Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Power source for GPS hardwire install

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 02:42 PM
gnhovis
Reverse
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've read various threads about aftermarket GPS installs and have come up with my own cunning plan. (Any Blackadder fans out there?...) I have an '04 MCS with the H/K head unit. I was reading about Nick Presley's XM install (http://nickpresley.com/xm/) and thought I could do something similar with my GPS.

I have a small magnetically mounted external antenna I could mount near the radio antenna, route the cable down to the stereo compartment in the back. For now, I'll route a cable up to the front along the center console to my Palm PDA. In the future, I will be using a Bluetooth GPS that will stay in the stereo compartment. What I need is 12vdc and ground to hook to my gps. (The cool thing about this GPS unit is that it powers the Palm as well so even if I upgrade to bluetooth, I'll still have to plug the Palm in somehow... Let's see, iPod, mobile phone, Palm: how much will one cigarette lighter socket take?)

So my question is how/where can I find power and ground inside the stereo compartment for use with my GPS and still be able to add a Blitzsafe unit for XM at a future date? Any advice appreciated.
GeorgeCo | GPS PDA Connectivity

Old 02-17-2004, 06:04 PM
Smokey
6th Gear
Best bet, Add-a-Circuit

Clean and easy!

Ground can be found under the knee bolster, just to the left of the steering wheel there is a screw that can be used. Look at the Detector direct to Battery post for more methods.

What Blitzsafe model are you planning on using? I ask only because I know of none that would conflict with a power port / additional power mod up front. All Blitz's I know of are mounted in the trunk, and only require an imput cable to be run up front.

Good Luck

Old 02-18-2004, 03:59 PM
Motoring
5th Gear
Mikeythemini at New MINI Stuff, a sponsor on MINI2 sells an adapter that plugs in between the factory deck and the factory wiring harness that provides a switched power and ground. Perfect for your use.