Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio HELP! Need Stock Radio Display, Lower Speedo Portion

Old 05-24-2013, 03:48 PM
MiniFlip
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! Need Stock Radio Display, Lower Speedo Portion

Hey Everyone,

I was trying to remove the stock radio display (Lower portion of the speedometer). When removing the silver ribbon cable The pins ripped right out of the board I can not find that 50 pin connector to re-solder so I am kinda SOL. If anyone knows where I can purchase a new board or a whole new assembly, would be most helpful.

I know a lot of people put in the aftermarket radio and delete that display portion. If anyone would like to get rid of one I would be glad to take that off your hands. Needs to be the newer black one or compatible with a 2011.

Thanks!

Old 05-25-2013, 11:20 PM
tommydh
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a stock HU sitting in my shed. Its the older style but you may be able to use the ribon cable. Or if you know anyone with a broken LCD, LED or such TV open one up I find the exact cable alot. I am planning on doing the relocation but I may be getting a JCW soon so no need for stock that I have laying around.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:32 AM
alexs3d2
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Would be helpful to take a picture of the ribbon cable/connector you broke. Most connectors on the MINI are made by TE. There catalog include 3D PDFs which show the connectors. From then on, it may be easier to search using there part number for ways to acquire it.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:46 AM
MiniFlip
1st Gear
tommydh, I am not sure they are compatible... If they are, I would gladly take the assembly off your hands for you . I broke the connector that connects the ribbon... I would need to replace that whole circuit board. Much appreciated if it works out!

alexs3d2, Awesome! Below is a photo of the connector and ribbon as well as the board that is on the back of the radio display.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:44 PM
alexs3d2
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Why don't you try to solder it back on? I think the hot air method should work in this case... If you feel not doing it yourself, why not ask at an electronics repair outlet? Otherwise, I doubt you will find the board as a part. TE makes the connectors, not the boards.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:11 PM
celestialarrows
1st Gear
So I just did the same thing while doing a radar detector install. I took it out to have some room and dropped it and managed to pulled the connector as well. were you able to solder yours back on or where you able to just get a new lower half and just plug it in? Any in formation would be greatly appreciated