on the Ghost Radio at night, or pulling the fuse to same. Wish I could figure out how to fix without floating a small loan.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:58 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
What did the coffee actually spill on... the radio, dash, console, carpet?

Old 06-15-2018, 10:47 PM
FredD
Neutral
Not sure, since my son was driving, but think he had cup in cup holder on passenger side of radio.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:01 PM
FredD
Neutral
Radio, cd, etc. work perfect as long as car is switched on, and also works perfectly when it cuts itself on after key removed .... Just runs my battery down when I'm not expecting it to be on. Most times it will come on within less than a minute from removing key, but sometimes will give a chance to leave the car (several minutes or longer) only to find it on some time later. One interesting thing ....I recently replaced thermostat and exchanger to heater hoses (where they joined together there was a small leak). During this time I had battery unplugged all day. When I started car back it went for about 8-10 off and on cycles correctly before it started to cut itself back on again, which makes me wonder if some sort of negative grounding problem. However, no water problem from heater hoses after fix so that can't be involved now, assuming that could have been an issue, since radio problem happen long before (maybe a year) before water leak.