Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio MINI Connected retrofit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 11:30 AM
Eddie Nelson
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MINI Connected retrofit?

Hey guys, I browsed the MINI Connected thread, but didn't see an answer for me.

I just got a 2012 MINI Cooper S Hardtop and I was wondering if there was a retrofit option for this model? If this isn't possible, what are some worthy alternatives? Thanks!

Old 10-20-2012, 07:33 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Eddie Nelson
Hey guys, I browsed the MINI Connected thread, but didn't see an answer for me.

I just got a 2012 MINI Cooper S Hardtop and I was wondering if there was a retrofit option for this model? If this isn't possible, what are some worthy alternatives? Thanks!
Although any thing is possible it would at this point be cheaper to sell the car and buy one with Connected installed. Parts alone will run you over 2k and if you dont already have NAV then it will be even more. Plus there will be taking apart a whole bunch of the interior to get all the new wiring installed.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:31 PM
Eddie Nelson
Neutral
Originally Posted by schatzy62
Although any thing is possible it would at this point be cheaper to sell the car and buy one with Connected installed. Parts alone will run you over 2k and if you dont already have NAV then it will be even more. Plus there will be taking apart a whole bunch of the interior to get all the new wiring installed.
Yeah, I recently got an answer from MINI themselves. They say it's impossible. That's a shame, because had I known, I wouldve waited.

Do you know of any comparable alternatives? The problem I have is that I have 120gigs of music and the iPod navigation on the stock stereo is horrible. At this rate, I will never listen to any artist after 'C.'

Old 10-21-2012, 02:49 AM
an2
2nd Gear
Disclaimer: I can't vouch for this personally at all since I've never used one. But when I went looking for an alternative to getting the USB and Bluetooth retrofit a while ago I heard good things about the Parrot systems.

They have direct iPod/iPhone support plus USB for Android or memory sticks, gives you bluetooth calling and phonebook access, etc etc etc. You can also buy an adapter to hook it into the stock steering wheel controls. The high end one comes with a seperate little screen for your track browsing.

That one is about $180 on Amazon - much cheaper than the retrofit; and it seems to get an average of 4-4.5 out of 5 on reviews I came across. The steering wheel adapter is another $100. I've seen some bad reviews from a few years back, but it seems that they've worked out bugs over time.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:15 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by an2
Disclaimer: I can't vouch for this personally at all since I've never used one. But when I went looking for an alternative to getting the USB and Bluetooth retrofit a while ago I heard good things about the Parrot systems.

They have direct iPod/iPhone support plus USB for Android or memory sticks, gives you bluetooth calling and phonebook access, etc etc etc. You can also buy an adapter to hook it into the stock steering wheel controls. The high end one comes with a seperate little screen for your track browsing.

That one is about $180 on Amazon - much cheaper than the retrofit; and it seems to get an average of 4-4.5 out of 5 on reviews I came across. The steering wheel adapter is another $100. I've seen some bad reviews from a few years back, but it seems that they've worked out bugs over time.
This system is in no way similar to MINI Connected, MINI Connected doe a lot of other things the Parrot system will not do.

And it sounds like the OP already has the USB/Bluetooth system in the car. It is just that the OEM integration of the Ipod is horrible.

Do you know of any comparable alternatives?
There are not comparable alternatives without changing out the head unit and that is a problem in itself as well.

The problem I have is that I have 120gigs of music and the iPod navigation on the stock stereo is horrible. At this rate, I will never listen to any artist after 'C.'
Many people have had this problem with less music than you. And their solution is to make up a playlist for each letter of the alphabet and then you have much quicker access to each letter of the alphabet. And in fact some have even gone to having for example A-AM and AN-AZ playlists for letters that have larger numbers of artists that all begin with a specific letter.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:46 PM
Adam Franklin
Neutral
I have a 2009 Clubman, and the biggest disappointing for me is the audio system. I have an iPod which I plug into the aux port, or the FM transmitter only when I need to charge it because it sounds like crap. The place where I bought the car had one with the sunroof and the usb audio system, but it was Hot Chocolate and I just couldn't get over all that brown. Now I wish I had. I'd like to be able to plug in a portable USB harddrive like I did with my old cars JVC aftermarket unit, and ideally control it with the steering wheel controls, and see the titles on the digital display. It seems like what I want is $1000+.....Unless there are any other ideas out there.....Shoulda got over the Hot CHocolate and went for the features I wanted I guess.

At this point I would settle for an iPod connector cable which branches to aux and cigarette lighter power ends, preferably black and a coiled (telephone style) cable....if anyone has seen this.

Last edited by Adam Franklin; 04-30-2013 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Addendum
Old 05-01-2013, 08:52 AM
coelacanth
2nd Gear
I take it OP is not talking about just music streaming via USB/Bluetooth (that Parrot or other 3rd party solutions can do) but more of MINI Connected specific abilities like Pandora, Twitter, possibly navigation, etc.

My solution to that was simple: CravenSpeed's FlexPod with scissor mount. I just have my iPhone sitting right next to steering wheel where I can glance info without taking my eyes off the road. I just have USB charging ports in 12V socket and retractable Lightening cable for charging, and music is played through bluetooth. (or Aux if you prefer) Waze works great for navigation and there are so many other options out there.

I think it is a better solution than Connected in a way as you get a lot more flexibility of what you can do and what apps you run, and you can "upgrade" the solution with new phone, new app, new OS whenever they become available. I'm usually not a big fan of infotainment system on cars as they become painfully outdated in a matter of few years. (and very expensive to fix after warranty runs out) I get that MINI Connected is a lot better than other systems, but I like keeping the car simple and classy while the latest smartphone + FlexPod take care of the best available techs and apps of one given time.

So to answer OP's question on the alternatives, mine is a smartphone + FlexPod mount.

And personally, I'd get a MINI without Connected (or any big center displays) again if I were to get one today.

Last edited by coelacanth; 05-01-2013 at 08:57 AM.