Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Sub on HK system

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 05:20 PM
FluxMaven
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sub on HK system

I just got my 05 pepper white MCS and while I like the HK system it wasn't exactly what I was used to so first off I got the aux input. For my bass craving I decided to just use what I had laying around plus a $10 PAC SNI35 Adjustable 2-Channel Line Out Converter. I removed the seats and rear panel to gain access to the factory amp and tapped into the front speaker outputs from the black part of the amp harness the wires were pins 31-34. Put everything back together and installed my Kicker zx650.4 with amp 1 off and amp 2 set to low pass filter. I tapped the rear cigarette lighter/power jack for the remote turn on. The battery is in the boot, so I just attached to the leads and ran the wires through the holes for the tie down loops. The sub I used is actually a Cambridge Soundworks 8" home theater sub that the plate amp went out on. The only other sub I have is a MTX 15" dual voice coil in a sealed box... I'm sure you can imagine that it wouldn't fit It actually sounds pretty darn good considering I used the LOC and an old home theater sub. It will shake the mirrors a bit but isn't obnoxiously loud to people outside of the car.

I just wanted to share all of this because it took me a while of searching the forum to figure out how to to this for a MCS with the HK system and It really doesn't sound too bad.

I plan on maybe putting a false floor with a tiny amp and a shallow mount 10"

After a lot of searching, this link basically answered everything I needed to know in order to do this project. http://gbmini.net/downloads/PGEN/learned.htm

Old 08-19-2014, 10:40 PM
FluxMaven
1st Gear
Changing things

Already changed it up. Came across a sweet craigslist deal. 10" Diamond audio in a sealed box with a Pioneer amp mounted. Also came with an extra sub, another Line Output converter, and all the wiring for a grand total of $50. The guy had just upgraded to a new car and didn't want to mess with installing it.

Attached Thumbnails Sub on HK system-2014-08-19-12.26.36.jpg  
Old 08-20-2014, 01:10 AM
VittorioS
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for posting this! I've been thinking about doing this but I always thought "It really can't be that simple," so I pushed myself away from adding a sub lol.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:38 PM
R53Andrew
1st Gear
Thanks for posting this! great read, and the link you posted is very helpful.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:01 PM
FluxMaven
1st Gear
Glad to be of some help. I originally didn't want to hack the car up or use up all the cargo space, but my car is just my daily driver and I rarely have more than a backpack with me. My wife loves bass and loud music too. So not only can I play with my Mini, I might get to install a sub in her 2012 Avenger. :D

If you do decide to add a sub, It is a bit of work getting all the interior panels off, but I did the whole thing myself in one afternoon and it was a fun project.