Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Samsung Galaxy Note: Mount, Torque and NAV Apps?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 09:50 AM
BlackIce
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Samsung Galaxy Note: Mount, Torque and NAV Apps?

Anyone in Euroland already have a Samsung Galaxy Note mounted up in their Mini? Preping for it's release here in the US and looking for the best way to mount it in drivers view. What are my options for this large 5.3" screen Phablet?

What Droid based NAV App will be best suited for the Note? Completely new to the large cell phone screen experience and NAV or mobile internet connections of any kind.

Really want to try out the Droid Torque App on a Note as well to get some temp and pressure feedback while driving. As I understand it from a post in the interior section you can run this Bluetooth App and the Mini Bluetooth phone connection at the same time without problems. Is this true?

Love the hands free Bluetooth experience in my new Mini so far. Thanks for your help.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:53 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackIce
Anyone in Euroland already have a Samsung Galaxy Note mounted up in their Mini? Preping for it's release here in the US and looking for the best way to mount it in drivers view. What are my options for this large 5.3" screen Phablet?
Can't help you with the mounting issue but for my Droid X I use a modified Craven Speed Mount that attaches to the back of the Tach. Check them out at Cravenspeed.com

What Droid based NAV App will be best suited for the Note? Completely new to the large cell phone screen experience and NAV or mobile internet connections of any kind.
With an Android based phone you natively have Google Maps and Google Navigation. Both work wonderfully for what they are designed for. And the nice thing is that they are updated continuously so that you have the latest NAV going.

Really want to try out the Droid Torque App on a Note as well to get some temp and pressure feedback while driving. As I understand it from a post in the interior section you can run this Bluetooth App and the Mini Bluetooth phone connection at the same time without problems. Is this true?
Use torque and my phone for calls both over bluetooth with out a problem every day. The each use different bluetooth properties so there is no interference.

Love the hands free Bluetooth experience in my new Mini so far. Thanks for your help.
Glad to hear you are happy with it.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:32 PM
BlackIce
4th Gear
Thanks! I'll have to see if that phone mount will expand large enough for the Note. Does it stay in there by just squeezing the sides of the phone without a bottom support?

Took a while to learn the correct buttons to hit when using the mini Bluetooth, but I'm greatful to be able to take an incoming call so easily while driving. No more 360* review for cops before picking up and no continuously looking around when talking for the men in blue either...

Everything else once I get the Droid Note will be icing on the cake!

Old 01-19-2012, 09:06 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Check out the Pro-Clip options for dash mounting. I have my Sirius tuner mounted in one.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:30 AM
WhoIsPurpleGoo
2nd Gear
i would avoid the cravenspeed flexpod mounts. not that they're not high quality products, but because of the weight of your device. there's no way to secure it so it doesn't bounce. if there's a fixie mount option, i'd go with that. otherwise, go with a kuda mount. they're a bit more difficult to install, but you won't get any movement.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:55 PM
BlackIce
4th Gear
Pro-Clip, thanks:
http://www.proclipusa.com/

Fixie mount? Like this one:
http://www.cravenspeed.com/flexpod-fixie-iphone-mount/

Kuda, thanks:
http://www.kudausa.com/kuda-custom-l...mini-k478.html

I like the brackets that bolt to the back of the tach. They seem solid.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:08 AM
WhoIsPurpleGoo
2nd Gear
Pro-Clip, thanks:
http://www.proclipusa.com/

Fixie mount? Like this one:
http://www.cravenspeed.com/flexpod-fixie-iphone-mount/

Kuda, thanks:
http://www.kudausa.com/kuda-custom-l...mini-k478.html

I like the brackets that bolt to the back of the tach. They seem solid.

yep, that's the fixie mount. the only difference between that and the flexpod is the arm doesn't adjust, which is why it won't bounce with road vibrations. it's a really easy install. i'm not sure they have a fixie for your specific device, but i know if you reach out to the guys at craven they might piece one together for you. they're pretty good about stuff like that.

btw, if you go with this mount, take your time installing it onto the tach. it's really easy to strip the plastic in the tach when tightening.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:41 AM
BlackIce
4th Gear
Anyone already pick up a Samung Galaxy Note this week and try it out on their Mini?

Here's Samsungs Vehicle Navigation Mount:
http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cel...ECS-K1E1BEGSTA

Looks like you could remove the piece that holds the phone firmly and attach it to a mounting plate off the rear of the tach or elsewhere, or use it as is.

Please post up a picture if you have the Note mounted and running the Torque app!!!

Old 02-22-2012, 06:25 PM
05r50
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Friggin huge. That is all I can say. I didn't get one, but I was able to put my hands on a demo unit at my local BestBuy mobile store.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:49 AM
BlackIce
4th Gear
Yeah, that's what I like about it! I'll be waiting for the ICS Unlocked/Unbranded USA 4G LTE version to come out if I get one to justify the longevity of the purchase.

It's a multifunction tool for me (non-contract WiFi Internet use is key) and the Bluetooth Torque APP eliminates a guage purchase. The phone purchase is cheaper than buying a set of analog guages. I'm not a big cell phone "call" user and when I do, it is normally from my car through the Bluetooth hands free system. May even leave it in my car much of the time unless at home.

I'll have to go check it out in person now that it is released for AT&T.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:11 PM
rum4
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With the torque app do you need a OBD-II device so the phone can be used as the gauges?

edit never mind found the answer

Last edited by rum4; 02-26-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:31 AM
BlackIce
4th Gear
Yeah, there are a couple threads here that talk about the Torque app.

Here is their dedicated site Torque-BHP.

And here is a Torque Android App Review & OBDII Bluetooth Adapter on YouTube.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:03 AM
05r50
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 05r50
Friggin huge. That is all I can say. I didn't get one, but I was able to put my hands on a demo unit at my local BestBuy mobile store.
So I just remembered that I took some pictures of the Note next to my Iphone 4. You can see just how large it is here.

Attached Thumbnails Samsung Galaxy Note: Mount, Torque and NAV Apps?-img_3050.jpg   Samsung Galaxy Note: Mount, Torque and NAV Apps?-img_3052.jpg