Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Confused: iPhone & Mini R56 LCI

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 03:59 AM
Sidewild
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confused: iPhone & Mini R56 LCI

I'm looking for some help as I'm really confused about the solution for iPhone/iPod in the Mini.

First off, my Mini has the standard audio system in it. I'm not sure what the option is called. I've got a PDF from the American web site that explains the connection; however it references package options in the explanation that I'm unfamiliar with, and I'm not sure what my Mini has besides basic. I've got a european standard Mini, at least that's what a website that I checked the VIN at said.

I want to be able to get the iphone working with the stereo, change tracks, see track names etc. I've done a lot of reading about the iPhone and the mini and read reports that the standard cable works. This doesn't work for me. It only charges. I've seen a video on YouTube of the '11 mini working with a pod or phone with a special cable, but it's American. I'm not sure if this is standard for all variants of the car. Logic tells me that it would work the same on them all, but who knows. The dealer and service centers here in Korea are full of complete morons and know nothing about this cable and say just to use the aux jack. I would really like to know if this cable works, and if anyone could point me to a place to purchase it.

Thank you in advance. Cheers.. .

Old 04-19-2011, 07:23 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Well to be able to help you out even more we need some more information.

What year is you car?

What model car do you have? Coope, Clubman, Convertible, Countryman?

Do you have NAV?

Do you have speakers in the A-Pillars?

Do you have a USB port under the window switches?

NO to let you know there are at least three (3) different part number cables and depending on the cable as to which iPods/iPhones it will work with. Now mostly that has to do with charging only but if you have the wrong cable for the car then there could be other problems.

If you do not have a USB port under teh window switches and you car is a 2011 with NAV then the USB port in the secret compartment is for NAV updates and CAN NOT be used for you iPhone.

So answer the questions above and I will come back with more info for you.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:53 PM
Sidewild
Neutral
Thank you for the quick reply! Three different cables,huh? Sheesh, they don't make it simple do they?

I thought that by mentioning that the car is an r56 would denote that it is a Mini Cooper (its an S) and by saying that it is an LCI, that it is a 2011. Is this wrong?

Now I'm assuming that the a-pillars are the pillars that support the windshield, and no there aren't any speakers there. There is a USB port under the window switches next to the aux (there's more than one?). The car doesn't have navigation.

Did you mean that the cable is dependent on the type of phone as well as the type of car? Or didni misunderstand that?

Thank you very much.. .this has been driving menmad for months.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:34 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Sidewild
Thank you for the quick reply! Three different cables,huh? Sheesh, they don't make it simple do they?
no they don't

Originally Posted by Sidewild;3265480I
thought that by mentioning that the car is an r56 would denote that it is a Mini Cooper (its an S) and by saying that it is an LCI, that it is a 2011. Is this wrong?
R56 covers 2007 to 2011 both copper and cooper S. Not sure what the LCI means.

Now I'm assuming that the a-pillars are the pillars that support the windshield, and no there aren't any speakers there. There is a USB port under the window switches next to the aux (there's more than one?).
A-Pillars are the ones that go up the sides of the windshield.

As there are no speakers there you have the Base Radio System.

If you had Navigation you would also have (because it is a 2011) a USB port int he Secret compartment or glove box for up dating of the system.

Did you mean that the cable is dependent on the type of phone as well as the type of car? Or didni misunderstand that?

Thank you very much.. .this has been driving menmad for months.
On the cable issue there are of issues:

1. Original cables in most cases do not charge iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4 because of a change on Apples part.

2. mid release cable worked for charging of all iPods/iPhone supossedly but not everyone got it to work

3. 2011 brought another change and from what I understand the two older cables may not work properly.

4. Then there is a cable specific to the MINI Connected system.

So as you see there could be many different issues.

I have another question few questions for you now.

1. Do you have a OEM CD player in the dash and if so does it say "BOOST" anywhere near the CD slot? I ask because European MINI's can have a less than Base System that we get in the uSA.

2. Does you radio display have a USB selection option? or is it just AUX?

3. If you can select USB option then can you use a USB Memory Stick and will it read the music and allow you to select the tracks etc?

I am hear to help so be patient and we should be able to get this solved for you.

Last edited by schatzy62; 04-20-2011 at 04:39 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:12 AM
Sidewild
Neutral
My understanding is that LCI denotes the 2011 redesign. Or maybe it was a different acronym? Hmmmm. I think that iw what I saw when I looked up the vin.

There is a cd player, but I'm not sure if it says boost, so ill have to check. Hopefully the girl chooses to take the bus tomorrow.

There is a USB option in the menu, but I haven't tested playing any files with it yet. Ill do that as well.

Thanks for the information/help once again.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:13 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Well we are getting somewhere.

In the selection menu you should have as follows

Tuner, CD , USB, AUX - if nothing is connected.

Tuner, CD, Ipod - when the iPod/iPhone is connected.

SO by using a USB Stick in the USB port you should be able to select USB and it will give you a list of music or folders depending on how you have it set up.

Check to make sure that works and if it does then see you can get a regular iPod (older one maybe two years old) to work.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:47 AM
MiamiGuitarMan
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm having a similar issue. I have a 2011 with the base boost system and with the OEM cable I can get my iphone to work and use all of the ipod features but the phone doesn't charge. I bought a longer cable for 10 bucks from amazon, this was a cable that someone here recommended on another thread, and now it charges but none of the ipod functionality works and on the car's display it says that it's not compatible.

I can work around it but I paid an extra 500 for the bluetooth/ipod usb feature and it would be nice if it worked. At least the bluetooth works fine.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:30 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Not that I can help with the iPod problem as I have yet to buy an iPod cable for the USB system (it would probably help to own an ipod too I suppose), but I can tell you the 2011 models are LCI.

And that is BMW speak for the mid-model cycle refresh or update. BMW does it to all/most of their vehicles part way through their model runs. It stands for "Life Cycle Impulse."

Old 04-22-2011, 07:43 AM
Sidewild
Neutral
I checked the stereo. It says Boost on the CD player! Moreover, I tried a USB drive. It worked! I could use the buttons on the steering wheel finally! A while back I tried a first generation nano, but that didn't work, at least not with the newer chord iPhone chord. I have no idea where that iPod is now. I may have sent it to the dump. I haven't been an Apple fan until this iPhone. I've resisted. Therefore, I won't be able to attempt using the nano again.

I'm really confused that GuitarMan can get his to work with the oem cable, but not me. It only charges for me.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:58 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Just a quick bit of history here: There was a big change that happened a few years ago with the ipod and the charging voltage. Originally iPods where connected only with Firewire. That is a 12V system. Later when they added USB support to the 30pin dock connector they had to include the 5V power supply that USB uses. So after a few years they ended the support for Firewire, hence the 12V power source was no longer used in newer iPods and iPhones. But pretty much all car devices uses the 12V pin because it is drastically easier. I

The other issue that iPods have is the current supplied by the ULF module is only 400mA. Whereas the iPods would like to have way more power than that. Even though your iphone doesn't show it is charging it is very likely it really is charging, but just at very slow rate.

Now sidewild's problem of only charging and not working, check your part number on your cable. It should be 61120440812. If not, that could be your problem. Also, make sure you iPhone is up-to-date on the software. It is somewhat possible there is something wrong with your ULF module as well and maybe a software update from the dealer would help.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:10 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by strobeyprobey
Just a quick bit of history here: There was a big change that happened a few years ago with the ipod and the charging voltage. Originally iPods where connected only with Firewire. That is a 12V system. Later when they added USB support to the 30pin dock connector they had to include the 5V power supply that USB uses. So after a few years they ended the support for Firewire, hence the 12V power source was no longer used in newer iPods and iPhones. But pretty much all car devices uses the 12V pin because it is drastically easier.
The 12V part is NOT an issue in the MINI for USB connection as the USB port MUST conform to a MINIMUM USB SPec. Which it does in most cases.

There are some ULF modules that will drop below the 4.8VDC spec of USB when it is trying to output its max current at 400MA so some items such as iPhones/iPods will not charge. This is very hard to prove to dealers though as most of them have no knowledge of USB specifications and if the tests that they run from MINI Corporate pass then there is nothing they can do to replace the module even though it realy does not meet the minimum specifications it should.

The other issue that iPods have is the current supplied by the ULF module is only 400mA. Whereas the iPods would like to have way more power than that. Even though your iphone doesn't show it is charging it is very likely it really is charging, but just at very slow rate.
as stated above sometimes if the ULF module is not quite up to spec it will not charge some of the iPhone and iPods.

Now sidewild's problem of only charging and not working, check your part number on your cable. It should be 61120440812. If not, that could be your problem. Also, make sure you iPhone is up-to-date on the software. It is somewhat possible there is something wrong with your ULF module as well and maybe a software update from the dealer would help.
As sidewild's USB port is working for a USB Stick I would suspect that the ULF module is good. But the programing may not be or the cable is bad which I have seen especially for one bought off of e-bay.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:40 AM
Sidewild
Neutral
Thanks a lot guys. Ummm, do keep in mind that the cable that I am using is the stock white cable (oem) from apple. I thought when Guitarman stated oem, this is what he was speaking about. Seems I may be wrong. But I have seen many reports that people got it to work. I think I mentioned all this in my first post. Sorry if I confused the issue thereafter. It seems I may have since I googled the model number strobeyprobey mentioned.

We have two iPhones, one is up-to-date, the other is running a slightly older iOS, but both don't work with Apple's cable in the sense of display & control, but they both charge fine. So, what I want is for them to function with the stereo, and I need to know what cable to get. Is the one listed by strobeyprobey they correct one?

I'm curious if Guitarman is using a MINI/BMW cable, or the white Apple one. And, if he is using a MINI/BMW one, will it charge with the Apple USB cable. If not, then it's the cable, not the car. Right? Which worries me because I really don't want to spend the price being asked for this damn cable if it doesn't charge the device.

Once again, thanks for the continuous help.. .

Old 04-27-2011, 01:23 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Definitely can't use the white Apple ipod usb cable (It would only work just for charging).

You need a special BMW cable with a male audio jack and usb port on one side (the audio plug needs to go into the AUX in) and the Apple dock connector on the other.

Your car should have included that cable (usually in the glove box). If not, you need to go back to the dealer and complain!!!!

Old 04-27-2011, 01:49 PM
CFRM
2nd Gear
I believe one of the changes for the LCI (Life Cycle Impulse) is the ability to use the stock apple cable. When I plug in my iPod touch 3rd gen I can get music, charge, track info plus album cover. All while controlling it with the steering wheel. My dealer charged me $70 bucks for the bmw cable that does exactly the same. Been fighting to get the Video Cable since I have Visual Boost...

Old 04-27-2011, 02:11 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
The regular BMW Y-cables still are valid part numbers for current cars. If the 2011's can use just the USB cable, that is a great, but really the owner's manual should say what is necessary for the iPod functionality. Since MINI doesn't post the radio manual online I can't confirm it.

If the dealer won't cough up the video cable it is part number 61122179623 and you can get it for about $60 at parts.com.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:31 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by CFRM
I believe one of the changes for the LCI (Life Cycle Impulse) is the ability to use the stock apple cable. When I plug in my iPod touch 3rd gen I can get music, charge, track info plus album cover. All while controlling it with the steering wheel. My dealer charged me $70 bucks for the bmw cable that does exactly the same.
I have heard reports both ways. SOme say it works and some say it does not work. I have no proof but it seems to be "Country" Specific as in some areas they do not get the "boost" radio the get a more basic radio unless ordered as an upgrade.

But it seems in North America that it does seem to work with the apple cable.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:53 PM
Sidewild
Neutral
Once again, thanks for all the feed back! Hopefully all of this will help out others as well.

I am confused by this issue. I would still like to be sure if the cable I need is the one that strobeyprobey mentioned above. And, if it is, is there any possibility of the cable not charging the iphone?

Moreover, I am confused as to why people are saying that the 2011 (LCI) model system will work with, and is designed to work with, the apple cable in some markets, because, according to this video on YouTube, it shouldn't. And this seems to be a video for the American market. It doesn't work with my Mini Boost CD system.. .

Here's the video --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plVkpSemzCQ

Here's to solving this soon!

Old 06-07-2011, 05:04 AM
Sidewild
Neutral
Now that I have returned from some other aspects of my life that put solving this issue on hold, I'd like to work this out. Should I order that cable?

Old 06-07-2011, 05:55 AM
ewmjr
1st Gear
I would go ask your dealer if that should have been included with the car. I bought mine used and there was no cable, but when I talked with the dealer the parts guy had one in a drawer that another owner said didn't work. We tried it on my '09 R55, it worked and he gave it to me for free!

When I plug it in I get a warning that it's not designed for my iPhone4, but I can use the stereo for playlists, etc. and I think it does charge the phone but slowly. I've been trying to track that part, but it's hard to visually compare the levels.

Good Luck with solving the puzzle because when it works it's great!

Old 06-07-2011, 06:13 AM
CaptainSteve
2nd Gear
Also make sure your iPhone has the a fairly recent software update. My sons iPhone would not iniitally work in my 2011 MCS. Once we updates the software it started working.

I use only the MINI supplied Y cable. I have not tried the Apple white cable, so I don't know if that will work or not.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:47 AM
uhebeisen
Neutral
no USB connector at all

hi all,
I have just received our new MINI Cooper (Bakerstreet) a few weeks ago and the story about connecting an iPod/iPhone reads similar to this thread.
What I have figured out so far is that it is a model R56N or R56LCI (Fahrgestell-Nr. last 7 digits:T08 8803).

Things are even worse here since there is no USB connector below the window switches, there is just the AUX-IN connector.

What are my possible options to get an iPod/iPhone connected to the audio and control the Apple device from the audio device (Boost CD)?

I can not believe that this shouldn't be possible as the MINI dealer told me. What about the iPod interface kit or the USB/iPod interface kit sold from MINI? Are there other alternatives like Dension or Parrot?

Thank you for your assistance.

ps here's a photo of my audio installed (just Tuner - CD - Aux)

Old 09-10-2012, 06:59 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by uhebeisen
hi all,
I have just received our new MINI Cooper (Bakerstreet) a few weeks ago and the story about connecting an iPod/iPhone reads similar to this thread.
What I have figured out so far is that it is a model R56N or R56LCI (Fahrgestell-Nr. last 7 digits:T08 8803).

Things are even worse here since there is no USB connector below the window switches, there is just the AUX-IN connector.

What are my possible options to get an iPod/iPhone connected to the audio and control the Apple device from the audio device (Boost CD)?

I can not believe that this shouldn't be possible as the MINI dealer told me. What about the iPod interface kit or the USB/iPod interface kit sold from MINI? Are there other alternatives like Dension or Parrot?

Thank you for your assistance.

ps here's a photo of my audio installed (just Tuner - CD - Aux)
Big question is "Did you order the USB option?" it comes with one of the bluetooh options. If you did not order it then the car "will not have it"

There are other options out there like Fiscon and Parrot.

There is also a iPod Interface that I know works with the R56 non LCI not sure if it is compatible with the R56 LCI versions of the radio. That would be something to check on with the dealer.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:51 AM
uhebeisen
Neutral
the dealer just offered my one Bluetooth/USB option (prepare for a hands-free phone equipment) and that's something I wouldn't get.
But I have seen the iPod interface on the accessories page and asked him for that one. When the MINI arrives it didn't come withe iPod interface kit. No idea if he didn't order it or if it wasn't compatible? Strange thing anyway.

I will check with another dealer about the iPod or USB/iPod interface and my type of MINI.

And I will check the Fiscon solution, I didn't know about it. Thank you.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:46 AM
ocazus
Neutral
@schatzy62 Perhaps you can help me out --

I have a 2007 Mini Cooper S, with factory Navigation system, speakers on the A-Pilars, Bluetooth, Sirius Satellite, CD Changer Prep (Prep only, not CD Changer). It also has the arm-rest connector that can be used for the snap-in cradle.

I have tried two different cradles -- one all black, for iPhone 4/4S which only charges but plays no music. One that says MUSIC on it, but still only charges but plays nothing.

The car shows Aux (no USB) option on the nav system. There are NO USB connectors under the dash or in the glove or secret compartment.

I had Mini dealer install the iPod Interface Adapter that goes inside the secret compartment but, putting aside the fact that the on-screen interface is not the most user-friendly, the thing doesn't charge my iPhone 4S.

The dealer claimed that it doesn't charge the iPhones, but that it would charge the iPods. So I plugged in two different iPod nanos and they don't charge either. The ipods say that charging is not supported with this accessory. One of the ipods shows the Mini logo on the screen.

The part the dealer installed is 65-11-0-035-959. Did they install the wrong part? Is there a newer part that would work with my car, which can also charge the iPhone 4S?

This job cost $600+ and for it to not charge is ridiculous. I could have done the same thing with a $3 cable. I wanted the more integrated connector with charging capabilities, but the dealer seem to have no clue as to what is going on.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:47 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by ocazus
@schatzy62 Perhaps you can help me out --

I have a 2007 Mini Cooper S, with factory Navigation system, speakers on the A-Pilars, Bluetooth, Sirius Satellite, CD Changer Prep (Prep only, not CD Changer). It also has the arm-rest connector that can be used for the snap-in cradle.

I have tried two different cradles -- one all black, for iPhone 4/4S which only charges but plays no music. One that says MUSIC on it, but still only charges but plays nothing.

The car shows Aux (no USB) option on the nav system. There are NO USB connectors under the dash or in the glove or secret compartment.
If you do not have a USB connector then you do not have the USB option and as such will never be able to play music from a cradle. In 2007 the USB option was not available. Although some very late (built after june 2007) did have the upgrade.

I had Mini dealer install the iPod Interface Adapter that goes inside the secret compartment but, putting aside the fact that the on-screen interface is not the most user-friendly, the thing doesn't charge my iPhone 4S.
that is correct and in fact because of the way Apple changed the charging circuits in ALL of the iPods/iPhones that system will not charge any of the newer than 2009 iPods/iPhones

The dealer claimed that it doesn't charge the iPhones, but that it would charge the iPods. So I plugged in two different iPod nanos and they don't charge either. The ipods say that charging is not supported with this accessory. One of the ipods shows the Mini logo on the screen.

The part the dealer installed is 65-11-0-035-959. Did they install the wrong part? Is there a newer part that would work with my car, which can also charge the iPhone 4S?
Unfortunately that is the only part number and it has not been updated to handle the latest iPods/iPhones for charging.

This job cost $600+ and for it to not charge is ridiculous. I could have done the same thing with a $3 cable. I wanted the more integrated connector with charging capabilities, but the dealer seem to have no clue as to what is going on.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.
Unfortunately i dont have any good news for you on the money that you spent.

The only way to charge a iPod/iPhone in your car is to have one that is much older. iPhone 3 or before or gen 4 iPod or before.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Confused: iPhone & Mini R56 LCI