Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Adding a sub to a HK unit

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 05:15 PM
abel
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding a sub to a HK unit

Hi all,

I have the HK system in my mini. All things considered, I've been pretty happy with it. However, the other day, a 10-inch sub and an amp fell into my lap. Is there any problems w/installing a sub into a HK system? I did a search and I'm not sure what I read... Sounds like it can't be done easily without replacing everything?

Thanks,

--Abel

Old 07-12-2004, 06:35 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by abel
Is there any problems w/installing a sub into a HK system
Yes - there are problems.

The signal from head unit to HK does not vary with volume so if you connect the sub from there, it will have the same VERY LOUD LEVEL at all volumes :(

So instead, you will have to pick up the signal from the speaker outputs of the HK amp. Problem now is that the HK amp "did its stuff" to the signals.
Which speaker outputs are best to use - one of the two dual voice coil rear speakers? If so, which one? Or maybe the signal to the lower door speakers?

Depending on HK mode, the system uses the speakers differently, so what is good in one mode might not work well in another mode - you will need to do lots of experimenting.
If you do, write down all the results and tell everyone else

PS:
One possibility that worries me is that there might not be any low bass frequencies coming out of the HK amp for you to send to the sub. The HK amp does lots of digital processing so it might filter out the signals which it knows the speakers cannot handle.

Old 07-13-2004, 10:39 AM
YellowBellyMini
2nd Gear
All you would have to do is install a "bass ****"...just a seperate volume control for your sub. Very simple and inexpensive, you can even mount it in the back because you could just set it to a satisfactory level and then make adjustments with your factory stereo.

Old 07-13-2004, 10:43 AM
YellowBellyMini
2nd Gear
sorry... I have an Infinity Cappa Perfect 10 with an alpine v12 amp, that is making abot 320 w of power, and it was spliced off one of the rear speakers, if you do that then the volume will change with the stock unit, I would still recommend the bass **** though, as with mine, with the bass all the way down on the stock unit, it might still be a little loud for some people, but i like the way it sounds.