Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Checking for bad channel

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 07:54 AM
1REDMINI
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just finished installing new speakers front and back, using Polk Db6500 6.5" components in the front, and Db6900 6"x9"s in the rear. While I was installing the front speakers I noticed the driver's side wasn't nearly as loud as the passenger's with the OEM speakers. I checked all connections and contacted Crutchfield's technical advisors twice to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong. I am getting sound - just not nearly as much as the other side. I went ahead and installed the new speakers on the passenger side as well and the same condition exists, so I know I wired everything ok. Could one of the channels in the HU have crapped out? Is there any EASY way to check this?? I am swapping out the HU with a new Sony 5705, but if the OEM unit has gone bad I'd like to get it made good under warranty in the meantime. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-17-2004, 07:58 AM
bigpmj
4th Gear
Thats funny, because the EXACT same thing happened to me last month in my Mustang. Every speaker sounded perfect, except for the drivers side. I had to put my head all the way down to the speaker to hear it. I would love if someone knows whats goin on. I sold the car, but still. :smile: Id like to know what the poor sap who bought my car is gonna have to deal with! :smile: lol

Old 05-17-2004, 11:51 AM
donut
2nd Gear
Check your balance.

Just kidding... Take it to the dealer and play dumb. Let them check it out under warranty.

-Donut

Old 05-18-2004, 05:36 AM
1REDMINI
1st Gear
I fixed the problem! There is a set of wires that goes to the tweeter that don't end up being reconnected and I had cut the wire and capped the two wires off together (don't know why I didn't simply leave the original connector in place) and the audio signal was still being fed through those wires and since they were in contact with each other they were canceling out the sound - or most of it anyway. The wires on the passenger side I had simply taped off so they weren't coming in contact with each other so no problem. The thought came to me after going to bed last night so I got up early and in 10 minutes the repair had been completed. By the way, the trim surrounding the door handle and the tweeter doesn't have to be pulled off prior to removing the door panel. It's not hard to get off, but if you want to ensure that you don't break any of the clips on the back side of this piece remove the panel and remove the trrim piece from behind.