Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Sirius Radio previously activated by owner?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 08:06 PM
Mini4Joy
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sirius Radio previously activated by owner?

Hi All,

First timer here. Just got a 2013 Cooper S Roadster (wifey loves it). It did not come with Sirius Radio from the factory and current no button shows on the radio (I do not have Mini Connected), but it is Sat Prep on the build sheet.

I received a letter from Sirius today showing that I have a 3 month trial subscription. It has a Radio ID number. I called Sirius to see if they can tell if the radio was previously activated and they couldn't tell.

Thus - has it been previously activated? If so, would the reactivation cost the same as it does after purchase ($375 +labor).

Wondering because Sirius says it's activated with 3 months free, but if I have to go through the same after purchase process with Mini, it already includes 1 year.

Thanks!

Old 01-09-2015, 10:50 PM
DRoc7822
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm wondering why would it be 375 + labor? I know the car comes pre wired for satellite radio. You just need to buy a specialized cord (20 bux) to plug into the wiring harness and then buy a receiver. Then call sirius/xm up and start the subscription. Thats what I was going to do at least before my car went down.

What I'm also curious about is how they know your the new owner of the car? Because I still get notices from sirius/xm about a old Subaru I had like 3 years ago about having a free weekend of satellite.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:09 AM
Mini4Joy
Neutral
Oops. Should have clarified.

My Roadster was purchased as a Mini Next (CPO) from a Mini Dealer. That's how Sirius got my info.

The built in SAT must have been activated by the original owner or else I wouldn't have gotten the notice correct?

Has anyone that hasn't had the built in sat activated gotten a letter from Sirius?

Old 01-12-2015, 08:41 AM
Blind Dog Daddy
2nd Gear
If no button is displayed when"Mode" button is pressed, then vehicle will need to be have Sat radio "retrofitted" by dealer. Not all cars came with Sat radio, those that didn't were prepped for Sat. Retrofit programming is all that is needed to make Sirius/XM icon appear in "mode" function. When codes are purchased from MINI and installed in car, a 1 year subscriptionis included.
Getting a letter from Sirius was probably generated by the purchase of the vehicle and had nothing to do with it. If car had been retrofitted by previous owner, "Sat" would still be under the "Mode" function button.