Navigation & Audio Mini connect

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 05:37 PM
MyOrangeOne
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini connect

I have a '15 mini and the NOT the updated Muni Connect app. I have used it for somethings but cannot seem to be able to get Mission Control nor Dynamic music to actually work. I did download each as shown on the app. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:25 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
I'm confused about this too. I also have a 15' Countryman with Mini Connected and Visual Boost. I downloaded the Mini Connected App on my iPhone 6 and and have the Spotify and Pandora apps. It appears you have to connect your phone using the USB port for Mini Connected to work, everything starts up, I have visual displays and controls for Spotify on the Mini screen but I have no sound. I can connect using Bluetooth and get streaming sound that way but I don't get the visual displays for Spotify or Pandora. Is there a Y cable required to get all this work? I called my Mini Parts Dept and they said there is no Y cable for a 15' Countryman and that it's not required. They said I could buy one for an older Mini but that I don't need it. I also tried connecting my phone using the USB port and the aux sound port on the phone and car but still no sound. I don't think they've come out with the iPhone 6 cradle for the armrest yet and not sure I want to pay $200 for it. Help

Old 09-26-2015, 09:58 AM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Benibiker
I'm confused about this too. I also have a 15' Countryman with Mini Connected and Visual Boost. I downloaded the Mini Connected App on my iPhone 6 and and have the Spotify and Pandora apps. It appears you have to connect your phone using the USB port for Mini Connected to work, everything starts up, I have visual displays and controls for Spotify on the Mini screen but I have no sound. I can connect using Bluetooth and get streaming sound that way but I don't get the visual displays for Spotify or Pandora. Is there a Y cable required to get all this work? I called my Mini Parts Dept and they said there is no Y cable for a 15' Countryman and that it's not required. They said I could buy one for an older Mini but that I don't need it. I also tried connecting my phone using the USB port and the aux sound port on the phone and car but still no sound. I don't think they've come out with the iPhone 6 cradle for the armrest yet and not sure I want to pay $200 for it. Help
Yes! Y-cable is required for all 2nd gen MINIs - even the 2015-2016 models. Parts guys seem to get confused about this since the new 2014+ Hardtops (which are 3rd gen MINIs and hence have a completely different platform) do not need the Y-cable.

Make sure you get the right Y-cable though - there are two. You want the MEDIA cable, not the MUSIC cable. There's an easy way to double check. The headphone jack on the MEDIA cable has three rings and no box where the cable splits. The MUSIC cable has only 2 rings and a box.

If you bought your Countryman new though, it should have come with a Y-cable, though it's usually the older one with the 30-pin connector instead of the Lightning connector. A simple 30-pin to Lightning adapter will make it work for your iPhone 6 though and you can buy one at any Apple Store, Best Buy, Target, etc. Parts will have the new Lightning Y-cable, but it doesn't come with the cars and ends up being around $80-90 if purchased separately. Save yourself some money and buy the adapter instead.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:04 PM
MyOrangeOne
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a Mini "y" cable for sale if interested.