Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Burglar Alarm Choices

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 09:22 AM
JoeDentist
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burglar Alarm Choices

I'm not sure where to post this, but the Audio section is as good as any.

The last new car I bought was a 2003 Honda, which came pre-wired with remote entry and burglar alarm functions. You added modules which cost a hundred bucks or so for remote entry and 230 for burglar alarm.

What is the alarm situation with the Mini? Is this a pre-wired optional kit? Do you have to go aftermarket? Is the factory system, if it exists, a good one? What does a good quality alarm cost if you have to add it?

Old 07-03-2004, 12:51 AM
kbseto
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there's been alot of discussion on oem vs. aftermarket stuff. i'll reiterate my feelings on this.

i've got oem alarm. basically no false alarms, yet. i believe i'll get much less false alarms than aftermarket alarms with shock/impact sensors, if ever. and this is why i went with oem. besides the fact that the mini is already pre-wired and self install is so straight-forward. just gotta get the alarm coded in by the dealer. probably ~$300-$350 total for parts and coding charge.

had viper 300 on my p/u since '94, and as the years have gone by, the false alarms have increased. basically, the sensitivity of the shock/impact sensor has to be readjusted periodically. it can get so sensitive that the garbage truck driving by can set off the alarm, as the vibrations will trip the sensor.

some feel that the oem alarm sacrifices added security for less false alarms. this probably is true due to the fact that there is no shock/impact sensors. thus, it will not p/u vibrations, which in real-world terms would mean not p/u attempts at popping your lock or window. basically, less exterior protection.

but it will p/u any motion within the interior with its motion sensor. a tilt sensor will p/u any efforts at towing. and the siren is very distinct and quite possibly the most hurtful to the ears. so once the exterior shell is penetrated, the oem alarm will sound off with motion detection. in theory, this should cover broken glass, although one owner reported his window being broken without any siren going off.

alarms can vary widely in price. i'd say decent quality starts at ~$300. oem runs ~$600 if they do it all.