Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio stereo not seeing an aux connection

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 09:13 PM
ninasclubman
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stereo not seeing an aux connection

just drove home in a our new (to us) '10 clubman....and can't get the stereo to recognize an aux signal. or usb, for that matter. we have the ipod connecter...and it does charge the ipod...but when we go to TRY to select ipod/usb/aux (any of those!)....it won't do it. radio is fine, cd is fine.

is there another setting we need to check? should we go back to the dealer and have him sort it out?

Old 07-01-2012, 09:17 PM
ninasclubman
Neutral
just to be clear -- we've tried several connections -- ipod connector to ipod, ipod connector to iphone, and then a straight aux cable only....none worked.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:56 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
A couple of questions.

Have you tried to pair your bluetooth phone with the car?

If so does it work, i.e. can you make a call out and receive a call on it?

do you have NAV?

Do you have buttons on the steering wheel?

What selections do you have when you go into the audio menu with nothing connected and can you select any option other that CD or Tuner?

Have you checked the AUX volume adjustment? it should not be able to turn the volume off but it can really reduce the volume.

Also of note is that each input has its own volume settings so if you can select the AUX input. Select it and turn the volume up and then try to play something.

After you have answered the above maybe we can help some more.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:30 AM
MiamiGuitarMan
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is it that the aux option is missing when you have the ipod/iphone connected using the Mini ipod cable?

Mine has a strange bug that if I have the phone connected using that cable, when I go into the menu to pick an audio source the aux option is gone. What I do is simply unplug the phone, then the aux option shows up, I select it, then I plug the phone in and I can use it.

Not sure if this is the same problem you're having or not.

Anyway, I just got rid of my iphone and replaced it with the new Samsung galaxy S3 so no more of those issues for me.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:08 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MiamiGuitarMan
Mine has a strange bug that if I have the phone connected using that cable, when I go into the menu to pick an audio source the aux option is gone. ...
This is not a bug it is normal operation. There are a couple reasons for this.

1. With an iPhone or iPod connected you will loose the AUX connection as the software in the car knows it will be using USB for contol and AUX for audio so there is only one possible connection type and the display should change to iPod.

2. If using a USB Stick or other Mass Storage Device (many phones can be set to this) then the AUX is dropped as an input as there is only one (1) audio input to the radio for the USB/AUX system and the A to D converter in the ULF module take precedence thus shutting off the AUX input. And if it si not available it will not show.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:03 AM
MollyMac
Neutral
Just drove home my first Mini Cooper S (2008). I love the car..audio not so much. I, too, do not see the "aux" option after USB on the audio menu. And I can't get mp3 player to play through the radio using USB. And don't even get me started on the blue tooth set up. Help!!